How old is too old for higher education?

SapphireStar

♥ FFF's Matt Bellamy Pervert ♥
Veteran
Gil
K, well Im now 25 and never graduated from university due to funds. I left in 2007 and I do regret it. So I recieved a letter from Manchester College today regarding my application I sent last year. Im very happy, but at the same time Im worried. People usually frown on those who want to go into higher education over a certain age. But my aunt, whom is 50 this year, has a degree in I.T.

But cause I live with my grandfather who thinks education is a big waste of time, Im dreading telling him that Im going.

So in your opinion, is there an age where people should stop going into higher education? Are you in higher education yourself?

I think Higher Education is there for everyone who can use it. I'd say if you were going into Higher Education to get a degree, but then you couldn't do anything with it because of your age, then it's pointless.

As long as you can get something out of Higher Education that can justify all the hours of hard work and the amount of money you spend on it, then it's always worth it.

I dont think there really is an age when you can't do it. It always look good that your willing to broaden your horizons.
And as Vikki said, if you can get something out of it then definetley go for it:)

In my opinion, you can never be too old to learn. Learning has never harmed anyone and in this day an age, you need an education to earn a salary in the higher brackets. Also, having little to no education means that you're likely to get jobs that offer little satisfaction and won't go very far in terms of promotion and stuff like that.

To me, going back to college seems like a fantastic choice.

I have people on my University course who look like they're in their mid 40's. Being 25 is no biggy!

I'm Vikki :wacky:

I think any age is fine for Higher Education. Hell, I want to get into it myself next year. This year I'm looking to start a course in September which will help me get onto a better course next year.

Don't feel ashamed, SS. It shows that you're willing to get educated still, despite being past the usual school age. I know people who are still going into Higher Education and they're in their thirties. There's no age limit in learning. :3

I don't care how old you are, if you want a higher education, go for it. Personally, I wouldn't look down on anyone that wanted a better education. Whether it be a job, or just because you feel like enlightening yourself.

While not being in college and the moment myself, you can bet your ass I'll be going back. :yay:

As someone whose 1 year sabbatical turned out to last 5 years, I wholly support all other slightly older people in their endevour to get a higher education ;) When I went back to school this year, I was afraid that I'd be the oldest student in my class. Turns out that I am actually one of the younger ones!

You never get too old to learn.

Hmm my opinion is this, even if I never go back to college I wish I could go back to become bilingual. I really want to learn 3 more languages, just so I can say I can. Plus of course if you have are bilingual your competitive edge trumps most other folks.

I'd also go back to get an English degree. Why? Because english majors actually have a higher rate of success over here in America.

I don't know why.. but they do. I mean I'm just saying.. I think whether you are 17 or 45 or even 75, college is there for whoever.. now the big question is why when you have the money to go back to college, that if your grades are bad you can't get back in? My buddy is suffering from that and now has to go to community colleges because of it to work with his GPA.

I don't think age is as much of an issue as what's going on in your life these days. Being 25 is still young, and not far from others who are in their late teens and early 20's. But more importantly, you don't have your own family to worry about or major expenses to pay (I'm guessing), so going back to school now is definitely a good idea. I think for you, it would be a great idea to go back to school, so go for it!

And, don't worry about your grandfather, it's ultimately your choice, whether he likes it or not.

There are a few people on my course that are about 30, and a few that are perhaps between 40-60. So to go to Uni at 25? I can't see anything wrong with that. You're more likely to be accepted among those that are 18-early 20s as you are not far off yourself. They won't even notice unless you tell them.

I've been unaware of anyone frowning on people going into higher education after a time. I admit, I don't get out much so I don't hear what people tend to think, but I don't see why they should. The ones that are significantly older are treated with respect in my experience, and those that are in their 30s tend to blend in. Being 25 you should have no problem I should think.

It's your life and if you feel like you would gain from higher education, and if you feel that it is meant to be and you belong there and your life will achieve its purpose after going there then I say go. If anything I'd advise people to take a gap year before going to higher education, rather than going straight into it at 18 years old. Some people can, and most manage, but I personally felt like I needed a year out to learn the ropes of life, earn some money, and experience things before going. Nearing the end of my final year now I feel quite burnt out, coming straight from A-levels into university.

Perhaps you going later than most people isn't such a bad thing afterall. In the longrun it may even be beneficial for you and you will perhaps enter university as a more well-rounded human being.

If they have night classes, usually there is a higher age group in those classes opposed to day classes. At least the college i went to, mostly 28+ year old people in night classes and all the little kids went to day school (18+ years old). Personally I like higher age groups in class, more mature and its easier to pay attention and learn :)

I think it's a great idea, and you certainly shouldn't feel restricted by your age. And even if you get a degree now for the purpose of finding a job, there's also nothing wrong with going back as many times as you want later on in life if a subject interests you also. :) Really, having a desire for knowledge is a great thing no matter how old you are; even if you were 125 years old there's no reason why you shouldn't do it ^_^

I'd say there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting uni at 25. There's a guy on my course who just turned 26 a few weeks ago (he was 24 when we started), and there's a guy in his 30s and another in his 40s the year above me. I've also noticed a few other mature students about our campus, and never thought anything of it.
There isn't really a set time for when you suddenly decide what it is you want to do. Obviously for some, it takes a few extra years.

No age is too old. Education is for everyone. Heck, if your 90 years old, and you want to go to college (and have the physical and mental capacity to do so) then go for it!

In my class the oldest person is 37 years old. And I once had someone who was sixty years old in one of my Philosophy classes.

And 25 is definently not too old! That's a great time to go back to school.

It's the responsibility that usually comes with age, not the actual age that matters. Generally people in their late 20's/early 30's have responsibilities (such as family) that younger kids don't need to worry about. Also, the main reason why many people get a Bachelor's isn't to learn (ancillary to the main) but to increase earning potential. So again an older individual usually has a decently paying job, so he would have to forgo his earnings and dish out extra to go to college with the added risk that he won't exceed what he had before. Compare that to a kid fresh out of high school whose earning potential is working at McDonalds.

No one is ever too old to go to college; however, the value of investing in education likely diminishes as you get older due to other extraneous factors.

This is something I was just thinking about today. I'm graduating in a few months and I've decided that I may not instantly go to school. I have to get some money first, and I am not eligible for any sort of aid (No, I don't know why but they denied it. It's not like we have a lot of money either). So, I may not go until I'm in my mid 20's either.

I don't think it's too old. I don't think you ever can be too old. Education is bettering yourself, and you're never too old to better yourself. Not to mention it's getting increasingly harder for people without an education to get jobs. Education is very important.

And if i makes you feel better, my father was going back to school at 40, which is almost twenty years older than you. Imagine that!

In terms of getting education, there is never a bad age to get it. The more education/knowledge you have, the better. There's no embarrassment in it.

I don't know how you can look down on someone for wanting to work hard and learn more. Isn't that the very thing that we've been taught to do since we were children?

Age is not an issue with education. I have seen people in my college classes that look like that are about 60, so apparently it is never too late to start going back to school.

My sister who is in university has friends who are in their 30s and yet are at the same year as my sister (still taking undergraduate studies). I believe it's quite normal. You're even at the age of 25. Most won't even realize that you're "older" without asking your birth date or something.

Good luck with your studies, and I hope your grandfather won't admonish you.

Back