How important are character relationships to you?

Ac1dVenus

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
I have been reading through some of the threads on here and when people mention some plus points about a Final Fantasy game they talk about relationships.
For example I see several comments about how wonderful the relationship is between Yuna and Tidus on Final Fantasy X.

Personally I really don't care about all this side of the game, I want good gameplay with lots to do to keep me interested, like on FFX you can go find secret aeons and other random side bits.

So to my point again, do you care about character relationships and if so what do you enjoy about them? Do you like a good story and this is part of it so it's more than just a game to you?

Yes, I really don't mind character relationships. After all, lots of people don't like being alone. But it's just me. :)

Romance attracts a lot of people. Take it from a guy who found Zidane and Garnet's relationship in FFIX very interesting. I liked it, even though I was in the 6th grade and had yet to learn lots about love.

So to me, I like romance when it's heart-warming. If I see a relationship where the girl is being sarcastic all the time or the guy is being abusive I just walk away.

For me the relationships between the party members (and not just romantic) are the most important thing in the game. It's okay to have a whole bunch of characters come together from different backgrounds and work together to save the world without ever having interpersonal issues, but when they do it makes things SOOO much more interesting :D That's one of the reasons FFIV was my favorite--the romantic tension that developed between
Edge and Rydia
, the bickering between
Cid and Tellah
Kain
repeatedly betraying everyone and leaving the party, the pep talks given to
Edward
by...I think pretty much everyone? There are a lot of games, even FFs, that are somewhat lacking in that area (XII :mokken:), and it's really a shame, because your party members are the main characters in the story. When you have 6 or 8 or 12 people together in a group, for them to not have good or bad (or both) issues with each other would be pretty unrealistic, IMO.

Relationships between the characters is one of the most, if not the most important aspect of the game to me. You can have a potentially good storyline but the game could still be poor if there's no relationships (either romantic or non-romantic) which was obvious in Final Fantasy XII where the relationships were dire. However, relationships can make up for where the storyline lacks. Certainly in terms of Final Fantasy the character relationships are extremely important as even Kitase/Toriyama have said Final Fantasy titles are almost 100% story driven.

The character relationship with one and another is a must for me. If there's nothing going on between the characters (not just romantically) it just irritates me >_< they don't always have to get along but for godsake your traveling together! A game IMO isn't complete if there isn't a relationship between the characters and it would make no sense to me if there wasn't.

So yes, yes I do care for relationships between the characters.

Character relationships are one of the most important aspects of a game for me. Often they can save a game with a bad storyline. For me, the main party has to have chemistry. This is one reason I hated XII. After the entire game the cast still only seemed like brief acquaintances. Even characters that knew each other prior to the adventure only seemed like they just met like Balthier and Fran, and Basch and Ashe. Only Vaan and Penelo felt like they were actually friends, and that was really only in the begining since they pretty much fall the the background for most of the story.

Final Fantasy is infamous for being for story driven, so naturally character relationships are gonna be important. While me personally, I didn't always think of character relationships in a game until I finally started getting into the Final Fantasy series. Afterwards I began to like games that emphasized more on character relationships. What I like about games that emphasize on character relationships is it keeps me very interested in the game and in the storyline, especially some that are more romantic. One of the reasons XII gets criticized a lot was because of the lack of chemistry between the characters. The story wasn't too original, I kept making star wars observations the entire time.

Overall, for me character relationships are important.

Of course relationships are important. Having a RPG with a band of adventurers who are all cool and interesting characters is still stupid if there is no chemistry/relationship between the characters. I like it when characters interact with eachother and the world around them, it makes a character really belong in the game's universe, it makes them really a part of the game.

yes i love the relationship bettwen the characters that and the story main reason i play however story can't be good if the character relationship is not deep in some way. it relaves stress for me to watch the characters grow change fall in love lose loves ones and so on when i cry about what happens in a game stress from the day when i done a ton of work among other things seems to just lift off my shoulder and i feel much better. aerith die i cryed for hr only other scene which made me that sad was ff10 ending both i cried for hrs on end cried other times but those two is what really got me going. ff12 sucks sucks sucks i quit i could not finnish it no madder how much i tried it was boring boring as hell. they screwd up on ff12 big time. becaue of the characters.
yes it just a game but still thi is what makes it fun.

sorry for bad grammar

I am in agreement with pretty much everyone here - character relationships are extremely important, because they are a large part of character development. Having a bunch of stand-alone adventurers would make the games extremely boring.

In regards to the romance...I try to ignore it. Its just so poorly done most of the time -
Squall and Rinoa
still makes me cringe, and
Tidus and Yuna
isn't much better either. Its sappy, quite often unbelievable, and just embarrassing to watch. Intimate relationships in Final Fantasy games are awful, in my opinion.

Relationships in love are a no-no for me. They take away from the game and can be a distraction. Most of the love stories done so far have been a big part of the overall story of FF games. I don't think we need that much love in the games. Final Fantasy would be great if it just toned down the whole gushy love story thing.

Relationships friend wise is what develops characters more. It gives the story a more heartfelt meaning when it includes relationships between friends.

Now love relationships shouldn't be erased completelty, I just think they need to be toned down. In the series so that maybe ALL of the main characters can have the same amount of importance. for example: Rinoa and squall suddenly became the focal point rather than everyone else in FF8

I have to have mushy love stories in my games, whether it be FF or another type game. It just adds to the story in my opinion (AND since I am ronery, gives me something to dream about at night. lol XD)
I actually think one of the major reasons I don't enjoy FFXII or some of the older ones is because there is no established couples.

I'm torn in my opinion about relationships in video games. Sometimes they work very well and can add to the story. And sometimes they are just one big distraction and cringeworthy. Also, i hate when the only way they can develop the relationship is by having the girl get captured, and the guy go out and save her.

What I really hate is when a main heroine is in danger, and the main hero will do anything to save her even if it means risking the entire world being destroyed or the life of someone else. Because, you know, the pure love of those two characters is more important than everyone else's life in the world <.< (I do not at all find it cute and romantic but very selfish and the rest of the party should kill the main hero along with the heroine to save the world)

An example from Final Fantasy of this is Squall and Rinoa, where Rinoa was hanging off the side of the flying garden while it was being attacked. Everyone was in danger but for some reason it was more important for Squall to save Rinoa instead of defending the rest of the school. Ok so Squall did have the right idea because when Zell ran up to him and told him of Rinoa's situation, Squall responded "well, there are a lot of people in danger."

And besides, why couldn't Zell have done what Squall did to save her?

And of course, in other games, there's the situation where the main heroine gets her self captured, is now the main life force of the ultimate villian, and simply killing her could completely destroy that main villian, or something along those lines. but the main character is like "Oh noes! I'll save her! Fuck the rest of the world! Our romance is more important than everyone else's life!" <.< I'd find it much more heroic if the main hero did make the decision to kill his lover.

Honestly, I prefer couples that are already an item before the story begins. That's probably why I like Rosa and Cecil.

Not very, I really play it for the story line, although I would enjoy it more to see some romance going on, not muchy romance good sweet one of a kind romance.

It only makes games that much better anyway.
:)

I've got to admit, I do like a little romance in my games. Although, it's definitely not the one thing that I look for in a video game.

I can deal with characters that aren't connected well. Take Final Fantasy XII for example. There were barely any character relationships, but I still liked the storyline very much and overall, it was an amazing game.

I do have to mention that I liked the relationships in Final Fantasy X. Everyone seemed so closely knit and it was nice to see how motherly Lulu could be to Yuna, Auron a mentor to Tidus, etc.

The major point in a game to me is the storyline and the gameplay. Yes, character relationships can go along with a good storyline, but they aren't completely necessary (using FFXII as an example). All in all, I do love to see great character relationships, however, if they're not as dominant in a video game, it won't terribly bother me.

Character relationships = really important.

Can't tell a good story with bland and boring characters. In addition to gameplay, I like my RPG's with a bit of an epic feel to them and you can only really achieve something like that with an engrossing plot and deep and well-thought out characters.

I think it adds some feeling to the story, but what I really care about is battling. How can I kill this monster the fastest? What spell works best?
Basically I'm obsessed with tactics of battling, and all the different monsters.

I'll tolerate virtually any type of character relationship... As long as it is at least strong enough to convince me that the characters actually WANT to stick around each other and not leave for other random hobbies. Like, Tetra Master.

I am perfectly fine with any type of romance thingy, as long as it's done right. To be completely upfront and honest... I thought Zidane/Dagger was horrible. Downright horrible. Cloud/Tifa was good though. You learn about their past, and how it's affecting their present, and how what they do during the game will affect their future. They aren't as... direct?, or obvious as some other FFs, but really, it's not needed in VII.

In X, it was needed to be more obvious, otherwise, I think Tidus would have just completely gone ballistic and stuff while at the end of Bikanel.

Character relationships are vital for me. Romance however, isn't.

For example, I loved Jecht and Aurons relationship. And Tidus and Wakkas. Fang and Vanille, Zach and Cloud, cloud and seph etc

Back