Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Chocobo Egg
Shiva Snowflake
Happy New Year, FFF! šŸ„³

2020 has been... well, a wild ride, what can I say! For some of us it hasn't been too terrible, for others it's been the worst year to date. Whatever your case may be, I hope 2021 treats you all significantly better in the years to come!

That said, I thought it'd be kinda cool to reflect back on 2020 and see what some of your guys' ups and downs were.

I provided a list of questions I found from various surveys, but feel free to only answer some, answer them all, add some of your own, just write your own little paragraph in review, or just wish everyone a happy New Year!

This Past Year
Pick three words to describe this past year:
What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished:
What was one of the better things that happened:
What was the single most challenging thing that happened:
What was your biggest personal change from January to December:
What was the best way you used your time:
What would you do over if you could:
Did you play the FF7:Remake this year:
Which game did you put the most hours into:
The most fun I had:
My biggest regret:
Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought:
The nicest thing someone did for me:
A new food/dish I tried:
How did you celebrate your birthday:
Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas:
How are you feeling at this moment:
What are you worried about:
Where did you travel to this year:
Are you happy with your life right now:

The Last Thing(s) You Did / Before the New Year
Who was the last person you saw:
Who is the last person who texted you:
Who was the last person you texted:
Who was the last person you hung out with:
Who was the last person to call you:
Who did you last hug:
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to:
What did you last cry over:
Where did you last go:
What was the last game you played:

The New Year
What are you looking forward to most in 2021:
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come:
What do you hope to do more of in 2021:
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year:
What game are you looking forward to:

What Were Your Favorites of/During 2020
Game:
Movie:
TV Show:
Book:
Song:
Dish/Food:
Place to eat:
Holiday:

FFF
What was your favorite thread:
What was your favorite Birthweek event:
What was your favorite seasonal event:
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year:
What is your favorite Cegling:
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night:
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s):
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year:
Which forum were you most active in? (Find this in your stats on the forum list page)
How many posts/messages do you currently have:
How much Gil/MP do you currently have?

I wish you all the best in the new year!
8771_blobheart.png

Happy New Year! I look forward to seeing how different my answers will be next year around this time & see if much has changed. :)

This Past Year
Pick three words to describe this past year: Tiresome. Eventful. Meh.

What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: I spent a few months helping my grandparents move my great grandma out of her house and into an independent living facility. I had to help clean through all her things (a lot of things) and tried selling a bunch on the side. It was a great feeling when I managed to get
the huge couch in the basement out the doors - or any of the huge appliances really.

What was one of the better things that happened: We took a social distancing vacation and had my mom & brother watch my kiddo during that time.

What was the single most challenging thing that happened: Dealing with my mother in law's passing. Or just death in general. We lost two people and almost lost my grandfather.

What was your biggest personal change from January to December: Learning more patience.

What was the best way you used your time: Helped my grandparents with my grandmother's move. I had available time (I guess we all really did) and we really worked hard to get her out and for my grandparents to not have to worry about certain heavy things as well as selling a few. We earned about $550 :eek:)

What would you do over if you could: I wouldn't have sold that stupid sewing machine to that stupid lady šŸ˜¤ Or I would have been more thoroughly clear that it came as-is, as most things are on the Facebook Market. sfkljdfsdf

Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: Yes!

Which game did you put the most hours into: Sadly.. probably Minecraft :tearjoy: After that probably a toss up between Stardew & Animal Crossing?

The most fun I had: I hosted Thanksgiving this year (very small gathering) and it actually was a lot of fun and hope to do it in the future!

My biggest regret: I wouldn't have sold that stupid sewing machine to that stupid lady šŸ˜¤

Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: I bought some really bad meat a few months ago and didn't realize it was bad until I tried making the same meal three separate times with three separate packages of said bad meat.

The nicest thing someone did for me: My family watched my kiddo when we took our vacation for a few days. It was the first time in 3+ years and it was kinda nice not having to worry about someone other than yourself. Still was happy to get him back though :-)

A new food/dish I tried: I tried a few new foods from a big Japanese market that's about an hour~ out of town. The mitarashi dango was probably my favorite?

How did you celebrate your birthday: Got together with my immediate family (small group) and enjoyed some pizza I think.

Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: DNA Ancestry kit, some Animal Crossing things & a bunch of money. I bought some imported manga.

How are you feeling at this moment: I have to use the ladies room to powder my nose c:

What are you worried about: I have to use the ladies room to powder my nose c:

Where did you travel to this year: Tennessee. Looked for an Airbnb that was very secluded where we could just chill, grill & enjoy the mill. The trip there seeing the mountains was awesome considering I'm from a place of... corn.

Are you happy with your life right now: Yes, though I have days where I wish I could rewind back 10 years and do some things over, if only to enjoy them more & give myself a bit of advice on certain money-related things. But life right now is good, and I'm happy with where we are!

The Last Thing(s) You Did / Before The New Year
Who was the last person you saw: My husband
Who is the last person who texted you: My brother
Who was the last person you texted: The group chat
Who was the last person you hung out with: My brother & sister in law
Who was the last person to call you: My mom
Who did you last hug: My kiddo
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to: My bed husband
What did you last cry over: I was in a lot of pain c:
Where did you last go: The Japanese market I mentioned earlier.
What was the last game you played: Stardew Valley

The New Year
What are you looking forward to most in 2021: Hopefully some kind of normality, or at least close to it.
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: Need more patience still.
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: More activities with my kid, especially outside.
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: Sleep

FFF
What was your favorite thread: Obviously the Centaur Club thread.
What was your favorite Birthweek event: Dancing Mad Libs was my favorite - I think it had a lot of laughs!
What was your favorite seasonal event: Always the Recipe contest, no matter what season. :lew: If I had to choose a holiday-theme though it'd be the White Elephant or Trick-or-Treat gift event, only because I enjoy making them.
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: Smiley Scenes & Voices
What is your favorite Cegling: :gizmodeer:
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: Gremlins :lew: Despite the crazy at the end.
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): Probably anything Centaur related, though I love all the TV & Banana jokes. Sorry :lew:
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: šŸ˜ Hmmmmmm, there's a few nice things in there!
Which forum were you most active in? The Halloween Archive/Event Section
How many posts/messages do you currently have: After this it'll be 925 posts.
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? 245 gil, 10 MP

This Past Year

Pick three words to describe this past year: Disconcerting, troubled & momentous

What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: Though it's been a challenging affair what with our newfound (and now semi-permanent) inability to personally meet clients in need, I'm proud that I've persevered and continued to do as much voluntary legal advice work for a local legal charity as I can despite the circumstances. They haven't been very big tasks, but being there to talk to a client going through a particularly acrimonious time is its own reward, and more importantly to be able to help them through key processes to get employment-related claims to tribunals. No pandemic is going to stop me from giving something back to the community, even if in a more limited capacity.

What was one of the better things that happened: To follow on from above, I was involved in a case for a tenant whose landlord was threatening to evict him despite the fact that the government had actually passed new legislation to extend tenants' rights earlier in the year what with the pandemic. Luckily for us this particular landlord hadn't a clue what he was doing and served a notice that was unquestionably invalid, so it was a simple case of threatening him with a letter in return. Had we not been involved, the poor tenant (who obviously had no idea what the proper processes are for a landlord to legally evict someone with notice) could well have been helplessly thrown out on the streets.

What was the single most challenging thing that happened: Just in general the mental toll on all of us. Not being able to see and hug friends and family. Being so separated from my partner to the extent that I now genuinely worry for the state of the relationship. The sensation of not knowing how much longer this will last. The knowledge that my immunocompromised mother is particularly vulnerable.

What was your biggest personal change from January to December: I don't even know if I have changed in any positive way. If anything I've become even more misanthropic, jaded and pissed off with people, especially selfish morons who don't believe in the efficacy of masks and/or decry this all as a hoax while putting innocents around them at risk. Plus the sheer cartoon-like incompetence of this government...

What was the best way you used your time: Volunteer legal advice work where able & starting a practical online course on leadership and management.

What would you do over if you could: Purchased as many PS5s as possible then scalp them away online for exorbitant sums. Or jot down winning lottery numbers and use this knowledge to go back in time and buy a winning ticket. Okay, I'm kidding. Maybe.

Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: Nope. What's that? Sounds like something for nerds.

Which game did you put the most hours into: Animal Crossing: New Horizons at like 500 hours before I stopped. :olivia:

The most fun I had: For the briefest of time I spent with my little niece in 2020, I guess it was spending time with her just as she was on the cusp of speaking her first words. Except for the part where I'm responsible for cleaning up after her when she decided to suddenly vomit all over herself or soil herself. Or both at the same time even.

My biggest regret: Not having the commitment to get into coding 101 like I initially said I would at the end of 2019. I have this habit of talking the talk but when it comes to the walk I stumble and fall over immediately like someone's sawn my feet off.

Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: I usually don't make many regret purchases. I suppose I do regret buying this little mini oven that's proven to be a dud. Maybe a few games that I really could have refrained from buying until way later, because I really don't need to expand the size of my backlog any more than it already is.

The nicest thing someone did for me: A bunch of Christmas cards, Amazon gift vouchers and small confectionery gifts from grateful coworkers and people I've helped over the year, haha.

A new food/dish I tried: I...dunno. Normally I travel around visiting places & giving new restaurants a shot, but obviously that's all off the agenda for pretty much nearly the whole year and for the foreseeable future. I can't think of anything new I've actually tried for the first time in 2020.

How did you celebrate your birthday: It was a very low-key birthday and during a national lockdown, so no family & friends gathering for me! Mostly I was messing around with people on calls and had homemade curry.

Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: Nothing special this year

How are you feeling at this moment: I want to sneeze but try as I might, the sneeze isn't coming out. How infuriating. Also there's something therapeutic about the clitter clatter sound of my MacBook keyboard while I'm busy typing away. For the briefest of moments it's almost like I'm being productive.

What are you worried about: EVERYTHING. ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE AND PANDORA'S BOX AIN'T GONNA SUCK EVERYTHING BACK IN LIKE IT'S FUCKING KIRBY & CLOSE ITS LID.

Where did you travel to this year: I mean...we're talking 2020. The most dangerous trip I've taken was just to purchase groceries without being infected. Originally I was going to revisit Malta in the summer...

Are you happy with your life right now: Without going into excruciating detail about the state of where I am professionally, financially and relationship wise, let's just say...things could definitely be infinitely worse, yet they could also be much better. As I near the end of my twenties I can't help but feel I've wasted these last several years & failed to make the most of them, like I've kept myself confined to a proverbial cage instead of fully stretching my wings and soaring off into the relative unknown - like I've not grasped opportunities where they popped up. Still, I'm by no means old, so there's still time for that. Hopefully.

Who was the last person you saw: Probably my dad
Who is the last person who texted you: My sister
Who was the last person you texted: My sister
Who was the last person you hung out with: My brother as I forced us both to get Covid tests, lmao
Who was the last person to call you: My grandmother
Who did you last hug: ...my Piplup plushie?
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to: Piplup plushie
What did you last cry over: Spilt almond milk
Where did you last go: The bathroom?
What was the last game you played: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

The New Year

What are you looking forward to most in 2021: Vaccines, some semblance of normality & to be able to see people again >.>
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: To stop being such an insufferable misanthrope and look to building on and acquiring new useful skillsets to make me a more useful, all-rounded person. But that's probably not going to happen, but a gal can dream.
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: See people and travel, plus have more time with my niece. But for the former two I have this horrible feeling I'll have more luck in 2022.
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: To actually sneeze
What game are you looking forward to: uhh, I dunno. Nothing really stands out to me as a must-buy right now.

FFF

What was your favorite thread: The hangman game thread
What was your favorite Birthweek event: The hangman game
What was your favorite seasonal event: Writing event /totally unbiased
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: Moogle Murder Mystery 3!
What is your favorite Cegling: :Lameow:
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: Star Wars The Third Gathers: The Backstroke of the West
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): Adam yeeting his TV
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: An elixir that grants me unending youth, beauty and life. We have some of that, right?
Which forum were you most active in? (Find this in your stats on the forum list page) SE News stuff?
How many posts/messages do you currently have: Over 6,000?
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? Not enough. Hand me the money or I'll shove a Blizzaga icicle through you like what Edea did to Squall. šŸ—”ļø

These are my answers! I like them. They are Answer...y

This Past Year

Pick three words to describe this past year: Isolated; revealing; restorative

What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: This year, I transitioned from my old position, customer facing, to something a bit further away from the bright lights. Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve really pushed myself out of my comfort zone and followed up on something in my career. Thereā€™s been ups and downs - sometimes I feel like I donā€™t fit well on the team, which is partially down to having to WFH for the greater part of a year - but thatā€™s what lifeā€™s about, right? Wait - that was December last year when I started there. This year I FINALLY GOT MY LEARNERā€™S PERMIT. I passed the theory test once beforeā€¦ but I let the document expire. I finally got it, back in January of 2020. I was very happy with it and was about to start lessons when COVID did itā€™s COVID thing.

What was one of the better things that happened: I met someone rather special. Sadly, itā€™s been bumpy and hasnā€™t been working outā€¦ but hey, Iā€™d rather love and lose than never love at all.

What was the single most challenging thing that happened: Iā€™ve been stuck in the middle of a lot of family conflict and had a bit of a mental health slip up. That sucked, quite a bit. I found myself compromising my principles and feelings to suit others which, in my opinion, is crippling to a healthy sense of self. Iā€™ve addressed it now.

What was your biggest personal change from January to December: I matured a lot. Iā€™m a lot more reserved and willing to stand up for my principles (and myself). That was helpful.

What was the best way you used your time: Connecting with people: the treasured time I got with my family, during the minor COVID lull in the Summer; the weird ā€œsituationshipā€ Iā€™ve been in and out of since July.

What would you do over if you could: Iā€™d probably wear my heart on my sleeve a little less. When I rationalise about things first, I tend to avoid getting hurt. It really helps in arguments too; I say nasty things when Iā€™m too heated.

Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: I did indeed. It was a gameā€¦ I playedā€¦ I guess? It was good; wasnā€™t my favourite.

Which game did you put the most hours into: Has to be Borderlands 3! A group of us have been casually playing it here and there! Finally got through the DLC! Espurr and Krew!

The most fun I had: Probably that one time I got to meet up with my friends in a pub during the Summer; nothing beats a roast and pints out with the crew! Who cares if it gave me food poisoning! HA

My biggest regret: Letting my sister down about a visit just before Christmas (I hurt my nephewā€™s feelings during a year which has not been kind to them). Iā€™m going to make it up to the three of them.

Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: Watch Dogs: Legion for ā‚¬100 or so. No, I havenā€™t finished it yet. AND Stop laughing Linnaete !!!!!

The nicest thing someone did for me: I got a lot of presents this year for Christmas! Iā€™m sort of used to just getting a Lynx set and a box of Celebrations but this year? I got a drone, these sort of controllable lights and stuff! It was cool and made Christmas feelā€¦ more Christmassy!

A new food/dish I tried: I could never eat certain sandwiches because cheeseā€¦ But I finally got a Cubano this year. Fuck me, I love Cubanos!

How did you celebrate your birthday: I donā€™t think I did; it was a weird start to the year. Might have been down with my family.
Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: Answered earlier; drone, lights, new jacket, Whiskey!

How are you feeling at this moment: Could be better. Sort of wish I could stop attracting the wrong people; sort of wish this COVID pandemic would stop being such a flashpoint for moronic distrust in science.

What are you worried about: my mum getting COVID; sheā€™s insanely vulnerable to it. Whether this year will be another write-off.

Where did you travel to this year: I didnā€™t; m80, you shouldnā€™t be travelling at all! The furthest Iā€™ve gone is about an hour or so, into another county of Ireland, to see my sister during the lull.

Are you happy with your life right now: Iā€™m fed, clothed, have a roof over my head and the silliest amount of disposable income - so from the stats, Iā€™m fine but really - I just feel like I need to find my own tribe, so to speak. Iā€™m tired of feeling like the black sheep in the room; like Iā€™m wearing blue and everyone else is wearing green. I want to travel more; to do more with myself. I want to volunteer againā€¦ Letā€™s see how we go with 2021.

Who was the last person you saw: my brother-in-law; he dropped something over.
Who is the last person who texted you: my friend from Kent, which is in the UK. She told me about a Uni assignment for a Bio class. Digestive system! Das poop.
Who was the last person you texted: said friend, to say ā€œI hope you donā€™t scoop the poopā€
Who was the last person you hung out with: my family, on NYE. I usually do it with my childhood besto, but he got Covid.
Who was the last person to call you: My ex girlfriend, yesterday. That wasā€¦ something.

Who did you last hug: my mum, lol, as I went home NYD.
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to: In my dreams? Tbh, Scar Jo. Luv u Scar Jo.
What did you last cry over: Thereā€™s this John Lewis Advertisement that really reminds me of my dad, so when I saw that, the tears did their thing! Something, something TOUGH GUY, YEAH, THATā€™S ME.
Where did you last go: I went to the supermarket yesterday, wearing my mask and winter stuff; scarf too!
What was the last game you played: Cyberpunk 2077, 45 minutes ago. Itā€™sā€¦ yeah.

The New Year

What are you looking forward to most in 2021: vaccination and finally Bill Gates plan truly coming to fruition!!! Mwahahahahahahahah.
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: Getting more financially intelligent. I make dumb decisions with money.
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: reconnecting with my friends and loved ones I havenā€™t been able to.
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: Whiskey??? Kindness between people?
What game are you looking forward to: Ratchet and Clank, maybe???

Game: BL3 wins out of the sheer amount of fun weā€™ve had with it.
Movie: I thought Borat Subsequent Moviefilm was alright.
TV Show: Cobra Kai, Season 3 wins here. Cheesy as fuck but great!
Book: Didnā€™t come out this year, but Paula Spencer by Roddy Doyle. Irish writer; I think it takes a talented writer to make a 25 year old guy invest emotions into the story of a 50-something woman; itā€™s really well written. Dublin leaps off the pages from it.
Song: Sighā€¦ If youā€™ā€™re Too Shy - The 1975...

Dish/Food: Chicken Curry chinese style
Place to eat: I literally went out three times to eat - a Milanos (aka Pizza Express), Burger King and the pub that gave me food poisoning from the Roast. I think Iā€™ll go with Burger King...
Holiday: M80, COVID.

FFF

What was your favorite thread: Hangman
What was your favorite Birthweek event: Hangman
What was your favorite seasonal event: I liked the poem event.
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: ā€œMake Dan angryā€ event.
What is your favorite Cegling: The one which I apparently spawned that looks like a mutant duck or something.

What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: Backstroke of The West, holy shit, that was hilarious. Iā€™ll be starting it back up next week (Movie Night).
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): Umā€¦ I dunno. So many of them stem from me being an idiotā€¦ DAN calling my niece Seeshwosh! There, thatā€™s one!
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: A username colour!
Which forum were you most active in? most active in New Bodhum with 195 posts.
How many posts/messages do you currently have: 1346 posts
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? Gil [end. 2020]
Gold Points [end. 2020]
Community Tokens [end. 2020]
Mako Points
Gil

Last edited:
This Past Year
Pick three words to describe this past year: long, exhausting, bizarre
What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: I seem to have amassed an army of Mario plushies
What was one of the better things that happened: My husband got a new job
What was the single most challenging thing that happened: distance learning while working full time
What was your biggest personal change from January to December: Iā€™m pretty sure a few gray hairs popped up
What was the best way you used your time: attempting to declutter with varying degrees of success
What would you do over if you could: Nothing. F that year.
Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: I played the demo
Which game did you put the most hours into: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The most fun I had: Watching threads on NextDoor devolve into petty fights between neighbors
My biggest regret: Not doing more writing
Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: So many pairs of shoes
The nicest thing someone did for me: My son made me a Christmas card that said "Mom, I love that you give me lunchables." :ROFLMAO:
A new food/dish I tried: Kombucha
How did you celebrate your birthday: I had a cake made out of cupcakes. It was pretty near.
Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: Switch Lite (since the kids have kind of taken over my actual Switch), bracelet, games, art supplies
How are you feeling at this moment: fine
What are you worried about: trying to juggle working and distance learning
Where did you travel to this year: Nowhere
Are you happy with your life right now: Reasonably so

Who was the last person you saw: My husband
Who is the last person who texted you: My sister
Who was the last person you texted: My best friend
Who was the last person you hung out with: My husband
Who was the last person to call you: my mil (she was learning how to use FaceTime on her new iPhone)
Who did you last hug: My kiddos
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to: Probably my kiddos
What did you last cry over: No clue. Itā€™s been a long time since I cried.
Where did you last go: Grocery store (I am so boring)
What was the last game you played: Octopath Traveler

The New Year
What are you looking forward to most in 2021: A hopeful end to this living hell we call a pandemic
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: Iā€™d like to read more
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: gaming
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: Moogle Murder Mysteries
What game are you looking forward to: Elder Scrolls VI

Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Movie: I didnā€™t see any new movies
TV Show: Paw Patrol
Book: Edgar Allan Poe Anthology of Works
Song: The Sound of Silence cover by Disturbed
Dish/Food: Cake Pops
Place to eat: Cheloā€™s
Holiday: Christmas

FFF
What was your favorite thread: Aerith and her Faith
What was your favorite Birthweek event: Dancing Mad Libs
What was your favorite seasonal event: Limericks of Lute
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: Moogle Murder Mystery
What is your favorite Cegling: Gizmodeer
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: Sharknado
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): Rub yellow dog on it (maybe not a meme, but close enough).
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: Another chocobo egg
Which forum were you most active in? (Find this in your stats on the forum list page): Staff Threads (archive)
How many posts/messages do you currently have: 4,046
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? 64 Gil and 1 MP (Iā€™m officially poor. Who wants to lend me some Gil and MP?)

This Past Year
Pick three words to describe this past year: Confrontational, anxiety, boredom.
What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: Lost a lot of weight (now to do it all again, thanks Corona!)
What was one of the better things that happened: Travelling outside the country (before shit hit the fan)
What was the single most challenging thing that happened: Keeping said weight off! FAIL.
What was your biggest personal change from January to December: Being on my own team more.
What was the best way you used your time: Connecting and interacting with people who are healthy for my mental health.
What would you do over if you could: Nothing.
Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: Ohoho. Yes.
Which game did you put the most hours into: Probably the Sims honestly? Which is an absolute first.
The most fun I had: Visiting the UK and realising I may as well have stayed in the NL considering how similar it is.
My biggest regret: Wasting too many notebooks and wanting to start over in my planners.
Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: ...That many notebooks.
The nicest thing someone did for me: Assure that what I'm doing is more than enough.
A new food/dish I tried: Own homemade lasanga, technically not new, but it's been years since I made it myself.
How did you celebrate your birthday: I didn't, I'm not a fan of celebrating birthdays.
Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: Nothing! Didn't want anything.
How are you feeling at this moment: A bit gloomy.
What are you worried about: My mom's health.
Where did you travel to this year: The the land of the UK.
Are you happy with your life right now: I mean... Not really, but I am grateful to still have my loved ones with me.

Who was the last person you saw: My mom.
Who is the last person who texted you: My cousin.
Who was the last person you texted: My cousin.
Who was the last person you hung out with: My mom. ā™„
Who was the last person to call you: My cousin.
Who did you last hug: Ew, hugs. My aunt.
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to: My mom.
What did you last cry over: lmao. What didn't I cry over more like.
Where did you last go: The grocery store.
What was the last game you played: The Sims 4.

The New Year
What are you looking forward to most in 2021: Hopefully things settling down with this pandemic, making it safe for eldery to go to their hospital appointments again.
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: I hate these things. Anything that needs improving.
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: Enjoy the ones around me.
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: Better health for my loved ones, does that count?
What game are you looking forward to: REMAKE PART 2! Hmph.

Game: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Movie: Watership Down (not of this year obviously, but watched it again recently, it's great still)
TV Show: The Good Doctor (Thanks, Miko!)
Book: n/a
Song: If You're Too Shy, The Birthday Party (The 1975) / Mars, It's Quiet In Beverly Hills (Yungblud)
Dish/Food: Soup.
Place to eat: n/a
Holiday: Christmas.

FFF
What was your favorite thread: [V6] What Are You Currently Listening To?
What was your favorite Birthweek event: Christmas 2020.
What was your favorite seasonal event: Christmas, because it fucking finished on time!
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: Ones that end on the due date.
What is your favorite Cegling: I don't have a "favourite", I think they're all very creative!
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: n/a
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): INNIT :innit:
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: Nothing. I'm frugal.
Which forum were you most active in? (Find this in your stats on the forum list page) Live in Colour
How many posts/messages do you currently have: 10,863
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? 87 Gil and 1 MP

Happy New Year, all.

This Past Year
Pick three words to describe this past year: Nooo! Ahhh! Oof!
What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: Other than seeing the end of 2020? For me 2020 was a year of doors being closed rather than opened in terms of opportunities to thrive. So maybe my accomplishments this year are only my hobbies of sorts. Maybe winning a prize in KupoConā€™s fanfiction event. It was a silly story reimagining FFVIā€™s coin toss scene with Edgar and Sabin switched with Minotaur and Sacred (AKA Brothers from FFVIII). I did not expect it to get noticed at all, and I traditionally come last place in most of the FFF writing contests here, so this was a great surprise and a very welcome morale boost. :argor:
I donā€™t know. I wish I could say I climbed Mount Everest or discovered and named a new species of moth, but 2020 wasnā€™t the year for it.
What was one of the better things that happened: Meeting John Bentley (Barretā€™s VA in the Remake) at KupoCon in February and again in early March. Heā€™s a remarkable man, extremely open, funny and friendly, and a Final Fantasy fan himself.
What was the single most challenging thing that happened: Being made redundant due to the blasted pandemic, etc.
But, thankfully, I remained healthy and so have my family members and friends for the most part. That's more important than anything else.
What was your biggest personal change from January to December: Ditto. That and the indefinite postponement of everything I had planned to do and the things I had been relying on too much as ā€˜things to look forward toā€™ to keep me going. But weā€™ve all suffered with that, Iā€™m sure.
What was the best way you used your time: Personal projects, probably. Aside from getting more reading done than usual, I also did a lot of research and writing articles (including some already out here, some forthcoming as soon as I can).
Also completed some online courses and did a lot of soul searching. Rang around a few people/friends to check on them and see how they are doing. Etc.
What would you do over if you could: I would have planned things better from the beginning of the pandemic. At the time I didnā€™t know how long this nonsense would last for so I was waiting for updates for far too long instead of effectively planning ahead. I took too long to process everything. I felt pretty powerless and spent a long time in limbo. Now with a new lockdown, any state of limbo might not be going away anytime soon so Iā€™ll have to focus on the things I can do while I wait for other things to sort themselves out.
Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: Yes! It was a much appreciated ray of light.
Which game did you put the most hours into: FFXIV. I played through Stormblood and Shadowbringers this year. Shadowbringers is one of the best Final Fantasy experiences to date, and Emet-Selch is probably my favourite villain in the whole franchise now. That was an unexpected development!
The most fun I had: FFVII Remake. It was an amazing nostalgia trip. So many happy memories rekindled, and many new ones forged.
My biggest regret: Probably the same thing as ā€˜What would you do overā€¦ā€™ in that I wish I knew what I know now about the state we are in, and acted more quickly and productively earlier on instead of just floating at the beginning. Whatā€™s important is now, however, rather than what is done. If I mourn time lost for too long then I'll just lose more time.
Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: I donā€™t think I regret anything I bought this year as I havenā€™t bought much of note. I've been careful with money. Iā€™ve not bought a thousand bananas or spent a hundred quid on a game or anything. :brahneto:
The nicest thing someone did for me: Somebody helped set me up with a mentor to help sound out some ideas and direction. Iā€™ve been locked inside my own head for so long, so this was extremely invaluable.
Free livestreams also really helped in 2020. While not created for me specifically, Iā€™m sure they helped many people feel connected during the strangest of years, as I believe they did help me. KupoCon hosted multiple live stream events and, while they could not fully capture what makes these events special, they certainly did help to remind us that the world can adapt and someday, hopefully soon, recover. Itā€™s nice to see that they havenā€™t just folded over and collapsed completely and that there is still a thriving community there just waiting for the world to get right.
In a similar vein, I loved the free livestream of Aeschylusā€™ The Persians streamed via YouTube from Epidauros, Greece, in July. Lots of theatre companies put up livestreams in the year, but this one was actually performed live and the proceeds went to Greek actors impacted by the pandemic. I applaud them for putting this on, despite everything, and for letting us watch it. It was also a great performance.
A new food/dish I tried: Iā€™m not so sure if I have tried anything ā€˜newā€™ in that department. If I have, Iā€™ve forgotten.
How did you celebrate your birthday: Thankfully my birthday was pre-lockdown/social distancing measuresā€¦ But I didnā€™t really know what was coming and what I wouldnā€™t be able to do again in the future so I just spent it alone anyway. Damnit. :argor:
That said, I did do something for my birthday on a different day a week or so later. I went to London and watched Aristophanesā€™ The Frogs and combined it with a trip to the temporary Trojan War exhibition at the British Museum. Seems surreal to think that I was travelling to London for things like that mere weeks before everything changed. Iā€™m so grateful that I managed some things like this just in time.
Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: Last of Us 2, Assassinā€™s Creed: Valhalla, Crash Bandicoot 4: Itā€™s About Time. A welcome respite. Sort ofā€¦ There are coronavirus references in Valhalla and the entire premise of The Last of Us 2 is a world devastated by a cordyceps pandemic. :argor:
How are you feeling at this moment: *insert 'Hide the Pain' meme*
What are you worried about: Not being able to visualise the future is very worrying. Iā€™m finding it difficult to plan, especially since all of the plans I had made seem to be blocked with obstacles.
Iā€™m worried about other people all the time too.
Are you happy with your life right now: Aspects. There are things to distract me and keep me 'sane', and Iā€™m trying to get somewhere Iā€™d like to be in life, but right now feels akin to being trapped in a room with Clickers. Iā€™m low on ammo and the doors I try to open are locked, but there must be a way out somewhere. :funguy:

The New Year
What are you looking forward to most in 2021: It not being 2020. Maybe the vaccine, if it is effective, and a year that is gradually able to return the world to a sense of normality. Itā€™s not been a good start, with the new lockdown here and the new strain, but hereā€™s to hoping.
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: I ambitiously said to myself last year that I'd make 2020 ā€˜my crucial yearā€™ and that statement didnā€™t age very well. :argor: The beginning was truly great (two KupoCon events, a trip to Glasgow and two trips to London, my friendā€™s bandā€™s gig, watching a performance of Aristophanesā€™ The Frogs, visiting museums, and some great social meet-ups), but mid-March onwards? I wonā€™t jinx the universe by saying something like that again, but I hope my recent soul searching will start to help in the areas where I have some control at least.
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: Anything. :argor:
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: Contact, I guess. As an introvert who is rather quiet and also likes his own personal space to unwind, I was surprised this year by how much I miss people and socialising. I guess, while I donā€™t need much, I do need some.
Iā€™ve gone a bit cuckoo, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, ironically.
What game are you looking forward to: The next FFXIV expansion? Whenever that may be. Thatā€™s if it will even be this year. Other than that, I donā€™t actually know what is on the horizon for this year. Remake Part 2 is likely a way off.

What Were Your Favorites of 2020
Game: FFVII Remake
Movie: Have these still been coming out? I havenā€™t been to a cinema at all in 2020.
TV Show: The Mandalorian. I was pleasantly surprised by how amazing this series is. Easily my favourite Star Wars thing since the Original Trilogy.
Book: Norse Myths that Inspired Final Fantasy VII by M. J. Gallagher. Excellently researched and written. Topically, right up my alley. A book like this is the sort of subject Iā€™ve contemplated writing for a while, and maybe I will do something one day in some form. Observing the response to this book, there appears to be a huge thirst for the myth references in Final Fantasy, which is great to see in general.
I also really enjoyed Gods and Robots by Adrienne Mayor. This scholar is known for fascinating and imaginative angles, and this one examines the precursors to the philosophical/ethical questions surrounding artificial life found in Greek and Roman thought. This technically came out a few years ago but I only read it in 2020.
Song: I donā€™t think Iā€™ve actually listened to any new songs from 2020. Iā€™ve discovered songs that have been out for a while (such as the entire discography of Gorillaz post-Demon Days and Muse post-The Resistance that I somehow missed), but I canā€™t think of any that actually came out in 2020.
Dish/Food: Chocoblock! Only jokingā€¦ Probably fried aubergines and feta, accompanied by a Mythos beer. I wanted a taste of Greece in some form.
Place to eat: Home?

FFF
What was your favorite thread: Tantarian by Miko. It hasnā€™t received many responses yet, but I love the chance for a deep-dive that this offers. I will reply to the latest post soon!
What was your favorite Birthweek event: Writing Event - aka It's Always Sunny in FFFLandia or Dancing Mad Libs!
What was your favorite seasonal event: Hangman
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: Another writing event.
What is your favorite Cegling: The Head :thehead: It was only a joke and doesnā€™t really have any parents (notice that it appeared suddenly on April 1st?). But I think it accurately captures the general mood of the year. It looks nothing like me, thank Zeus, but I have ā€˜feltā€™ how this face looks quite a lot lately.
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: Iā€™ll say two films were highlights of the year for me: 1) The Mummy (1999) The film hasnā€™t aged at all! Loved it. Probably our most popular film as well in terms of attendance numbers. 2) Disneyā€™s Hercules. We discussed some of the mythology references in the chat and it has some very catchy songs. No chance! No wayā€¦
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): Adam and his Adamisms. The Empire State of that lad and his wasp feet.
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: A WIP idea not settled upon yet, and might never exist, so I will not mention it. But in case it does: please be excited!
Which forum were you most active in? (Find this in your stats on the forum list page): No Post Archive, apparently. This is in general and not for 2020 specifically. Quite depressing to think that most of my content is now apparently archived. :sad2:
How many posts/messages do you currently have: 7,005
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? 205 Gil, 5 MP

This Past Year
Pick three words to describe this past year: Shit. Stressful. Surprising.
What is something youā€™re proud of that you accomplished: In terms of personal growth, I feel like there has been a lot and it's probably one of the few things I'm proud of! There was just so much... awfulness last year, and I've just taken a step back and begun to appreciate what I have a little bit more as a result. I wouldn't say that I'm the same person I was at the end of 2019, and that's probably a good thing. A little perspective can go a long way. I also did a fair bit of volunteering work with migrants and refugees at the local college and that whole experience was immensely rewarding. I'm proud that I did what I could to help them, but also a bit disheartened when I realise that it simply wasn't enough.
What was one of the better things that happened: I bought a new car and learnt how to drive a manual. That was neat!
What was the single most challenging thing that happened: A long term relationship ending - out of the blue - just a couple of weeks after my grandfather had suddenly passed away (essentially my only father figure growing up). Dealing with two losses at once was quite... rough. Frankly it took me months to feel somewhat normal again.
What was your biggest personal change from January to December: I'm a bit more confident of who I am as a person.
What was the best way you used your time: Probably studying! Got quite disrupted during the year, but we started off strong.
What would you do over if you could: Absolutely nothing. I'm tired of 2020 and I'll be quite happy to put it behind me entirely.
Did you play the FF7:Remake this year: Never heard of it!
Which game did you put the most hours into: Before I quit, it was most definitely Final Fantasy XIV. I think I'll always have a soft spot for it. Lots of fun memories.
The most fun I had: Probably just getting drunk for the first time in years and throwing all my worries behind me.
My biggest regret: My grandfather called me a couple of weeks before his death. I missed it but told myself I'd give him a call back as soon as I was done with exams (I didn't know he was ill at this point). Needless to say, he didn't make it that long and I'll never know what he wanted to tell me and it still hurts.
Something I wish I hadnā€™t bought: Probably just lots of random junk. Well not 'junk' but unnecessary things. Like bottled water or iced coffees and takeaways.
The nicest thing someone did for me: Most people have been great this year. I can't think of just one!
A new food/dish I tried: Sushi! Was actually a great time haha.
How did you celebrate your birthday: I think I just had dinner with my family at Nandos. Lockdown was over at that point so it was life as normal.
Whatā€™s some of the things you got for Christmas: Clothes, money, a desk lamp, kitchen knives. I truly am getting quite old!
How are you feeling at this moment: A little bit anxious. First time in a while!
What are you worried about: A bit of everything. The prospect of moving. Teaching this year. Finances. Trying to find a job?! (way harder than it should be with a degree, by the way)
Where did you travel to this year: Absolutely nowhere! I suppose I've been around Tassie but I wouldn't count that as travel.
Are you happy with your life right now: No, but we're getting there slowly. One step at a time. Ask me again in 5 years.

Who was the last person you saw: Probably the people I was spending NYE with!
Who is the last person who texted you: My mother.
Who was the last person you texted: Who even texts anymore?! It's 2021, champ.
Who was the last person you hung out with: My partner.
Who was the last person to call you: My partner.
Who did you last hug: Hmmmmm it was either my partner again (haha) or my mother.
Who was the last person you said "I love you" to: My partner!
What did you last cry over: It was ages ago but nothing worth wasting my time talking about now. Ahem.
Where did you last go: Nowhere special, I suppose. Travel isn't quite recommended at this point!
What was the last game you played: Halo 1 maaaaaaaaaaybe. Didn't really game as much as I usually do in the latter half of the year.

The New Year
What are you looking forward to most in 2021: Just getting my actual adult life back on track.
What do you hope to improve about yourself in the next year to come: I probably still hold onto things a little harder than I should do. I need to fix that. It's a little pathetic, but you know. Everyone has moments of weakness.
What do you hope to do more of in 2021: Having fun.
Other than time & money, what do you want more of in the New Year: Can I say bananas?! They're a great time.
What game are you looking forward to: Oh I don't even know at this point haha. Halo Infinite I suppose?! Probably won't even be able to get a new console by then anyway.

Game:
CoD Warzone
Movie: Not much happened last year in terms of movies, right? I can't even remember.
TV Show: The Mandalorian is quite good! Probably the best Star Wars thing I've seen in a while. Also The Handmaid's Tale is kinda fantastic.
Book: I'll be honest and say that I did not read a single book for pleasure in 2020 oooops. I'll try to change that this year, but uni kinda takes the fun out of reading.
Song: Designed by Birds of Tokyo.
Dish/Food: Hmmmmmmmm a good ol' salad and a chicken parmi on the side. Yum.
Place to eat: Nandos! Nothing wrong with some cheeky Nandos with the boys.
Holiday: Never heard of it!

FFF
What was your favorite thread: Probably the music thread, haha. It's always a great time!
What was your favorite Birthweek event: Due to personal issues throughout the year, sadly I didn't participate in many of the fantastic events set up by staff. Hopefully that'll change in 2021!
What was your favorite seasonal event: Ditto!
Which event do you hope to see/look forward to next year: Gimme some of those VOICES
What is your favorite Cegling: :rossmanian: and there is no other correct answer
What is your favorite movie from FFF movie night: The Mummy! I think everyone enjoyed that. Also the only one I was able to watch in its entirety (thanks timezones)
Favorite FFF-specific Meme(s): Hmmmmmm not sure haha
Which item do you hope to buy in the Mogshop next year: We'll see!
Which forum were you most active in? (Find this in your stats on the forum list page) XIV I think!
How many posts/messages do you currently have: 832
How much Gil/MP do you currently have? 64 Gil and 1 Mako point.

Back