Frustrations

Crystal

Red Mage
Veteran
Gil
We all have probably been frustrated at some point in a FF game we played. For example, boss battles, sidequests or longwinded missions?
Where did you get frustrated at?
Try to state a frustration at each FF game you played!
Here's mine.

FFVII-
Chocobo race. I really had trouble in getting the right chocobo's. It took a while before I had the right chocobo's.

FFVIII- Getting Energy Crystal's. Those Elnoyes never showed up and I have wandered around Esthar for a while, avoiding the little enemies.

FFX-
Getting the celestial weapons. Oh boy, that really makes you frustrated.
Wakka's, Tidus' and Kimahri's were the worst to get.
With Tidus one those damn birds made it almost impossible.
Wakka's one simply took too long
And with Kimahri's one I always grabbed a red butterfly or barely missed the last blue butterfly.

FFX-2 -

Monkey matching, it didn't make sense and it took way too long. I just wanted to continue >.<
And those 100 levels in bevelle, couldn;t they shorten it to 50?

FFXII- can't really think of one now

FFXIII-

Getting platinum ingot's.. stupid drop rate. I've fought adamantoises for days and rarely received one.

FFDOC- It's been a while I played that one, honestly can't remember

Frustrations... :hmmm:

FFVI - The Dragon Neck Colosseum. Watching your chosen character make poor decision after poor decision is infuriating.

FFVII - Playing through those drawn out cutscenes that never seem to end (Kalm flashback, Lifestream, etc...)

FFVIII - The card game. There's no way you're gonna get every card w/o using an FAQ - bad game design.

FFIX - Attempting to play through the game in 12 hours only to find that you've overshot the time by an hour or so.

FFX - The cloister of trials. They wern't fun, just irritating.

FFXII - Not having direct access to your airship. Having to find a teleport crystal to get to somewhere only to find out you can only get there via airship or vice versa.

FFXIII - Too many. Stand out ones include being funnelled through the game's corridor like maps and a boring storyline.

II:
pretty much the whole levelling system especially at the start of Soul of Rebirth, finding places when you don't have a bloody map.

IV:
Barbaraccia's (? the wind one) maelstrom, the last part of the last dungeon with the insanely strong monsters like Behemoths.

V:
Trying to avoid touching Omega in last dungeon, but it just walks right into you. Thank god for that save point nearby.

VI:
The multi-floored magic tower thingy, removing the curse from cursed shield, when the CPU makes terrible decisions in the colosseum (i.e. casting crap magic like scan. JUST ATTACK AND YOU'LL WIN DAMMIT).

VII:
Finding the right type of chocobo, accesory break in the battle arena.

VIII:
Getting pulse ammos. Same/plus/random rule in Triple Triad.

IX:
Slow battles, Quina's frog catching, Zidane's awful stealing skills, Six dragons.

X:
Celestrial item collecting (esp. butterfly game, lightning dodging and blitzball)

Last edited:
Most of my frustrations were the result of boss battles. I can't be stuffed listing all of them from all of the FF's I've played, so here are the main ones which spring to mind.

FFVI- I found Zozo quite annoying. This whole part of the game just bugged me.

FFVII- I had plenty of frustrations with this game but one which sticks out is that battle with Reno Rude and Elena when you go back to Midgar.

FFVIII- I found Adel incredibly hard and she almost made me give up. Also my last disc didn't work. It would cut out right before Ultimecia's castle. But I was using a pirated (PC) copy, so I got my mate to re-burn the disc for me.

FFIX-I found the first of the final bosses particularly hard (deathguise). Funnily enough I defeated the bosses after him on my first try.

FFX- First time I played it I got stuck on Seymour Flux for ages and I ended up giving up and my save file got lost. The next time I played it I beat Seymour Flux with relative ease but got stuck on Yunalesca.

FFX-2- I forgot its name but it was some optional boss who you fight in the desert. It had some ridiculous amount of HP. I fought it for some ridiculous amount of time like an hour or two and it ended up killing me anyway. At that point I thought "Fuck this" and went and got Cat Nip. I then equipped it on Yuna, made her a gunner and went trigger happy on the motherfucker.

FFXII- I got stuck on that mini boss fight when you are on the Leviathan where you fight a judge and a few soldiers or something.

Getting Energy crystals in VIII did my HEAD in ...dragon Fangs as well acrtually, til i learnt about that elnoyle in esthar.... but yeah, I used to just sit there tryingto farm them for HOURS, praying that a ruby dragon would drop them -__-

The chocobo race in X....ugh.... i know i can do it, but sometimes it takes me FOREVER. The final corner ont he butterfly catching thing for khimarhi as well, good GOD. The control pad actually got thrown

Also. Lightning bolt dodgin. untold amounts of anger rose from that.... extreme temper tantrums :hmph:

I actually dont think anything ever frustrated me more than the first time i got lulus celestial weapon, i just could NOT dodge 200 fucking bolts :rage:

Hmmm...

FFIII: The whole ending run...I mean, COME ON. Five, six bosses in succession without a save point?! It takes about an hour and a half to get through all that, and my patience ran out with my supply of Shurikens...

FFIV: Being ambushed by Sandworms at the beginning of the game...ARGH, THE NUMBER OF DEATHS THAT RESULTED FROM THAT WAS UNBELIEVABLE. I can't believe how damned persistent they were....
...Mom Bomb was annoying, as well. I wasn't expecting the explosion. As was using Palom and Porom, who were both awful...add Scarmiglione's back attack to that and practically the entire beginning of FFIV was infuriating.

FFVI: ...getting that stupid combo attack to work. I kept screwing it up...

FFVIII: Fighting 20 Tonberry to get Tonberry King to appear. How freakin' TEDIOUS. Half the later Triple Triad rules are evil, as well. "Same", "Plus" and, worst of all, "Random"...

FFX: Practically every minigame. Especially Blitzball. FFS. Most irritating minigame EVER. Chocobo racing wasn't much fun, either, nor was the butterfly hunting. Lightning dodging was alright, it just took a while...

FFXII: The Hell Wyrm. I just set some Gambits and let the game play itself out...it took my characters damn near 2 hours to kill the thing. Yiazmat was actually fun, but that creature was just annoying...
...Zodiark's instant death effect was aggravating, as well. Black Mask or no, if Darkja came up you risked getting totally pwned...

FFXIII: ...the entire game? Yeah, that sums it up nicely.

Crisis Core: The last mission before Minerva. I found that harder than Minerva herself...stupid fecking soldiers and tanks. Minerva took a lot of preparation, as well...I had to steal Phoenix Downs from her for funds so many times...

FFX-2- I forgot its name but it was some optional boss who you fight in the desert. It had some ridiculous amount of HP. I fought it for some ridiculous amount of time like an hour or two and it ended up killing me anyway. At that point I thought "Fuck this" and went and got Cat Nip. I then equipped it on Yuna, made her a gunner and went trigger happy on the motherfucker.

It's Angra Mainyu. <_<

The bastard just wouldn't die!

I think I tried for four hours in a row and died about three times until I finally beat it. I was not about to let it defeat me! :gonk:

It was terrible. It's the only thing that comes to mind when I think of the most frustrating moments in Final Fantasy games. >.<

Even the music was scary.

EDIT: Oh and this MOFO!!! How could I forget him!

Chac in FFX-2:

He is the reason I gave up on FFX-2 two or three years ago now. <_<

Last edited:
Final Fantasy I - There's this one dungeon that you need to basically clear 4 times and kill the 4 different bosses, I don't think I've ever been more frustrated than that lol. Not to mention I died quite a few times on them because they have an ability that can one-shot the party.

Final Fantasy IV - Defeating Zeromus was really a pain, I had to back and grind a few more hours to level up, then beat him.

Final Fantasy VIII - I had a lot of trouble killing Bahamut on my first play-through, some of the puzzles were pretty annoying, and I absolutely hated the sewers, it took me a loooong time to finally find my way out. Also, the cave with the brothers was pretty annoying, I kept getting lost.

Final Fantasy X - I had a lot of trouble beating Seymour the first time, I don't remember exactly, I just know I died a lot.

Final Fantasy X-2 - When you get to the Farplane at the end, I thought it was kind of annoying having to do that puzzle with the musical notes, and I kept getting owned by Ultima/Omega weapon, I forget which one spawns.

Final Fantasy XII - It's been a while since I've played this one, but I remember this bomb boss, on my first play-through it took me like 50 tries to beat him, I was pretty frustrated there. Also the Behemoth King, it took me a long time to find him.

I know there's a lot more than that, but those are the ones I remember the most.

IV- The Behemoths in the Lunar Subterranean area :rage: They do a crazy amount of damage, and you can't run away from them, so if you encounter them on that long stretch between save points there it's really infuriating because even if they don't kill you, they'll make you use up your healing abilities rather quickly :jtc: The only thing I've found really works for them is using Edge's Image function and having Blink cast upon everyone else; that will hold him off at least a little bit. The Magus sisters also gave me a bit of grief on my first playthrough, but I was also really young and I knew nothing of strategy at that point ^_^

VI- The Storm Dragon :rage: I wasn't nearly leveled up enough the first time I fought him, and I literally tried about 20 times before I succeeded in defeating him :banghead: For some reason he was disproportionately difficult, because at my low levels I was still able to get past every other monster with a fair amount of ease.

VII- The Emerald Weapon :gonk: Not necessarily trying to defeat it, though it was difficult, but just the task of trying to avoid it while traveling underwater :wtf: It was so creepy to turn a corner and see it there, lurking, laughing at me, waiting to engage me when I was least expecting it...

VIII- Drawing spells one at a time, or failing intermittently :banghead: Valuable ones too, like Esuna :ffs: I usually like getting them all up to 100 when I draw, but I just did not have the patience for those that only came one at a time :mokken:

IX- The Epitaphs in Oelivert :mokken: Constantly KO'ing one party member in each battle does not earn my favor.

X- The lack of communication between Tidus and Yuna concerning what was going to happen at the end. I'll leave it at that. Oh, and trying for hours and hours to obtain ingredients for every element of weapon just to find that the final battle was easy enough to win in one hit :mokken: Oh, and who could forget the darling Tonberries :rage: The entirety of the Omega Ruins was a death trap, but at least it did provide a challenge if the final battle wasn't going to.

XII- Finding the randomly-appearing hunts :banghead: I must have spent half a day just trying to get five Razorfins to show up, and I don't even remember now why I needed that many of them :jtc: And the Carrot? Forget it :ffs:

Oh boy this should be fun!

FFVII: The Lack of powerful enemies outside of the northern cave, like messing with animals some encounters were. Aeris Dying........unnecessary.

FFVIII: This is outside of the game itself,because I thought and thought and could not find 1 thing wrong this game, I cant find a decent replica of the Revolver Gunblade
anywhere.

FFIX: Slow ATB. Bloody Slow ATB.

FFX: Conditional Turn Based System. Should have run in realtime it would have been much better IMO.

FFXII: VAAAAAAN dammit!!! I hate this guy, the hell is he anyway?
Androgynous Punk ass buster. Why did they kill rassler?

FFXIII: Weak lead character, Lightning was ok but lacked anything new, Its like they but a dress on cloud.....wait a minute?. Also the lack of being able to switch to a different fighter mid baddle(thats not switch in your reserve party but change to other active mebers) real killed this game. Oh Ialmost forgot to mention the fact that its game over you battle leader dies......thats a great way to guarantee frustration S-E

FFDissidia: Annoying high rate of dodge by the CPU on harder settings. Ridiculous when they keep doging when they were far enough away that you cant reach them.

FFX-2: No Tidus=Whats the point?
Sure running around with 3 chicks was fun but enough was enough.

I'm sure there were more but these were the thing that vexed me the most and blemished some part of the game for me......like "ugh whats the point?"

Final Fantasy III: NO PHOENIX DOWNS!!12!!

Final Fantasy IV: Behemoths of the hell hole that is.... the Lunar Subterrane.

Final Fantasy VI: Phoenix Tower.

Final Fantasy VII: the WEAPONs. Was a realtively easy game.

Final Fantasy VIII: Trabia Garden. Nuff' said.

Final Fantasy IX: Beatrix at the end of Disc 1, Garland in Pandemonium.

Final Fantasy X: Yu Pagodas.

Final Fantasy XII: Elementites

Final Fantasy XIII: The Prad Clad errr Prod Cloud.... That spider thing.

Last edited:
FFVII - It was a certain boss i think if you didnt kill it after awhile it kills you automatically
FFIX- Zidane sucks at his job what kind of theif can steal once in awhile

FFX - Yunalesca <_< never should a boss be that hard and require for any of your characters to have a certain status aliment to survive

FF IV - The battle with Odin :rage: The time limit. >.> The battle with Bahamut was pretty annoying as well. Having to keep reviving characters and casting and recasting wall since there was no chance of surviving his attack. :mokken:

FFVII - The Kalm flashback. :ffs: It was alright the first time through but on subsequent replays, it's just so long and dreadfully dull since I already know the story. The Lifestream scene as well.

FFVIII - Trying to lure the Tonberry King out but by killing 24354554 Tonberries in a row. :8F:

FFIX - The relatively slow ATB system and Trance :-)rage:). Of the many times I've played this game, I've only had one useful trance. :ffs: It was just a very poorly implemented limit break system, imo.

yeah this was back when I was young and the internets wasn't available (at least for me xD) for looking up guides and what not.

I remember the first time I played through 7 by myself I got to the part where Cloud wakes up in Aeris's house for the first time, then he tries to sneak out.

Now I liked to run everywhere I went, but on this part, you had to walk, or else you'd wake her up and you'd get sent back to your room to start over again xD.

so yeah... like I just kept running wondering "WTF how do I beat this" aaaand roughly 50 tries later I kinda catch on...and remember I'm supposed to be "sneaking" out xD

Back