Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So what's your first online interaction with other people like? I'm talking about the very first time you chatted with someone online, after you've bypassed parental controls and you shouldn't have been online talking to strangers. How old were you? Did you do or say something you weren't supposed to?

I'm sure we have all our crazy stories! Asl, anyone?

Last edited:
I can't remember my very, very first, as my sister used to have "internet at her place" and I'd be allowed to use kid friendly chat rooms sometimes, lmao.

What I do remember is MSN, interacting with classmates. Passive aggressive name changes, and screennames that were way too long. I can't remember my exact age though, perhaps around 13-14? I don't have any crazy stories to tell about things I wasn't supposed to say/do though. What a goodie two shoes. :rofl: It still makes me cringe thinking back.

Man. I miss MSN screen names.

Passive aggressive name changes, and screennames that were way too long.

Calling out me and everyone I talked to like that, wow :(

My very first online experience was playing multiplayer browser games, on a site called Jippii (I think it also had a UK version 🤔), at a friend's house. He had ISDN internet, for those old enough to remember that :P

Oh boy, I had to of been younger than 8 when I was in those AOL chat rooms chatting up weirdos and lying about my A's in my A/S/L's - I remember on different occasions asking my brother what a 'virgin' was so that I could properly respond to people... and I had no idea what my bra size even was at that time. I'm cringing soooooo hard right now. Obviously now people don't let their potentially 6 year olds on the internet like they used to. I have no idea where my parental guidance was at that time but they were on the cusp of a divorce. It makes me sick thinking about it now, but I honestly was just too oblivious to be scarred I guess.

When I was about 11-12ish I left the chatroom scene (as most maturing 11 year olds do) and became a regular on some forums by submitting a Chocobo fanart that my brother drew with my name written on it (my dad helped me email it lol.) I grew up talking to those people until a little after high school before they kinda died off, merged and archived the old stuff.

I was an avid AIM user till I moved to MSN. Man, I miss MSN the most. ⚰

What I do remember is MSN, interacting with classmates. Passive aggressive name changes, and screennames that were way too long.

Apart from the long screennames, I also remember putting in a lot of flowers, stars and love hearts to make it look pretty :LOL:

MSN, was also my first experience talking to people online. It was mostly with friends or classmates. I was in high school, and can only remember using it from when I was around 14-15.

Other than that, there aren't really any crazy stories to tell.

Reactions: Six
Apart from the long screennames, I also remember putting in a lot of flowers, stars and love hearts to make it look pretty :LOL:

The (*) star was my go to... 😆

Oh boy, I had to of been younger than 8 when I was in those AOL chat rooms chatting up weirdos and lying about my A's in my A/S/L's - I remember on different occasions asking my brother what a 'virgin' was so that I could properly respond to people... and I had no idea what my bra size even was at that time.

Oh gosh! xD Brings back a lot of cringe memories for sure! Did he at least give you a proper explanation of what a 'virgin' means? From a brother though, that's crazy!

I think my story is going to be more related to yours, Dagger. >_<

So, unfortunately I remember my very first interaction with a stranger. Pretty sure I was 12 years old and I was at my aunt's house - family gathering. I have discovered the internet, but I wasn't sure what it was, really. I did notice this little window open (I think it was AOL chat...) and the name "michael" on the screen (which was my aunt's boyfriend's username but I had no idea at the time). I must've clicked something because this male stranger popped in and said hello, etc. I thought, "Oh, I can type something here" and so I did. There I was, typing as Michael (I don't think I was paying much attention to the username...) trying to flirt and impress this guy who I think was 18 years old... I can't remember, but I know he was in college because he mentioned a college. I lied and pretended I was 18 years old... >.< I know, I know! Not proud of that. I swear that was the first and last time!

I said something along the lines of, "Yeah I study art at Harvard University" in my eagerness to grow up.

Long story short, I got in trouble because they saw the chat and I was being really stupid. But that didn't stop me from entering teen chatrooms a couple years later and actually being true to my age, lol. I did sneak around (especially late at night) and figured out my stepmom's parental control password simply by asking my dad who was totally oblivious about parenting and the dangers of the internet. I was pretty wild as a preteen concerning the internet and online interaction with people...I don't think I'll share the rest of my shenanigans with you all. We'll leave the past, in the past.

Mature points -9999!

Last edited:
I don't actually remember my first interaction, but I do remember back when the internet was commercialized. I remember when it took hours to load a single page. I remember when everyone just had to brag about having AOL and getting the new-and-improved 56k modem over their old 28.8k modem. I remember when Jeeves was a household name and everyone just had to ask that butler something, anything. I remember when the DotCom bubble got big. I remember when the Demotivational poster was the de-facto meme format and when Lulzcats became mainstream.

I remember it all.

P.S. ! 3\\/3|\\| |23/\\/\\3/\\/\\|33|2 \\/\\/|-|3|\\| 7|-|!5 |33(4/\\/\\3 |D0|D(_)|_4|2.

Back