Final Fantasy XV made by SquareEnix's new LA division? [11/4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

王 Yoshida

King Of Asians
Gil
The annual CEDEC development conference is not known for major announcements. But Square Enix's Yosuke Shiokawa and Yuki Matsuzawa brought a surprise to their session today in Yokohama.

Shiokawa served as director on Dissidia Final Fantasy. Matsuzawa was concept artist for Final Fantasy XIII.

During a two part afternoon session discussing overseas development issues, the two revealed that they're working with an American development team on a new game. Famitsu.com, in its coverage of the session, described the game as a "large scale project" and "a top class title that targets overseas core gamers."

Shiokawa is serving as creative director, with Matsuzawa serving as concept artist. The two are themselves working out of America.

Without naming the title, Matsuzawa and Shiokawa gave a development timeline, which you can see in this slide at Famitsu.com.

According to the slide, one and a half years have passed since development started. Over this time, development has progressed through the following phases:

Conception
Six months spent looking into the key features of the product and creating a prototype.
Vertical Slice
Six months spent making a 15 minute gameplay build at 70% quality.
Pre-Production
Four months spent focusing the concept by playing the vertical slice build and getting feedback. Also, creation of the "pipeline" and other areas of the development environment.
The slide says that they are now in full development of the game. Assuming the positioning of the marker is to scale, the project appears to still be a ways out.

Rather than introducing a new game, the session was meant to describe some of the issues of cross cultural development. The name of the session was "Our First Japanese and American Group Development."

Shiokawa and Matsuzawa revealed that their initial image of North American development consisted of three points: "focus on realistic games," "top down production model" and "lots of documentation." However, reality turned out to be different from their expectations.

For Shiokawa, there were initially some issues regarding characters and a focus on reality. Many expect overseas games, in particular action games and shooters, to have macho characters solve problems with their strength and fists. One also often hears that overseas gamers are critical of the Japanese way of having slender characters or female characters fighting, claiming this to lack realism.

Interestingly enough, during early presentations, many of the overseas staff with whom Shiokawa was working appeared to not want realism, saying things looked too plain or uninteresting. At the same time, when changing the concept to fantasy, the staff felt that while this certainly appears to be flashy it's hard to understand.

In the end, Shiokawa came to the conclusion that the characters who appear in overseas games are meant to be "believable." In other words, they don't just clear hurdles simply because they're "tough men." Rather, they have a believability about them because they're able to clear hurdles because they are tough men with various backgrounds behind them.

Some of the finer points appear to be lost in Famitsu's short summary, but Shiokawa summed his part of the presentation up with a slide listing "Not a focus on realistic games, not fantasy, but believability." He for some reason chose to illustrate this with an image of a cat.

Matsuzawa, meanwhile, initially approached the project in accordance with his expectations of a top down approach. However, the staff did not seem to like this.

He came to the conclusion that rather than having decisions forced from above, the staff greatly value the feel of taking part in the process. He felt that it was important for him to, for instance, make drawings of the main character, take these out in meetings, have the staff debate freely about it, and manage by considering the general feel of the debate.

Matsuzawa summed up his part of the presentation with a slide listing "Not top-down decision making, but group decision making and reading between the lines." Unfortunately, the image Matsuzawa used to illustrate this point was covered up by a menu in Famitsu's photo.

source >>>http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/01/new_square_enix_game/

:ffs:

SQUARE MOTHER FAWKIN' ENIX!

If the American game developers even as much TOUCH FINAL FANTASY in ANY WAY, I will NOT be a fan anymore. This is frickin' gonna destroy the series. DO NOT base everything on what the American fans want. ALL of the games went better when you stuck with the Japanese people's cravings in your games. WE LOVED THEM. You're going to plummet in the dust to me, I'm about to give up.

IF FFXV turned kinda like a Sandbox( like Fallout or The Elder Scrolls)with great exploration and quests, but conserved the awesome battle system,awesome charatcters and music it always had, the game would be perfect to me.

IF it were like MQ....I DO hope it will not.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Hatifnatten, but in a less aggressive way. I'm gonna cry. Final Fantasy doesn't deserve to be localized for selfish western players who can't accept something foreign or try new things. What about all the existing Final Fantasy fans who love what was always beautiful? Instead of trying to get new, stupid American fans, why not just make their existing fans gain their trust again after the somewhat disappointing Final Fantasy XIII (not to me, but to others) and the thing called Final Fantasy XIV? Don't trash your fans, Square! T_T

EDIT: Don't start a flamewar, you two. But I must say, Otakus can be nicer than westernized fanboys. I know from first hand experience.

*sigh*....

I doubt it will be FF. If they took that big of a risk with it, they would be stupid. It seems alot of japanese companies, instead of stepping up themselves and making great games, are giving their properties to other western development studios (who quite frankly arent even that good of developers or havent proven themselves) to make the game for them and just fund them. It really makes no sense.

To me it seems like they are jumping on the bandwagon. So many people, including the gaming media, praise the western game developers like the second coming, yet what do we see. Fallout? I mean alot of people like it, but it's a buggy as hell game, with very uninteresting story/characters (Everyone looks like lifeless and bored in those games) and FPS controls. It isnt even an RPG.

Then we have games like Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, which while look awesome and have decent stories, have very mediocre gameplay. Honestly, I cant think of a time recently where I played a western game that made me feel amazing after I was done. Im not a fan of westerns (cowboy stuff) so Red Dead Redemption doesnt do it for me, games like Oblivion and Fallout have stories and locals that put me to sleep, Halo is fairly generic storywise and hasnt really evolved much gameplay wise. Yet these games get put up like they are godly. The last game that while not having the best game, had an amazing story, was Nier. Resonance of Fate also had a much better story than people gave it credit for.

It's sad to see a developer that once had so much confidence it itself, give into the pressure and try to make games for western audiences, and end up making mediocre games because of it, instead of going in their own natural progression like they always had before.

I partially blame the gaming media for putting western developers on some ungodly high shelf and for gamers today being so run and gun, twitch happy gamers who have no patience. If they arent killing something and shooting it in the head, or killing large amounts of zombies, it seems like the game wont sell or is horrible.

A great percentage of the hatters from FFXIII are exactly the fans from the olders,not necessary the western fans(although some of these people really badmouthed it without even knowing a J-rpg,and yes,they suck).

But if you see in forums,the critics,it's almost EVERYTIME ''ohhh,but XII had a great world map,XIII not'' or ''FF ended in X,XIII just SUCKS''

And it was always like this.EVERYTIME a new FF is released,some older fans just keep saying those things.

And I don't really think western players hates new things.Fallout 3 is a lot different than previous.

FFXII was a LOT different than X and X-2 too(and so was XI),and it rocks,a LOT.

But the game was a lot compared to Rogue Galaxy when it was released,people just kept saying the same shit that the XII had not random battles anymore,nor battle themes,etc. And Square made XIII,that was a LOT more traditional than both XI and XII,with screen changes,menu-driving battles,and some fans hated anyway.

Conclusion- Really,a great part of the fans themselves don't know what they really want.

In the end, Shiokawa came to the conclusion that the characters who appear in overseas games are meant to be "believable." In other words, they don't just clear hurdles simply because they're "tough men." Rather, they have a believability about them because they're able to clear hurdles because they are tough men with various backgrounds behind them.

Oh, finally! Someone gets it. Fucking finally. I like how this Shiokawa person had to do research and target analysis to come to that conclusion. I hope he makes some good of this "new" finding.

I agree with all of you !!! , The west never had imo the same level of creativity and imagination as Asia has ....so now SE will work with shortminded Western people.

It could end up being a interested project or it could blow up even more in their and our faces :rage:

If this game = a side project, it might give SE even more losses..
If this game = FFXV = it better be goood !! :rage:

This shit pisses me off... although I dont even know that American develop team..so I cant really trashtalk them , but still fuck the WEST!

Shit those fools have gone nuts...

I actually love fantasy ! More fantasy.. there is nothing wrong with fantasy as long as its believable!

They wanna make Final Reality so it seems...

What if the future of FF = ACTION RPG :ffs:

A bit hasty to think that this could be FFXV, don't you think? For all I know, it's probably some spinoff game like Fortress or something. To be honest, I don't even think FFXV has even been launched further off the planning and concept stages yet. xD

You can argue this in both ways, depending on how you see things. I believe that this could be a good opportunity for Square Enix to see just why the western market is more dominant over the Japanese market at the moment. If we're on about Final Fantasy here, that's a huge franchise name and SE can no longer focus primarily on its Japanese audience anymore nowadays. You saw what happened with FFXIII. They tried to garner some feedback, but left it too late into the game's development period for feedbacks and suggestions from the global audience to have any real impact. It's also a chance to see what SE does with its storylines from now on. While their most recent FF stories haven't quite been car crashes at all, they're still rather predictable, still hanging on to many JRPG clichés. I'm not saying that they should now entirely copy western story ideas though, hell no.

On the other hand though, this determined appoach to "westernisation" is controversial, and it is disconcerting that Wada is so determined to pursue it. If you focus too much on appealing your game for the western audience primarily, what kind of product do you make? A pseudo-western style game that may be very generic in style and gameplay in comparison to other quality western games - just some imperfect replicant of a western game that has lost its Japanese charms? Very likely. If that happens to Final Fantasy, I'd love to see what happens then to Square Enix, as its core audience in Japan may never forgive them for this, nor will people who have always enjoyed FF for what it is.

I remember reading an article about 1 or 2 years ago, where SE said that after XIII, FF would take a complete different route in terms of gameplay and concept, so I'm not surprised they are working outside Japan.

And... :sad: oh well if it is to make a change - I'm IN and I won't argue against until I see real impressions. I mean a
CHANGE is worthy when it's well done. And FF needs some refreshment urgently ;)

Famitsu.com, in its coverage of the session, described the game as a "large scale project" and "a top class title that targets overseas core gamers."

Well apparantly its no side project :ffs:
Hope this isnt FFXV......:hmmm:

They also say in this article they have already been working on it for 1.5 years? or is that preparation?

It could be Ff13Versus :gasp2:

Well apparantly its no side project :ffs:
Hope this isnt FFXV......:hmmm:

They also say in this article they have already been working on it for 1.5 years? or is that preparation?

It could be Ff13Versus :gasp2:

May not be FFXV, but certainly isn't XIII Versus. They've been working for it for much longer than that, and analyzing what they say it surely isn't!

May not be FFXV, but certainly isn't XIII Versus. They've been working for it for much longer than that, and analyzing what they say it surely isn't!
Yeah based on what aspects they were focusing it cant be Versus, I forgot about that piece of the article...

But how long they are working on versus might not be longer...didnt SE decide to let a division focus mainly on FF13 when it was made? Plus all those side projects they been popping out..

I wouldnt be surprised they are only working on Versus for 1.5 year or so.

Yeah based on what aspects they were focusing it cant be Versus, I forgot about that piece of the article...

But how long they are working on versus might not be longer...didnt SE decide to let a division focus mainly on FF13 when it was made? Plus all those side projects they been popping out..

I wouldnt be surprised they are only working on Versus for 1.5 year or so.

They're making the entire Fabula Nova Crystalis w/ver since they were making FFXII (2005 maybe). It passed so many years that I lost counting. I hope its worthy of waiting.

FFVII remake then?

Think about it...........FFVII has become heavily focused on the western market.
Design change, Voice preference, a diminishing return in sales from in JapaneseRPG's
requiring a mode change to stay alive in the industry.

PLus it would give S-E an answer to the heavily criticized problem of not having enough staff to do the FFVII remake Project.

Not concrete evidence by any stretch of the imagination but it fits?

FFVII remake then?

Think about it...........FFVII has become heavily focused on the western market.
Design change, Voice preference, a diminishing return in sales from in JapaneseRPG's
requiring a mode change to stay alive in the industry.

PLus it would give S-E an answer to the heavily criticized problem of not having enough staff to do the FFVII remake Project.

Not concrete evidence by any stretch of the imagination but it fits?

I don't think it's possible to be the FFVII remake.

Firstly because they have already all the ingredients in their hands: storyline, concept and production all inside Japan, so why would they need to go to US?

And secondly, as they say, it's something brand new. FFXIII concept artist was there, but this project can be related to a FF or can be something totally distant from the concept. Right now there are only speculations.

Personally, all this sounds at a germinal state and like a way of scouting deeper into current tendencies.

It's also interesting to see the way they're "fighting" between realism and fantasy. Those elements affect completely both markets.

How Irritating.

A brand new concept huh?
I pulled a :tl;dr: job on Yoshidas OP so I missed that part:hmph:
I doubt it was the FFVII remake.........but you never know.

Tomorrow they could come out and say "Hey ! we are gonna do a FFVII remake for the Fans, coz they deserve a decent game from us for a change!" and wed all be like :yay:

The FF games are sorta already goin' down the drain anyways. I'm a bit interested, if it happens, to see how Americans handle the series. I just hope its not a continued thing and they keep allowing Americans, who can't really make good games, develop more FF games. That would be a great horror.

If the makers of Assassin's Creed comes to help then...well, let's just say I'd be excited :hurr

*coughffpokemonlikegamecough*

I honestly think SE is losing the plot, so to speak. Recent SE games (either developed and produced or just produced by SE) haven't really done well from my perspective. The latest SE produced game, Front Mission Evolved, is terrible... but that's what you get when they passed the developmental rights to Double Helix, a company I've never heard of before. Regarding what this 'new project' could be... it could be many things. FFXV, FFVII remake (god I hope not >.<), Hell... could even be a new Kingdom Hearts game (Another series I loathe.). Until more information is revealed, it's fruitless to guess what it could be.

To the Western Developers haters: BioWare has proven themselves to be just as good as SE when it comes to making RPG's. Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect series and Dragon Age series which are great games/series in their own right. Then there's Bethesda with the Elder Scrolls series, which I admit I didn't like initially, but Oblivion changed my mind. Lionhead studios with the Fable series, another series I didn't like initially until I played Fable II. There have been some great RPG's made by western developers in the past as well... Capcom with the Breath of Fire series (which was let down by the fifth and final installment), Sierra with the Quest for Glory series (which is absolutely brilliant) and SSI (Strategic Simulations Incorporated) with their Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms titles. While Western RPG's aren't for everyone, they are good games as well. I used to be a sole JPRG player, but as I've gotten older, I prefer WRPG's over JRPG's as I personally feel that WRPG's fit me better, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back