Final Fantasy XIV Beta Detailed [2/28]

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogling

yaoi master ari
Veteran
Gil
When Square Enix promised some Final Fantasy XIV information for the VanaFest 2010 event, many assumed we'd be getting solid details on the game's beta program. We got details, but they were a bit vague.

Pulled from Square Enix's own English statement about the beta:

"With FFXIV drawing nearer its beta phase, we are excited to announce that we will be conducting a closed alpha test, exclusive to our loyal Final Fantasy XI users. Those who have been selected as beta testers can expect to receive further information starting from Monday, March 1. The tester website is scheduled to go live on Thursday, March 11."

Square Enix's official Japanese statement reads exactly the same.

After a bit of confusion at our mobile blog (we've since edited it -- sorry!), our own on-hand correspondent learned from Square Enix reps that show attendees would be getting codes for the alpha and beta of FFXIV.

Famitsu.com confirms that all attendees will be able to take part in both the alpha and beta tests for the game, but it did not share details.

Gpara's report also says that all attendees will be able to take part in an alpha test and beta test that will be held in the future. It says that on March 1, beta test participants will be announced. The wording at Gpara seems to imply that the beta and alpha tests are indeed separate.

For clarification, it looks like we're going to have to wait until at the earliest tomorrow (March 1) or at the latest March 11, when the tester site goes live.

Final Fantasy XIV's presence at the event was limited to this beta information and a trailer. We're receiving mixed reports about the trailer too, some saying the trailer had "new FFXIV gameplay tootage" (FFXIV Core), and others saying the opening movie was revealed for the first time (Famitsu.com).

A roundtable session that we'd heard would cover FFXIV was limited to just FFXI.

If you've had your fill of FFXI and are now in full FFXIV hype mode, don't be disappointed by this lack of information. Talk of beta and alpha tests is a good sign that Square Enix is starting to open up on its next big MMORPG.

Source: Andriasang

So will the beta be available on ps3? If it is on computer then forget about it because I would rather play the beta and see how its like on ps3. XIV should be really fun with all the new classes and stuff. I hope the beta will be free or im not playing :hmmm:

I think it may be PC only. I've never heard anything about a PS3 beta.

SE being very vague on information again - I'm certainly not surprised. As for the trailer confusion - I wonder what's actually going on for two sources to report two different things. Maybe they watched two different trailers at different times?

Anyway, I hope the soon-to-be beta testers have a good time trying the game out. It sounds like an exciting prospect and I hope there are plenty of positive things to report back. I'll probably never play the game myself though.

The PS3 beta will be released after the PC beta, though I can imagine it being a few months before it's done. You never know with SE, they could release a beta tomorrow without telling anyone >_>

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Coming on March 11 [3/5]

Square Enix is saying that it plans to launch the Final Fantasy XIV MMO beta stage on March 11, with players who are interested in taking part being initially limited to working on the good old PC.

The beta stage will be closed at this time and the number of players who get access will be small according to the developers but it's pretty interesting to see Square Enix actually launching a beta phase for the next product in the franchise just as Final Fantasy XIII is being released in Western markets.

A statement coming from Square Enix says that “Those who were not selected in this drawing, fear not, for there will be other opportunities to come.” The publisher initially took applications for the beta back in December but it’s not clear whether all those who have applied will have access to it. Although the beta is set to start on the PC, it might also move to gaming consoles.

Final Fantasy XIV will be a MMO-like Final Fantasy XI but will not have the same system of advancement based on experience and skill points. The appearance of players will change in the game depending on the acts they perform and crafting and fighting will make players better at those tasks while allowing them to perform any other action they are interested in. The game world will be called Hydaelyn with the main region being named Eorzea.

Final Fantasy XIII will be launched on the Xbox 360 from Microsoft and on the PlayStation 3 from Sony on March 9 on all Western markets. The title has been out since December 2009 in Japan and although it sold well, it has not reached the same level of popularity enjoyed by Final Fantasy VII. A lot of reviewers complained about the mostly linear nature of the experience and the rather lackluster first few hours of the game.

Source: Softpedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back