Final Fantasy XIII Voted 2nd Best Game of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Dengeki has released the results of a readers poll in which people voted for what they thought was the best game of 2009. A list of the top 20 has been published on their website and Final Fantasy XIII has managed to secure second place. Although there has been a backlash of Japanese fans who have complaints ranging from Final Fantasy XIII's linearity to there being no levels, it still seems to have won people over. See the full list of top 20 games below.

1. Dragon Quest IX
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Tales of Vesperia
4. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
5. Steins;Gate
6. Phantasy Star Portable 2
7. Demon’s Souls
8. PERSONA3 PORTABLE
9. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
10. Tales of Graces
11. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam Next PLUS
12. Monster Hunter Tri
13. Love Plus
14. Bayonetta
15. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
16. Shin Megami Tensei STRANGE JOURNEY
17. Layton-kyoju to Majin no Fue
18. THE IDOLM@STER SP
19. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
20. MACROSS ULTIMATE FRONTIER

Source: Dengeki
Source: finalfantasy-xiii

Dengeki has released the results of a readers poll in which people voted for what they thought was the best game of 2009. A list of the top 20 has been published on their website and Final Fantasy XIII has managed to secure second place. Although there has been a backlash of Japanese fans who have complaints ranging from Final Fantasy XIII's linearity to there being no levels, it still seems to have won people over. See the full list of top 20 games below.

1. Dragon Quest IX
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Tales of Vesperia
5. Steins;Gate
7. Demon’s Souls
8. PERSONA3 PORTABLE
10. Tales of Graces
12. Monster Hunter Tri
13. Love Plus
14. Bayonetta
18. THE IDOLM@STER SP

Boayonetta didn't even come out in 09 in japan, im pretty sure in got a simultaneous release on january 5th, but i completely agree with Dragon Quest IX, it was more anticipated than FFXIII

Bayonetta came out really early in Japan, October 29th I think so it was probably forgotten about quite quickly as well. Especially with the likes of FFXIII coming out. :wacky:

But coming 2nd is a hell of an achievement considering there were "reports" of certain groups of people not liking it, so it can't be half bad. I think I just heard the Hong Kong reviewer choke on his morning coffee...

This is a ridiculous list. Bayonetta above AC2 and UC2, and MW2 as well. FFXIII came out on the 17th of December right? There's no way in such a short space of time that people can have evaluated it properly. It's just a complete farce.

1. Dragon Quest IX
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Tales of Vesperia
5. Steins;Gate
7. Demon’s Souls
8. PERSONA3 PORTABLE
10. Tales of Graces
12. Monster Hunter Tri
13. Love Plus
14. Bayonetta
18. THE IDOLM@STER SP

I am so glad that it got in the top five ^_^

FFXIII seems like its gonna be a great game regardless of what anyone says. It was anticipated for so long and seems to have done its job of bringing its greatness to the fans.

On a side note, P3P got 8th :awesome:

Its a great game and definitely deserved to be on the list. The story was great and the addition of the female protagonist was awesome.

This is a ridiculous list. Bayonetta above AC2 and UC2, and MW2 as well. FFXIII came out on the 17th of December right? There's no way in such a short space of time that people can have evaluated it properly. It's just a complete farce.

I agree, but I guess this is a Japanese list and we know how they dislike / do not play very many western games, and don't rate them as highly as their own. This list highlights this to the extremes I think.

I don't tend to take note of lists like these anyway, as there are lots of games that never make it onto a list of any kind that I love over games that tend to get the top spots.

Good to see FFXIII up there, seeing how there has been a lot of bad things written about it, but with lists like these it's hard to tell if that is because it is really good, or just because it has a large fanbase.

I agree, but I guess this is a Japanese list and we know how they dislike / do not play very many western games, and don't rate them as highly as their own. This list highlights this to the extremes I think.

I don't tend to take note of lists like these anyway, as there are lots of games that never make it onto a list of any kind that I love over games that tend to get the top spots.

Good to see FFXIII up there, seeing how there has been a lot of bad things written about it, but with lists like these it's hard to tell if that is because it is really good, or just because it has a large fanbase.

Japan+Bayonetta=One Faptabulous Night

im pretty sure it only sold so much because Famitsu gave it a prefect score, they also gave DQ IX a 40/40, which is why it sold 4.3 million copies, MW2 was actually published by Square Enix so more people would buy it, sadly it didnt work, as for uncharted 2, no cover with anime on it = no sale, even though they did redo the cover for Japan

There's something way off about that list. Steins; Gate is a visual novel for the Xbox 360. How the hell does something like that score better with the Japanese public than New Super Mario Bros. Wii which was one of the best selling games in Japan in 2009? Steins; Gate must really have made a huge impact on the Japanese Xbox 360 owners. All 3 of them :P

Last edited:
Oh awesome! Oh and dragon quest IX is supposed to be a really great game but I still love XIII much better because its gonna be my favorite game ever! HORRAY!!!!! Im so happy it gets 2nd! iTS BETTER THAN NOTHING XD

1. Dragon Quest IX
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Tales of Vesperia
5. Steins;Gate
7. Demon’s Souls
8. PERSONA3 PORTABLE
10. Tales of Graces
12. Monster Hunter Tri
13. Love Plus
14. Bayonetta
18. THE IDOLM@STER SP

Yay! Take that, mysterious, nameless Hong Kong reviewer! What do you say to that? Perhaps FFXIII doesn't suck as bad as you said it does. Hopefully Ryan has already spiked his morning coffee. :awesome:

I know it's a Japanese list, but I really have to laugh at the entries a bit. "Love Plus" is higher than Uncharted 2?! That game with the girl this crazy guy decided to marry? A dating sim game?! Good grief.

Good to see the RPG genre still dominant. The top 10 is mostly dominated by RPGs and SE rules the top two positions, which is always a good sign. Honestly, Japan hasn't changed at all. That's what I love them for.

I avoided making that point because it would contradict what I said. But as you say are biased and have different tastes in games, again making this list pointless.

Well, i'm getting FFXIII simply for the fact that it's the first Final Fantasy I've really anticipated. I wasn't into FF when X and XII came out, and I'm a young'un. =P

The Japanese are biased. I discredited this list once I noticed Uncharted 2 was less than Love Plus, Phantasy Star Portable, and Mobile Suit Gundam. I'm happy XIII was high on the list, but you can really see how much the Japanese love their own games vs Western games.

Technically it's not biased as it's published by Dengeki, a Japanese magazine published for the Japanese. The magazine was never meant to be aimed at the western audience, it just so happens we were shown the list, the main problem being that the Japanese mainly play Japanese games, not western ones. If it was published by the Japanese for the west then I would agree, it'd be biased.

I think it works both ways though, say FIFA10, Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed II were published in the top 3 or so by a western magazine producer such as OPM the Japanese would probably call us biased.

Either way I'm happy Final Fantasy XIII is up there since it was slated before >.>

I just think, overall, Uncharted 2 is a better game than Love Plus, no matter how you look at it. Unless you're just a die hard dating sim person.

I just think, overall, Uncharted 2 is a better game than Love Plus, no matter how you look at it. Unless you're just a die hard dating sim person.

I agree, but I guess there is another way to look at this list. That Uncharted 2 is mentioned on the list at all (seeing as the rest of the games are largely Japanese titles) is pretty impressive, and shows how even the Japanese find the game brilliant.

The Japanese don't tend to play or like western games much, but Uncharted 2 has done pretty well there, which is good news to hear.

I think it works both ways though, say FIFA10, Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed II were published in the top 3 or so by a western magazine producer such as OPM the Japanese would probably call us biased.
And they'd be right, although not about FIFA 10, it's nowhere near a top 5.
Unless you do a survey completely at random, you'll have a selection bias. Because Japanese people like Japanese games more than western games, their lists will have far more Japanese games in a top 10 than a survey taken from a global publisher, ie NA, EU and Japan and New Zealand.
Basically this doesn't prove a lot about the game, which was the point I was trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back