Final Fantasy XIII – team talks cancelled DLC, possible sequel [2/10]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
FFXIII-DLC-Sequel-OU.jpg

As was done with other Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy XIII recently received its own ‘Ultimania Omega’ book in Japan. The book contains interviews and behind-the-scenes discussions with the development team, revealing interesting new details.

The team had planned downloadable content, titled ‘Seventh Ark’, for Final Fantasy XIII. Originally, the downloadable content was intended to be included in the full game, but it was taken out after the team’s hectic development schedule caught up to them. The area would’ve been accessible through the third warp gate in Orphan’s Cradle. Although, after technical problems reared their ugly heads, including those involved with PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360’s different download platforms, the team cancelled the project. On top of that, the team did not believe the content would live up to expectations. The book contains two screenshots showing the a work-in-progress version of the cancelled location.

Also in the book: producer Yoshinori Kitase touched upon a Final Fantasy XIII sequel, as well. He said that if there’s demand, it could very well happen. For now, though, the team has moved onto their next project. Kitase wants them to steadily be able to release a new game every two years.

Source: ScrawlFX

This is pretty neat. I would really love a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII and I really would like to see this cancelled dlc soon enouigh. Final Fantasy XIII was supposed to be a large series so why not. Though people might say a sequel isnt needed, I still want one. I liked the game but it did have its flaws also. Just give us Versus XIII first though and Agito XIII of course.

but it was taken out after the team’s hectic development schedule caught up to them.
Somehow doubt it, a decision that big would have been made before the release date was announced, hence there would have been no set date for the public to be expecting a release - thus, no delay. I remember the interview about the towns when they practically said they were too lazy to add them. When it comes to any business there are deadlines, the decision would have made before it "caught up to them".

He said that if there’s demand, it could very well happen.
And if they listen to the public, it won't happen. Let's face, their core fanbase IS Japan, and it got ripped apart in Japan, just let FFXIII die and move on.

I kind of want to see what happens after the end of the first game, so to speak.

But then again, I think they need to do something different. Maybe make the game adult-rated and have one protagonist trying to kill the other and Snow riding a motorcycle formed by two women... wait...

A possible sequel? Big demand? Uh, sure they might be some 'demands' from people, but hardly anything big that should stop them from working on their next project. I like FF13, but I wasn't a huge fan of the game, so a possible sequel doesn't really excite me.

Big demand? I don't know about that. It sold really well around the globe though in its release, but with the amount of criticism vented at FFXIII, I don't quite see that as being a bit cry out for a sequel. I don't like this infatuation with the idea of a sequel anyway. FFXIII itself wasn't anything spectacular at all and my interest in the story had vanished even by the final chapter. I wouldn't want to see a sequel. Any gaps in the story as I have said before, can be filled in another way. Write a sequel novel even. Move on from FFXIII, focus on something else.

Agrees a sequel isn't needed.
I do feel they should have had downloadable content.Since they ditched that they should forget the whole thing.
I do expect Wada to push for a remake of FFVII, simply because I feel it could make more money and alot of people would buy it.Although I am not in favor of a remake I expect one to show up down the pike.

As for Versus I do intend to buy it when it comes out.

I personally want a sequel to happen...........there are kinda a lot of things in FFXIII that are not answered. Plusin a world like Gran Pulse hey why not?

If it has towns and cities in Gran Pulse wouldn't it look like a traditional FF game?

Even if they are saying there could be a sequel...........like they've said they need a big demand.In other words it's up to use whether we want it or not............So I really think it won't happen since it's up to us,seeing as though so many people hated it..........Most were FF fans who can't accept the series changes :hmph:

as for the moment No I don't see a possible sequel I would really like it and buy it if they made it but because SOME people hated it I guess it ruins it for me :sad3:

However I think they just should concentrate on FFXIII versus and agito now. if they are thinking about future well I wonder what FF15 would be like :hmmm:

P.S I think the seventh ark place may have been just an area with extremely strong monsters,nothing significant.

I always thought that a sequel was obvious- clearing the planet of Pulse and establishing different cities maybe in locals used perviously by Pulsians. Maybe bring back some towns and NPCs etc.

It will be tough with 2 characters en-crystallized (sp?), or maybe the sequal will be years down the line?

Either way I want more FF so sequel or new game its ok with me.

Well I don't know how many people have looked at or compared the number of copies of XIII sold, but it seems pretty good. The number of copies sold seems to be somewhere along the line of X or XII.

A prequel would be far, far better. Imo, if a sequel is made [I hope not] then if wholesale changes are made such as the battle system, maps, towns etc then you just know it's a way of Square-Enix to try and rectify what was, a horrible game. A sequel should at least keep the basics of the original title. But if they don't change anything, people moan. Just let the game die.

Well I don't know how many people have looked at or compared the number of copies of XIII sold, but it seems pretty good. The number of copies sold seems to be somewhere along the line of X or XII.

thats only because the game was sold for both PS3 and XBOX 360.......both systems are popular and it's not like how the consoles were like ages ago.

For example,I don't think the PS2 and PS1 had any big rival...........sure they were some rivals like the original xbox or Gamecube.........But the PS2 and PS1 were the best console of its time........

The same can't be said for the PS3 and 360.........Both are popular......

and anyway the sequel depends on the demand and the demand depends on whether the people liked the game.........even though I loved it most didn't :sad3:

Just let the game die? thats bit harsh Mits.
I have expressed my opinion on this game many times on FFF, about how the changes in FFXIII were not in the series best interest, but dont S-E deserve a second chance?

FFXIII was graphically rich and the Characters were just given a story lacking significant depth and substance,the battle system is what needs tweaking. I think the possibility of a sequel is high.

With Fang & Vanille gone it makes room for new character development, and l think the struggles of Cocoons now "orphaned" populace would make a great story...........say 2 years after after the fal'cie were toppled the new civilization of pulse were threatened by........A really bad pulse fal'cie, DIABLOS long hidden away come to bring torment and pain to Pulse or something?

Come to think of it, a significant villain character might be what this game needs to turn around. Someone along the lines of a Seymour-type character. About the most intrigue I got out of XIII's villain was seeing him portray Serah.

FFXIII was graphically rich and the Characters were just given a story lacking significant depth and substance,the battle system is what needs tweaking. I think the possibility of a sequel is high.
Which was pretty much the same problem as FFXII, apart from that actually hardly had a storyline or character development. Square-Enix, have pretty much said themselves the game was a let down, and ever Wada recognised the fans didn't like it. There's no point dwelling on previous, failed attempts. Just move on and learn from the mistakes.

Thats the real problem though is'nt it they only get so many chances at these games and thats 2 in a row that have not been well received, they have no time to rectify things apparently anyway.

If there is to be a sequel it should be out sourced to different firm with S-E holding the rains, fresh mind/fresh ideas and all that?

Not sure if the sequel should happen, to be perfectly honest. Just look at what it did for FFX. Thanks to FFX2, the sequel sort of ran the fun of ffx for some people, at least of what i know. But if they can have the time between KH, Versus, and Agito, then I say why the hell not.

Thats the real problem though is'nt it they only get so many chances at these games and thats 2 in a row that have not been well received, they have no time to rectify things apparently anyway.

If there is to be a sequel it should be out sourced to different firm with S-E holding the rains, fresh mind/fresh ideas and all that?
How exactly would that help, though? What can another (talented) developer do for the games that the current isn't?

Probably a lot, every developer works differently. You see, with Square-Enix, they've arguably failed to deliver an AAA Final Fantasy title for over a decade. Other developers can consistently deliver year in, year out - Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Bioware, Bethesda, Rockstar et al.

The difference between them and Square-Enix is that they take what's good about previous titles, keep the basics and improve the flaws which makes each game better each time, Square-Enix have started making massive wholesale changes to games that they're not used to and it backfires.

I don't think a sequel is necessary. Let's face it, the ending of the game was awfully climactic. I was one of the people who actually loved the game, and they'll kill it utterly by making some half assed sequel. Focus on Agito, Versus and XV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back