Final Fantasy XIII PS3 sees double the sales of 360 [4/16]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
FF13-Doubles-PS3-Sales.jpg

Over a month after Final Fantasy XIII’s release has passed and the sales numbers have finally made their way in. In the first month of sales, Final Fantasy XIII managed to sell more than 1.3 million units in the United States alone – the majority being on PlayStation 3.

According to an early report from SCEA, the PlayStation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIII “sold nearly double the Xbox version.” That’s 828,200 copies sold on PlayStation 3 and 494,300 sold on Xbox 360.

For comparison’s sake, Final Fantasy XII sold 896,000 when it launched for PS2 in the United States in 2006.

Source: ScrawlFX

That's a bit exaggerated, the 360 are 60% as much as the ps3 sales. And 37% in the sales overall, I don't really consider that half the amount.

Its definitely good to see XII doing so well though :D

I think we all expected for there to be more sales for the PS3 than the Xbox 360 anyway. When it comes to the Final Fantasy name and JRPGs in general, the PS3 has the far greater install base for them. Plus, if visuals are to play a part, many probably considered the PS3 version over the Xbox 360 one because of that.

No surprises there. RPGs sell far better on the PS3. I wouldn't have expected sales to have been all that great in the first place, anyway. Not with the news of the graphics being crappier and others tending to remain loyal to its normal format.

No surprises there. RPGs sell far better on the PS3. I wouldn't have expected sales to have been all that great in the first place, anyway. Not with the news of the graphics being crappier and others tending to remain loyal to its normal format.

No they don't. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age Origins all sold better on the Xbox 360. I suppose you could make the case that JRPGs sell better on the PS3, but apart from Final Fantasy XIII, there really aren't that many big titles to support that claim.

Anyway still quite good sales for the Xbox 360 version of the game in spite of all its short comings. Definitely good enough to warrant more multiplatform FFs in the future :)

It would depend how much profit or loss they make as to whether future titles are multiplatform, although the amount of money Micro$oft paid for it to become a multiplatform game will probably cover that. Considering the hype the game got and the amount of advertising I wouldn't say the sales were a "big" success at all.

I even have my doubts that Final Fantasy XIII was the fastest selling in the series and that it's just some crap SE have made up especially given that the PS3 or the 360 have sold next to nothing compared to PS2 sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back