Final Fantasy XIII Falls Off The April NPD [5/15]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Selling over a 1.3 million units in its release month of March, Final Fantasy XIII is no where to be seen in the April 2010 NPD charts. Ubisoft’s Splinter Cell: Conviction took the top spot, moving 486.1K units.

Odd, we know. I’d assume a Final Fantasy title can move a few hundred thousand in the months after they release. According to this, Final Fantasy XIII hasn’t even managed over a hundred thousand in April.

Here’s the April breakdown:
1. Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction (360) – 486.1K
2. Pokemon SoulSilver Version (DS) – 242.9K
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) – 200.3K
4. Pokemon HeartGold Version (DS) – 192.6K
5. God of War III (PS3) – 180.3K
6. Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii Motion Plus (Wii)
7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360)
8. Wii Fit Plus w/ Wii Balance Board (Wii)
9. Just Dance (Wii)
10. Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
11. Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
12. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City (PS3)
13. New Super Mario Bros.
14. Super Street Fighter IV (360) – 108.0K
15. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3) – <100K
16. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
17. MLB 10: The Show
18. Mario Kart w/ Weel (Wii)
19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
20. Major League Baseball 2K10 (360)

Source: ScrawlFX

That is ODD.

I've expected FFXIII to top the charts.

Though, I guess FFXIII moment was in March, where it made it's debut.

Too much controversy around FFXIII for it to do as well as its predecessors as time goes on, I suppose. I've seen the special edition in the shops, brand new, for £35...

There are a lot of other high-profile games coming out now, as well. March was FFXIII's month (well, to me March was Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver's month, but there we are, FFXIII had about two weeks being my number 1 priority game), now it'll probably sell less and less as time goes by. I can't say I'm too surprised...

Hmm....I'd have expected FFXIII to at least show up somewhere in the top 20. Still, it probably wasn't hard to conclude that with all the negative scrutiny of the game prior to its release (and there were a lot of big-names coming out at the similar time as well), this was going to have some impact in the sales.

But still, March really wasn't that long ago especially during the time this chart was composed. It is a little odd how the game seems to have vanished from existence.

People probably realised that its not worthy enough to buy full-price, I am one of them.
I will buy the game myself when its on a discount.. Perhaps the game pretty much dissapointed the hard-core rpg fans. Hardcore FF fans still buy the game but that was more becuz of the hype. I dont expect to see increasing sales,

I hope this wakes up the CEO's etc. from SE. Wake up call to do better and differently on VERSUS.

I'm not surprised, I could see the sales being poor. It was poorly received by fans and reviewers alike. Plus, all you have to do it look at the sales of previous SE titles to say that it was going to sell overly well on the 360, and it didn't. SE were delusional to think it would sell amazingly well.

Knew THAT would happen.

It's an RPG...it can't stay on the charts for THAT long.

I'm not surprised, I could see the sales being poor. It was poorly received by fans and reviewers alike. Plus, all you have to do it look at the sales of previous SE titles to say that it was going to sell overly well on the 360, and it didn't. SE were delusional to think it would sell amazingly well.

I'm going to have to agree with ya on this Ryan.

With the reviews that came out before hand, it's not a surprise that not as many people got it. Some do listen to the reviews even though, I personally like to test it out myself.

And like Olivia said, there was other titles coming out around that time as well which probably affected the sales.

Last edited:
I think this is all because of stupid haters. It was unique and Se wanted it more challenging so if your character died you would lose. But they gave other things in the game to help you like paradigms which was really unique. Of course the characters go over 30000 hp hen you are overpowered so yeah in a way people found it easy. Se made it challenging but easy when you decide to do the crystarium.

IMO it's not worthy of being on those charts, so, I'm not exactly surprised by this. Sure, lots of people were excited, but there were also a lot of people who weren't.

To be fair it sold ridiculously fast in the first place, wasn't it the fastest selling? (please tell me, I might be dreaming that up XD).

JRPG's don't usually do well after the first month anyway, most people who are interested in a JRPG will buy it around the time that it comes out. JRPG's don't appeal to a huge audience, only a specific one, so everyone has already bought it basically.

Sorry, what does NPD stand for? :huh:

And lol, how do I reply without bashing bashers?

For FFXIII being a low seller post-release, that doesn't surprise me. The people who really wanted it already got it (even wanted it badly enough to import back from Japan), and people who were waiting for the price drop are having doubts because of all the reviews.

I mean, I get it - unless majority of reviews rave about how awesome a game is, people who take reviews into account aren't gonna just swoop up on a game. Although I still think there's too much bashing on FFXIII, but that's just me, and apparently a rarity - some who liked FFXIII xD

Yeah, could defiantly see that coming. BTW haven't they run out of colors for pokemon yet.

This goes to show how the game industry's market trend is changing. Being a fan of this franchise, I was pretty shocked to hear SE's announcement (about a month ago I think) that they would no longer make RPG's using this type of game design formula.

IMO
~ SE has been keeping an eye on which games in the last few years have been reaping better profits. And I think that they're slowly shifting their design objectives accordingly. Case in point ~ FF XIV will be another MMO - which SE proudly boasts will go head to head with WoW.

By the way, this NPD accounts North American Sales only right?

Last edited:
I find it funny that a game that's been out for almost half a year (call of Duty modern Warfare 2), would be a head of it. FFXIII just hit it's 2 month mark, so I was figuring people who didn't have the cash to get it on release in March, would dish out for it in April...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back