Final Fantasy VII Remake. Episodic? Good or Bad?

Just as long as each episode isn't 'short' I'll be good.

I'm curious... what if you don't purchase one episode of the game? How do you complete the rest?

Like, if you purchase episode 1, 2, 3, and then skip to 10??

Don't buy the crap. This is the Worst of the Best situation, with emphasis on the Worst. No one foresaw this, and no one actually wants this for FF7. It doesn't matter how long or short the episodes is, by the end of the day, we'll still be waiting for the next episode.

They want to re-invent FF7 into a series itself, not a single entity. and although there were times when even i thought this game was too long, i never beleived that the game should be split up into individual games. Especially when everything fits so close together. With FF7 Remake, their literally throwing it all out. SUre, they'll re-use the story, but there will be a large percentage of new, and buffering. And thats the worst thing possible for any game. Making large buffers just to stretch out a game.

Don't buy the crap. This is the Worst of the Best situation, with emphasis on the Worst.

They want to re-invent FF7 into a series itself, not a single entity. and although there were times when even i thought this game was too long, i never beleived that the game should be split up into individual games.

It wont be individual games. Its the same game along the lines of Telltales episodic games and the resident evil title that was episodic. It's just released in parts.

On first impression I thought this could only be negative but on second thoughts I think it might not be all that bad. We'd obviously like it to be released all at once but ; firstly there are issues with space - not sure I believe that but hey, you have to trust Devs sometimes. It means we probably get the game earlier than we would have which is good, right?

Is the episodic way of going about the game the preferred way? Not at all. I'd love it to be released as a solid game. I'll still buy it though and play it because I love VII and that fighting system looks amazing. :jess:

I can live off Final Fantasy. I think at this point I'm not a slave to FF when it comes to my wallet.They can remake FF8 or 9 and I won't feel a thing. I know Square Enix will do something completely controversial.

And it's not because I hate Square Enix, but I don't see their games as ambitious as they once were. I don't see unique IPs with lots of goals. I see Square Enix banking on the same formula and even ripping off formula off other well known series.

So with that said, I am not happy with how FF7 is turning out. And it's more than just preferring to have a complete package. I can wait for the complete release. But I don't want the game to control how I experience it. And that's what really grinds me about this. I don't want to feel like i'm being dragged on until i finally get to the good parts.

After the game is finally finished and there's a complete edition, what's stopping me from finding serious pacing flaws with the story? If it's designed episodic it'll be harder to appreciate as a whole. I learned that the hard way.

Maybe they are trying to cut the game into 3 parts like the original which it had 3 cds. The question is, how long will each episode will be?

Based on a recent post by the company, SE is looking at the FFXIII-trilogy as a model on how to handle the remake. Ungh... Why does every new announcement about this project make me more worried?

Based on a recent post by the company, SE is looking at the FFXIII-trilogy as a model on how to handle the remake. Ungh... Why does every new announcement about this project make me more worried?
The original game is 3 discs, so I don't see the issue with a 3 part single game as of today. Keep in mind, standards have changed greatly since then, and it takes a lot longer to create a high quality title versus 1997.

If they're going to do 3 discs for the remake then why the hell not put them all as one release? This is such bullshit.

If each disc is going to be 30 hours... is that longer or shorter than the original game's running time per disc? I haven't played in almost 15 years. :hmmm:

If they're going to do 3 discs for the remake then why the hell not put them all as one release? This is such bullshit.

If each disc is going to be 30 hours... is that longer or shorter than the original game's running time per disc? I haven't played in almost 15 years. :hmmm:
If the game was released all at once out the gate, it would make less money. While a lot of people who played the original FFVII wouldn't mind forking over 180 USD, the price tag would put off a lot of people that don't know about FFVII, or never got into it. History has shown that the price tag matters. For example, despite the PS3 at launch being a technology beast for its time, the 600 USD price tag caused sales to suffer for years until it was reduced. The price between the Xbox One and the PS4 originally helped create a larger gap in sales between the systems. This isn't to say that it won't all get released in a single package later on in time. The story for the most part is going to be the same. Should changes be expected as in things being added, things being taken away, and things being altered? Of course. This isn't going to be a 1:1 of the original game even when you exclude the graphical update, battle system, and voice acting.

I'm on the "wait and see" kind of way. They claim that each part will be a game, but I don't know if I would wanna pay $60 for each game. I wouldn't mind $20-$30 but $60 for each part would be a bit too high for my taste.

In the end I will get it, it just depends on initial pricing and how long each episode really is.

The problem is I don't want to spend 150 hours just for the main story, side story, and side questing/goofing around. Most games are 40 just by story and some games just have that much longevity just by story. But let's also look at the side content.

Final fantasy VII was a great game. But we're talking about making Midgar natural size, making the worlds, and let's also look at Junon and more that will also need a face lift.

They want to make ffvii multi game, not multi disc. There's a difference. Cyber Connect you had a USB carry over history but it wasn't perfect. That design no game does anymore.

Even if they release all 3 games together, they'll have to rework it. It won't be the same. And Se will have to look into supporting the ones who purchased all three individual games because those who waited get the single package completely.

Unless, SE sells installation discs rather than actual games (meaning you would have to buy them in order to play).

Well they've come out today and said each 'instalment' is 'full game sized' (aka the size of a title like XIII). I think that ends the debate. More content can only be good, right? Im sure someone will disagree but hey. Sounds a good thing to me

Well they've come out today and said each 'instalment' is 'full game sized' (aka the size of a title like XIII). I think that ends the debate. More content can only be good, right? Im sure someone will disagree but hey. Sounds a good thing to me

i completely agree with you, yeah they could have 3/4 episodes charged at full price but if they are adding a lot and really giving you a much bigger experience I don't care if it's split. I would rather not go through what we have for FFXV again.

I think the thing that concerns me is the whole changing of things that are not culturally acceptable now. There are aspects of the game that will change. I just hope it is minor things. Yes a lot of dialogue will be cut but to be honest they could cut some exposition out easily. They tend to info dump too much.

Either way I am excited for any new details and most of all this will conjuer up new fans along with FFXV.

Well, we STILL don't have an answer to what that extra content is going to be. Because I don't see how they can add 60+ percent more story to FFVII to justify a trilogy(it's obviously gonna be one). Unless that new content is just some pontless fetch quests to pad a 50 hour story to 3 installments. I don't want the remake to be another soulless open world game without anything meaningfull to do. What made FFVII so great was the story and characters, NOT gameplay.

Also whenever someone believes that Midgar alone would be part 1 and that they would be fine with it, I get physically ill. How would you expand a sub 10 hour bit of story to 50+? There is nothing that you could expand story wise in Midgar, and why would you want to explore the other sectors? There would be nothing to do and no narrative, and all the slums look the same anyway.

Well, we STILL don't have an answer to what that extra content is going to be. Because I don't see how they can add 60+ percent more story to FFVII to justify a trilogy(it's obviously gonna be one).

I dunno, Im not sure I agree there. So between Midgar and Junon theres like what, 1 actual town and 1 burnt to shit one and a rebel base? I find that hard to believe when crossing a continent. I would like to see the world a bit more fleshed out - see the world how the designers envisioned before technical limitations stopped them.

I dunno, Im not sure I agree there. So between Midgar and Junon theres like what, 1 actual town and 1 burnt to shit one and a rebel base? I find that hard to believe when crossing a continent. I would like to see the world a bit more fleshed out - see the world how the designers envisioned before technical limitations stopped them.

Well it's mostly my own RPG standards I weight my worries against. Like I said, I just don't see a few extra small towns that have nothing to do with the plot jutifying a trilogy and 180+ dollar pricing you know? I mean, will Sephiroth, the main villain, even have an appearence in the first part? There is just too many ways SE can screw this up for me to not worry. I truthfully wish I could be as open minded about this project as you, because I feel like my hair is getting grey over this damn remake.

Back