Final Fantasy VII, Black Label and Sealed - What is it worth!?

Myril123

Gil
Hey guys, I have a completely sealed edition of Final Fantasy VII, the USA black label (not the greatest hits or misprint edition), and I'm wondering how much it's worth?

The reason I have such a copy is that back in the day, my dad bought Final Fantasy VII when it first came out - bought it the same day as he got the PS1 - and he just never opened it. I was a little kid at the time, and we really focused on playing Frogger together... I think it was the fact that FFVII was rated 'teen' that made him want to hold off on playing it in front of me.

Anyway, as time passed, I started getting into RPG's, and my first one was Chrono Trigger on the SNES. And if Chrono Trigger is your first RPG, then even the Final Fantasy's seem ridiculous in comparison. I tried playing Final Fanasty III (6) for the SNES and in my mind, the Fantasy's were such a tier lower than Chrono Trigger that I had no interest in the series whatsoever. Didn't take two looks at the 4-year-old, sealed copy of FFVII sitting in the drawer.

Finally, around 2010, a friend absolutely begged me to play Final Fantasy X, and it continues to be the only RPG out there that has blown me away like Chrono Trigger did. (Oh, and PS1's Lunar). So I thought, heck, I'll play Final Fantasy III (6), I'll play Final Fantasy VII too. Ended up loving III (6), but because VII had been sitting for so long, brand new, I decided to just borrow a used copy from someone else. As fate would have it, I really honestly did not like VII.

BUT, regardless, I still have the same old sealed copy, and it's what, 18 years old now? That's a long time. And I know that the black label version is the one collector's want. I just don't know how much it's worth. I believe it even has the silver seal strip on it, last time I checked. It's certainly not shrink-wrapped or anything.

I'm not trying to sell it and I'm going to keep it until it just reaches a ridiculous price, but what's it worth around now? I'm seeing that $300 is probably about right.

(I still have the box and fold-out maps from SNES's Chrono Trigger too! I wouldn't dare sell those though... I'm holding onto my Chrono Trigger mess until 2023 AD! Lol.)

I wouldn't like to guess. To the right collector i'd guess $300 you mentioned or more potentially. Ebay; who knows?

I wouldn't get your hopes up. There are a hell of a lot of copies out there. We've got 2 of the original black label in our house.
The value tends to be a function of how rare they are combined with how well regarded the game is. That's why games like Xenoblade Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia: Legends are worth so much (Xenoblade will probably drop significantly in value next month). There are also no official ways to play those games except for their original releases.
Whereas FF7 is possibly the best-selling JRPG of all time, if you ignore Pokemon, nearly everyone has played it at this point. It's also available digitally on a whole host of platforms for a tiny cost.

Back