Final Fantasy VI Technical Demo

AmethystRoses

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I am not sure if anyone else has seen the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKjZS7Wo7Q

Back in the day, Square decided to make a technical demo for the N64, kind of like the technical demo for VIII for the PS2, and VII for the PS3. Anyway, it was made for the 64 because at the time they planned on releaseing VII FOR the 64... but discs were cheaper to make than cartridges.

Anyway, everything looks better textured and rendered on the 64 technical demo than the actual VII tuned out. Do you think that VII could have looked better ON the 64, as evidenced by the demo made?

Last edited:
Well of course it would have looked better on the N64 had Nintendo not made a bone head decision and chose to use CDs...the N64 was more powerful than the ps1...now had Square chosen to stay with Nintendo despite the cartridges, I think it wouldnt look any better if not a little worse because they would have to cut a lot of things to fit it into the limited cartridge space. They may have even realased different parts selling part 1 and then part 2 months later on a seperate cardtridge...I dunno

Well of course it would have looked better on the N64 had Nintendo not made a bone head decision and chose to use CDs...the N64 was more powerful than the ps1...now had Square chosen to stay with Nintendo despite the cartridges, I think it wouldnt look any better if not a little worse because they would have to cut a lot of things to fit it into the limited cartridge space. They may have even realased different parts selling part 1 and then part 2 months later on a seperate cardtridge...I dunno

There would have been something like nine or so parts... Regardless of the 3D model rendition being different.

Why would they test it on Nintendo 64? So If they would have put this on Nintendo 64 it would look pretty bad am glad they chose playstation. I Want this to be remade on psp or ps3. What would final fantasy be like on the n64?

Why would they test it on Nintendo 64? So If they would have put this on Nintendo 64 it would look pretty bad am glad they chose playstation. I Want this to be remade on psp or ps3. What would final fantasy be like on the n64?
B/c they had worked with nintendo and expected nintendo to use CD's but then went sony after it was announced nintendo would be using cartridges...the n64 was more powerful, but was limited b/c of cartridges.

Oh alright thanks. I can not really imagine Final Fantasy VI as a cartridge. But what if All Final Fantasys were cartridges would it be like less popular. I am glad they chose sony though.

That was a very interesting video but im glad it didnt appear on n64 me being a ps fan and using cartidges they should of just released it on playstation.

The main reason for Square to insist on using CD was because of the FMV's. FFVII couldn't fit on just one cart so would have to had spanned multiple carts which of course would have been ridiculously expensive. Nintendo were going to go down the CD route but in the end stuck with cart format (carts load alot quicker than CD) so Square, not wanting to cut the seventh Final Fantasy down (even though they did a little in the end anyways) jumped ship to Sony and their CD console Playstation.

The FFVI tech demo was made to show how character renders may have looked like on the N64 very early on in VII's developement stages.

Good grief, that looks better than some of the cutscenes in VII...and a little bit like Zelda. :wacky: I might've felt more inclined to finish the game if every battle looked like that.

Here is a thought...

If the development were to proceed for the 64, and VII VIII and IX were released for it, do you think that the Nintendo loyalty would proceed into the Gamecube, and thus, the Wii.

The thing is, the games would have NEVER looked as good graphically on the Gamecube/Wii as they did/will on the PS2/PS3.

Here is a thought...

If the development were to proceed for the 64, and VII VIII and IX were released for it, do you think that the Nintendo loyalty would proceed into the Gamecube, and thus, the Wii.

The thing is, the games would have NEVER looked as good graphically on the Gamecube/Wii as they did/will on the PS2/PS3.
Yeah it would have continued...but really, the GC had more graphical power than the ps2 and could have had better looking games with the GC than compared to the PS2...and of course the Wii has more graphical power than the ps2 (but not the ps3)...but I could see square bolting to sony/mircosoft after the gc when they found out that the Wii would not be an HD system.

Back