Final Fantasy Versus XIII set for TGS 2010, new details revealed [6/23]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Versus-XIII-Confirmed-TGS.jpg

Holy crap on a f**king sandwich. The latest issue of Famitsu has confirmed during a new interview with director Tetsuya Nomura that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is set for the Tokyo Game Show this year. New details also announced:

Game Jouhou has updated with a few additional Versus XIII details from either Famitsu or Dengeki. Apparently, the included screens show a massive wilderness scene. Also included is a battle scene that's set in a city modeled after Shinjuku, and a scene showing a gasoline stand.

Says Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."

Also from the Nomura interview:
  • The game's cloud effects use real physics calculations
  • The world is an open field, and you can go everywhere except for the mountains
  • The battles are seamless
  • The game's encounter system is both random and symbol-based (meaning you can see enemies in advance). Hmm... what could this mean?
  • The game's world is mostly seamless, although there are some load points when you switch between the massive areas.
  • You can destroy objects that you find on the road.
  • The quality of the combat scenes is so high that people will not be able to believe it when they first see it.
  • The staff is excited about making the game.
Nomura also confirms that the screens in the magazine are all realtime, captured off the PlayStation 3. Of course, this won't mean much until we can actually see the screens...

Source: Andriasang

Wow this is really really awesome. FINALLY SOME NEW INFO. This just got me excited and they are actually happy making the game :awesome: and I wont believe my eyes in the battle scenes? :gasp:

Wait, set for TGS.. Do they mean set for a demo, or set to release? :gasp: Either way this is flippin' fantastic. It's been months since we've heard anything about this.

As far as I know, TGS is in mid September, so about 3 months from now :hmmm:

Oh well, guess all that's left to do is speculate on the info that's been divulged :monster:

But it's nice to hear staff are pumped for game development ^^

a massive wilderness scene. Also included is a battle scene that's set in a city modeled after Shinjuku, and a scene showing a gasoline stand.
Massive Wilderness? YAY! City? YAY! Gasoline Stand? lolwut?

Says Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."
Is that a dare Mr. Nomura?
The game's cloud effects use real physics calculations
Realism! FTW!
The world is an open field, and you can go everywhere except for the mountains
No water?
The battles are seamless
(inner hype builds)
The game's encounter system is both random and symbol-based (meaning you can see enemies in advance). Hmm... what could this mean?
Maybe where the enemies are located is random but you can see them? If so then that is a truly great feature! Something I was hoping for in XIII.
The game's world is mostly seamless, although there are some load points when you switch between the massive areas.
Like certain areas that you get to go into with more detail? Like a section of a forest or such? AWESOME
You can destroy objects that you find on the road.
Who needs to know what happens next? I GOTS A BOX TO SMASH! :gasp:
The quality of the combat scenes is so high that people will not be able to believe it when they first see it.
Combat scenes, not gameplay combat scenes? So like fight scenes? Something as epic as, per say imo, Genesis/Angeal/Sephiroth or the teaser trailer for Versus? YAY! But don't forget about the emotional and moving scenes!
Nomura also confirms that the screens in the magazine are all realtime, captured off the PlayStation 3.
This implies that everything has come together into something playable and that they are fixing up everything and adding a few extra things. Well, to me it does. I am now expecting a early 2011 release for Japan, like January. I also predict a very nice trailer revealed at TGS.

OMG SO DAMN EXITED :D

I expected it to be at TGS 2010. Nomura has no excuse this time (and I still wish it could have made an appearance in E3, but still....).

But the descriptions sound a bit too good to be true, especially the bullet point going on about an open world. I'd love it to be true, but I'm staying a bit sceptical until I see it for myself.

I do have faith in Nomura's team though. Who knows, with FFXIII actually lowering the bar in terms of expectations, Versus could actually turn out to be spectacular to me. Time will tell.

KHInsider has the scans!
http://forums.khinsider.com/spin-of...n-revealed-dengeki-famitsu-3.html#post5119025
Fairly low quality scans but that monster in scans 3 and 4 looks down right EPIC I can't wait to see more monster designs!
They also have some information which doesn't appear to be in this thread yet.
Someone feel free to go through and copy and paste stuff. I cannot be bothered, I am doing like 20 things at once lol

Last edited:
Andriasang has a compiled report, too. :awesome:

Joining a lengthy interview on Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, this week's Famitsu has a significantly shorter interview with Tetsuya Nomura on Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
Most of the discussion focused on three new screenshots. It will be a bit tough to follow most of this summary without seeing the screens for yourself, but here are some textual descriptions.
  • 1. A scene of main character Noctis standing on a cliff, looking out over a vast field, with a highway directly below, a desert clearing in the distance, and mountains in the far distance. The caption for this notes that you can walk as far as you can see.
  • 2. A scene of Noctis standing in front of a gas station. In the caption for this scene, the magazine notes that one of the themes of the game is a "road movie."
  • 3. A scene of Noctis facing off against a giant creature in a city-like scene. The visuals here look extremely modern -- you can see crosswalks and even bike lanes marked off on the road below. It looks like an in-game version of Tokyo, except for the giant beast.
The screens are all taken off real hardware, Nomura said. The game currently runs at the quality shown in the screens, said Nomura, and they'll be improving the visuals even further. Not only are the screens real time, but they represent the perspective from which you'll play the game. The camera angle is for the most part what's shown in the screens -- from a third person view. They were originally considering switching to an overhead view when you moved into the outside world, but ended up keeping the the world as an open field in order to keep you close to the action.

Of course, actual screenshots will have menus and icons. According to Nomura, these bits were removed because they did not want to let details on the game out.

Nomura shared some details on a screen-by-screen basis. Regarding the gasoline and field screen, Famitsu noted that the game's sky color is finely detailed. Nomura said first that they're using true physics calculations for the movement of the clouds. He also noted that it took the staff a while to determine the visual direction they would take with the game. They could do all sorts of different visual styles by changing such things as filters and sunlight color.

Regarding the field screenshot, Nomura said that the field is an "open field," meaning you can walk through "nearly everything" shown in the field screenshot except for the mountains. He also said, "If you want to go to the end, it's truly far."

Regarding the city scene with the beast, Nomura pointed out that the beast is a military-use behemoth. It has a giant sword on its back. The city scene is actually a battle screen. Normally, it would have a command menu and other information.

The menus and prompts aren't all that's missing, though. Noctis is shown fighting the behemoth by himself. In the actual game, you'll fight as part of a party. The reason the party members aren't shown in the screen is because Square Enix has yet to officially reveal the weapons and clothing for these characters.

Famitsu noted of the battle scene, the "Shinjuku cityscape is real." The model for the area, said Nomura, is the surroundings of Square Enix's Shinjuku office, right down to the bicycle markings on the street.

The three areas shown in the screenshots are all connected. The screen with the field and the screen with the gasoline stand are from the same location. The field extends out from the rear of the gas stand. These two areas are located immediately outside the city depicted in the battle screenshot.

It all looks like a pretty large area for what appears to be the game's prologue location, Famitsu noted. No need to worry, though, as Nomura revealed that you'll have access to a car. You can board and disembark your car whenever you like. Take your car out into the field area, and you'll eventually approach the submerged area that was shown in past promotional trailers.

It looks like you'll encounter monsters out on the field. Some will be roaming about, with Nomura citing an example of a behemoth walking around on a hill in the distance. In other instances, monsters will appear quickly.

In this week's "Flying get" column, there was a bullet point about the game featuring both symbol and random encounters. I presume this is where these points come from. Nomura did not specially mention symbol and random encounters, though, so it may be a bit too hasty to picture an RPG-like system. Asked if the field and battles will be seamless, meaning no loading or screen transitions, Nomura said that the battles will be for the most part seamless. When you move between large areas, and when there are event cut-ins, there may be some loading, although the staff is trying to make the game as seamless as possible.

The magazine closed off by asking Nomura when we can expect additional Versus XIII details. This is still a ways off, he said, but he added "We're making preparations for a big announcement."

Source: Andriasang

Oh wow, I've just taken a glimpse at the screenshot scans of Versus and I must say, it has got me uncontrollably excited. Take the first screenshot of Noctis on a cliffedge - I am loving the idea of being able to run around all that space. Style-wise, it really does not look like a Final Fantasy game at all.

However, I can't help but feel this is SE just saying to us: "Look! Open world, we've gone western! Do you love us now?". While I have no real objections to this (because it's already looking and sounding great compared to FFXIII), I can see this trend turning SE's future games into imitations of western games in the future rather than unique games of their own.

OMFG the scans just got me so into this. Versus without a doubt wonr be any dissapointment. Its great to see this finally. Im really excited now.

sweet SHINJUKU is Japan's ghetto suburb , oh man Ican already taste the atmosphere of this game.....

wait where are these scans everyone is talking about?

edit.. ohhh.
KHInsider has the scans!
http://forums.khinsider.com/spin-of...n-revealed-dengeki-famitsu-3.html#post5119025
Fairly low quality scans but that monster in scans 3 and 4 looks down right EPIC I can't wait to see more monster designs!
They also have some information which doesn't appear to be in this thread yet.
Someone feel free to go through and copy and paste stuff. I cannot be bothered, I am doing like 20 things at once lol
editx2. looks pretty good. hopefully some HQ soon.

ty for giving that quote Sullivan, Icouldnt find the link either xD
Final (ly) Reality.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Especially after the excuses made by the FFXIII directors.
We need cities, town and villages you can visit and npcs you can interact with.

We need decent minigames, a world map and we hope an airship.
We need chocobos and moogles cactaurs and other signature creatures and people from FF.
We need a good Cid.
I don't like the bad ones we've been stuck with recently.

and most likely we will see more videos and screenshots at the TGS.Certainly not the finished game.
I think that will be at least another year away.

Looks amazing so far. Definitely better graphics than FFXIII. Im kinda getting an FF8 feel from the way it's being described such as the modern day elements. Which is a plus for me since FF8 is my favorite.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Especially after the excuses made by the FFXIII directors.
We need cities, town and villages you can visit and npcs you can interact with.

We need decent minigames, a world map and we hope an airship.
We need chocobos and moogles cactaurs and other signature creatures and people from FF.
We need a good Cid.
I don't like the bad ones we've been stuck with recently.

and most likely we will see more videos and screenshots at the TGS.Certainly not the finished game.
I think that will be at least another year away.
I think the problem with FFXIII is that the directors made comments about the game that they failed to deliver upon release. At least with Nomura he's not particular saying the game itself will be "amazing" more just what's going to be in the game, which he has complete control of. :hmmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back