Final Fantasy Versus XIII Now Undergoing Voice Casting [9/8]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
Square Enix's The 3rd Birthday Twitter is about more than just The 3rd Birthday. Tetsuya Nomura has said that he'll be providing a few updates on his other projects, and he did just that earlier today for Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

Regarding Versus, he said, "Versus has had many difficulties, and past method of production have been completely inapplicable, but these are the difficulties of birth, so we are working hard. We have a lot to announce, but because we're going in order, I can't say too much yet."

This talk about "order" is in reference to Square Enix's policy of promoting games in the order of their release. Nomura himself first mentioned this policy in a pre-TGS interview last year. (Of course, in that interview, Nomura suggested that Versus might not be at TGS, which ended up not being true -- Square Enix showed test gameplay footage in a closed theater.)

Continuing on Versus, Nomura added, "There have been many questions regarding fields. It's not a completely open world. It's like the 2D FF games in HD. Although, in terms of looks, it's not a top-down view, it's like the screenshots that have been released. You'll move through the world from that view."

The screenshots Nomura is referring to were first shared in Dengeki PlayStation and Famitsu in late June. They depict the action from a third person view, behind-the-back of main character Noctis.

While the screens have yet to be officially shared online, Nomura discussed the screens in great depth in interviews in the two magazines. You can read a summary here.

Nomura also touched briefly upon development progress for both Agito and Versus. "Agito and Versus have different production styles and progress states, but they're both presently undergoing voice casting. 3rd's recording will end shortly. Next up is Agito."

If you're wondering when you'll be getting your next glimpse of Versus and Agito, don't turn to Gamesom. In a later Tweet, Nomura said that, similar to E3, the two games will not be shown at the European gaming event. Square Enix will only be showing The 3rd Birthday and Kingdom Hearts.

Nomura isn't devoting his full time to Versus and Agito, of course. He also has all those Kingdom Hearts games in the works. He even has some unannounced games on the way. Regarding these, he Tweeted, "There are a number of unannounced titles. These will come before Agito and Versus. Some have finished voice recording. Announcements will take place in Japan."

Outside of these Versus and Agito-related announcements, Nomura and his fellow The 3rd Birthday VIPs have been providing periodic updates on the PSP Parasite Eve followup. For summaries of the full Twitter feed, see this story, which is being updated as additional Tweets are posted.

Source: Andriasang

I see they're approaching the very late stages of development then if they're initiating the voice-acting phase. Which is good. It shows that the development is getting somewhere after over 4 long years of the wilderness. I just hope that the cast they will come up with will be wholly decent.

Credit where credit is due, SE don't disappoint in terms of voice acting, especially in comparison to other JRPGs (and even animes). But hey, that's something at least. Just being thorough btw, they're planning a release for next year, right?

Either way though, I'm really wanting on Agito the most atm, but it looks like Versus will act as a good surrogate.

I just hope they get someone in decent, especially for Noctis. :sad3:

Anyone like Mark Meer, Quinton Flynn or Nolan North would do it for me. :monster:

I'm still kind of unclear about what he's saying about the field in Versus. Does he mean that instead of a cute lil' sprite running around the world, we'll see it as if we were the ones running around? :hmmm:

I'm pleased to hear that there's plenty of other stuff Nomura is working on. The unannounced titles have me quite curious.

If Alexander O smith handles the localization along with the voice-overs production, as he did with XII, then I'm sold.

EDIT: I forgot to make my post a little longer as to not piss off the mods. Let's see.. The translation and voice acting in XII was great, because Alexander O smith is a good translator, and he brought stage actors instead of shitty anime voice actors.

Last edited:
Gods, I hope they actually hire a DECENT voice cast this time. FFXIII was absolutely atrocious; it has some of the worst voice acting I've ever seen in a video game. I'm praying that they'll actually hire some people who are capable of showing more than one emotion and know which accent their character speaks in...something similar to FFXII would be awesome, just so long as the characters sound more like Balthier, Vayne and Ashe and less like Vaan.

I swear if someone's voice is as bad as Vannile's from XIII it would put me off the game for a while. Hopefully they can have a good voice for Noctis............and Stella,but nothing like Vannile's PLEASE!

If there is a real bad voice acting here I'd better buy myself some earplugs along with this game when it comes out.

Fortunately, I can say that I have much more faith in SE to provide the voices than other publishers I have seen. After hearing the atrocity that was Arc Rise Fantasia's voiceacting, I can't see Versus (and Agito) being worse than that. :dave:

So it'll be basically the same as 13's "world map" sytem?

13 never really had an actual "world map" anyway as a result of its sheer linearity.

The way I understand it, Versus's world map system is like the world maps of other Final Fantasy games from FFI to FFIX. But instead of a near bird's eye view of Noctis strolling around on the world map, there is a more realistic approach. The camera is angled behind Noctis, like a regular 3rd person video game perspective. And you just control him with that camera angle to navigate yourself around the world.

But wait for a future trailer to clear this up, because I may be interpreting it wrong as well, and explaining it in text isn't the easiest thing to do.

I dont quite understand the new world map thing. As for the voice acting please not johnny yong bosch for Noctis. Get someon realy good. And as said above Arc rise fantasia has really terrible voice acting but it isnt the worst out there. I actually see Versus having an awesome cast. Well that is just me ...

The way I understand it, Versus's world map system is like the world maps of other Final Fantasy games from FFI to FFIX. But instead of a near bird's eye view of Noctis strolling around on the world map, there is a more realistic approach. The camera is angled behind Noctis, like a regular 3rd person video game perspective. And you just control him with that camera angle to navigate yourself around the world.

But wait for a future trailer to clear this up, because I may be interpreting it wrong as well, and explaining it in text isn't the easiest thing to do.

Yes I got that idea as well, but the odd thing is ,how big will a certain dungeon/house be? same size as noctis? cuz if the places are bigger they could just have do it open world etc..

Let me get this straight..

FF13 VS world map is
- 3D pictograms of buildings/places/dungeons and cities
- Noctis running around there with 3rd person view
- Upon entering those places it goes hack and slash a la Rogue Galaxy..(i hope )

I get the feeling this sounds similar to the areas on FFVII/FFVIII where you run through an area and thes creen switches to a new screen and you run through that to the next area
but not in 3rd person perspective.

Fixed camera is a term that might help folks?

The new world map view sounds interesting, as you will only be able to see what is in front of you. I'd say it would be something like the underwater part in FF VII.
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back