Final Fantasy I Final Room

Shadowvail

Gil
I don't know if this has ever been noticed but I am looking at the final room in the Temple of Fiends (Revisited) and the sense of evil and all the pillars in the shape of a "Star" surround the room. Also the room is circular shaped.

My point is, the room is trying to represent a pentagram or an evil sign of something extremely, well.... EVIL.

BUT, to my knowledge they screwed up and instead of it being a pentagram, the star has an added side making it the Star of David....

Is this a mistake or is this intentional? Without getting into a religious debate I was just noticing the strangeness of this room.

Anyway if you don't remember what it looks like check out this link and let me know what you think....

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/522595-final-fantasy/faqs/49416

Scroll all the way to the bottom and check it out.
(Someone name x_loto created that map just for reference purposes)

This is interesting, I've never noticed the layout of the final room. However, I would not be surprised if this was intentional. Square is known for drawing on various religions to help craft the worlds they create.

I took this from the Final Fantasy Wiki, more religious information regarding the series can be found here, http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Religious_Allusions_in_Final_Fantasy.

In the original Japanese Famicom version, many of the
towns contained churches, know as 'Clinics' in the North American NES version due to Nintendo of America's policy on religious references. The churches have a cross on the steeples, and are run by priests that wear outfits similar to the Pope. Other religious references in the Japanese version is the addition of pentagrams in the Crystal Rooms of the Four Fiends, as well as crosses that lead up to Bahamut. The game's main antagonist, Chaos is based on The Devil/Satan from Abrahamic Religions.

You may also want to consider that the room is not the Star of David at all, but instead the Seal of Solomon (which looks extremely similar to the Star of David). In Medieval Jewish, Christian and Islamic legends, the Seal of Solomon was a magical signet ring said to have been possessed by King Solomon, which gave him the power to command demons, genies or speak with animals. I'd consider Chaos a demon.

I can't remember Garland's complete back story that came out with Dissidia (I think), but I'm sure if you wanted to dig deep enough you could connect Garland to some sort of religious figure, possibly Jewish, which could make the coincidental Star of David in the final room of Final Fantasy tied into his story.

Last edited:
Back