Build-A-Member
Mogrinch
FFXIV
Mitsuki Calei
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So I'm confused with this whole upgrading nonsense. I'm towards the end of Chapter 9 and the guide finally recommends about upgrading weapons...finally. The only problem is, it doesn't really explain in the game the purpose of each items in the Inventory.

So for instance, I want to upgrade Lightning's Gladius Lv. 1. I have close to a hundred items in that Inventory list and I guess I can just choose a few random ones that sounds uber cool and go from there...? What? Can someone please explain this whole process? =/ I feel like I'm missing something so simple here.

Like there's the "Silicone Oil" item which is "an arificially refined nonflammable lubricant suitable for clinical applications." Okay, kinky description and I'm loving it, but what does it do status-wise? How do I know that I should use that item versus ... oh let's say "Thrust Bearing". That sounds pretty hot too. :hmmm:

Also, is it a good idea to also use all the items all at once or should I divide the quantity amongst other items or what? Upgrading weapons in this game is quite complex and doesn't really make any sense to me.

Right, I know that. :) But my point is, out of all the items in the list, which are the best ones and how do I go about knowing this...? Because right now it seems like one major random choices and I can just blindly use any item that tickles my fancy.

Most importantly, is there some sort of strategy behind this? I don't wanna mess things up, so I'm gonna hold off on upgrading until someone thoroughly explains it.

Last edited:
The links I gave you earlier explain nearly everything there is to know about Upgrading weapons from what I've read of them.

This whole Upgrading thing has/had me perplexed too. It was like "wtf do I do and when?"

Anyway, hopefully the links will give you the information you need, Mitsie. If you're still confused, let me know and I'll let you know what I've found out about the whole process.

(Credit to Virgil/Atlas for providing said links in the first place <3)

I've messed around with upgrading my weapons at the moment but I'm still confused about it all too.

I pretty much just read the descriptions of the items and just picked ones that sounded cool. >.<

But yeah I'll find out if I've stuffed things up for myself later on I suppose. >.<

I'm on the same boat here guys. I know certain/better items give you more XP. However, I read that you can get 3x multipliers by using certain items and things? How do we know which items do this?

If we use a certain arrangement of items can it give us, say, fire attribute to our Gladius (or any other elemental attribute)? Anything as far as that goes? HP+, MP+, Haste, Protect, Shell, anything?

This is really starting to puzzle me. I don't want to just throw a bunch of random items together to upgrade and then realize I could have done a specific arrangement to much my weapon much more powerful. =/

OK. The best thing to do is to buy 50 Enigmatic Fluid :wacky: for 4000 Gil.

this gives your item a 3x XP multiplier. The best item you buy buy at this time with respect to xp for gil is a Superconductor, which offers 400 xp in exchange for 840 Gil.

Considering you have a 3x multiplier set up after the fluids, you will be getting 1200xp per item which will allow you to get weapons to level 26 very fast.

you can then use certain items to make the weapons into new weapons with higher level caps, but that can be discussed when you guys have questions about it xD

Okay, how about this.

From what I've read, the Gladius has 26 levels. Once I max out the exp for the Gladius all the way is it too late to give it the Uranium in order to turn it into the Helter-Skelter? Or is that the point where you need to use the Uranium?

The links I gave you earlier explain nearly everything there is to know about Upgrading weapons from what I've read of them.

This whole Upgrading thing has/had me perplexed too. It was like "wtf do I do and when?"

Anyway, hopefully the links will give you the information you need, Mitsie. If you're still confused, let me know and I'll let you know what I've found out about the whole process.

(Credit to Virgil/Atlas for providing said links in the first place <3)

I saved one link but I guess the other link wasn't bookmarked properly. I read it but...it's still confusing. =/ The guy that wrote the guy recommends the items "36x Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant Ooze" first but my core question is, how does he know which ones are best...? I'd like to be able to do it myself without having to look at guides online and experiment with it, but I'm afraid of screwing up.

I did read somewhere that it's best to hold off upgrading until Chapter 11 or so, because upgrading requires tons of resources. So I might just wait until then. I also read that one of Lightning's weapon tiers are Lionheart -> Ultima Weapon -> Omega Weapon ... Might save my components to wait and get that. :hmmm:

/has Omega weapon xD

But you don't just get it from Lionheart. everyone's ultimate weaons have the same name, whichever starting weapon you got it from. And yeah, you do need a LOT of resources Mits.

Ok So my edged Carbine For Lightning is now level Star so it is fully upgraded. Anyone know a better weapon. The most recent one I have is Hauteclair and its only level 1. Should I upgrade that. Also need a better weapon for Fang. Is gae Bolg better than Bladed lance? It lowers my stats(gae bolg)

Buy one of the transformational catalysts to upgrade it into a weapon with a level cap of 61 instead of 26.

If I were you stick with the weapons you have.

The edged carbine needs a Perovskite to become a new weapon at star level and the Gae bolg needs a Scarletite once you Star that.

So far I've only tried upgrading two weapons, and I starred one.

It seems like the oils and oozes seem to build up multipliers, while the other items are there to give a ton of experience. I'm not positive on this though.

Natural or organic items (the ones that have a litte cross next to them) generally give less XP but build up a multiplier by some factor, I could put a table on here if there is enough interest? and mechanical items (they have a little screw next to them) reduce the XP multiplier but give much more xp, and you should use as many of these as possible in one go, as your mmultiplier is NOT reduced until AFTER the full stack of items has been added on, not each item individually.

For example adding 10 superconductors one at a time will give less xp than putting all 10 on at once.

Ok, so lets say, you have Monsters Components (Fang's, Oil's, Wings etc etc...)

Use a few of them first and you will get an extra bonus multiplier.

Then use your items like superconductors (Anything mechanical) and you will receive extra exp.

When a weapon or acc has a star by it, it can go to the next level, in which case you need an upgrade component (Usually has 'ite' at the end, Uranite etc etc..) that then upgrades the weapon completely and the process is repeated.

Each weapon can be upgraded twice and has 3 levels, most accessories can be upgraded once, some twice & some 4 times to completely different items :)

Hope this helps.

Well Im gonna be in trouble then :/ Damn walkthrough. I started upgraded weapons chapters ago and its mainly their main weapon Ive been upgrading cause the one given are crap.

I saved one link but I guess the other link wasn't bookmarked properly. I read it but...it's still confusing. =/ The guy that wrote the guy recommends the items "36x Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant Ooze" first but my core question is, how does he know which ones are best...? I'd like to be able to do it myself without having to look at guides online and experiment with it, but I'm afraid of screwing up.

I did read somewhere that it's best to hold off upgrading until Chapter 11 or so, because upgrading requires tons of resources. So I might just wait until then. I also read that one of Lightning's weapon tiers are Lionheart -> Ultima Weapon -> Omega Weapon ... Might save my components to wait and get that. :hmmm:
Actually, I have the same concerns, how does one know that one item is better than another for creating better weapons? I'm at Chapter XI now, I think, and I haven't thought twice about upgrading weapons, I just didn't want to do something majorly wrong and basically have to eat it for the rest of the game. Unfortunately, I think a guide is really the only way to go to figure out how to "properly" upgrade. I checked GameFAQs, but they don't have a guide for weapons up yet. I could do a little more research, but I'm not sure I want to. I might just look it up in my strategy guide, and hopefully not spoil another aspect of the game. :mokken:

I'm in Chapter 11 now and still haven't upgraded. ^^ So new questions, guys!

I plan to acquire the Lionheart for Lightning's main weapon, but I won't be able to until Chapter 12. And I think Chapter 11 is quite a long chapter, isn't it...? So will I still be safe then without upgrading my weapons or will I have a really tough time with the battles from here on?

Also, what weapon would you recommend for Fang? :hmmm: I did a bit of checking and so far it seems like her Dragoon Lance seems to be quite powerful, moreso than Gae Bolg?

For Vanille - Tiger Claw, Pearl Wing Staff, or Heavenly Axis? Recommendations would be helpful. =] Right now she's using a Healer's Staff and I don't really plan on upgrading that - might as well save my components.

Decisions, decisions.

For Fang, I got her weapon with stagger lock, fully upgraded, its an amazing weapon.

I can't remember what I used for lightning but its epic, upgrading to omega weapon is FUCKING HARD.

For Hope, I got the Nue which has Siphon boost.

For Snow, Save The Queen, which has power surge.

& for Vanille, either the fully upgraded malboro wand (Improved Debuffing) or the Nirvana with Stagger Lock.

Sazh, I really dont have no preference for, as long as he has high magic :D

As with Mitsuki, I'm into Ch.11 and haven't upgraded any weapon or accessory. I find it too confusing. The items / components needed and those 'exp' point and multipliers, I just cannot workout what to do.

I looked in the strategy guide, YouTube videos, and another online weapon guide, but it is all 'too much'. Is there some sort of 'For Dummies' walkthrough on this? Can anyone here give an easy rundown on what to do?

Back