Fan Fiction Fellow Writers - Come Chat!

Amizon

Too orsm for you.
Veteran
Gil
Consider this a thread to chat about writing in general and about your own stories. I had this wacky idea a few days ago, but didn't think of putting it up until tonight.

So what can I say?

I've only got one story so far named FFF Crisis and soon to have the next one up within a few weeks ... we can also use this thread to discuss aspects that need improving of your stories and what's so good about them.

What about you guys? Tell me about your stories and let's exchange them! :P

I can't really call myself a writer since I haven't written anything at all yet >__<

I do have these ideas in my head, but I just have such a hard time writing/typing them out. Like, it sounds so good when I'm reciting it in my head, but somehow something totally sloppy comes out when I'm typing it out; it's very discouraging *sighs*

Hulloo, hulloo!

I've posted three stories here so far. Two short original stories in my thread conveniently titled "Short Stories" and the first chapter of a Chrono Cross fanfiction called Rewrite. I posted Rewrite almost a year ago, but nobody ever gave any comments. I'm not even sure if the thread is there anymore. I have lots of ideas for other stories, but I'm currently lacking motivation to write them.

I haven't really read any one else's stories so far.

I've started two threads in this bloody section but none of them stayed up for long. :gasp:

I've been writing short stories for a while now. I suppose you could call most of my work fan fictions in a way because I like to take aspiration fom characters I like from movies or books.

I've got two good ideas for books at the moment and I've actually started to write one of them but I've no doubt that they'll end up as creative shorts like the rest of what I write.

*Enters wearing a Writer's housecoat and smoking a pipe*

The Abyss is Forever is coming eventually, might be a while, I'm just a tad busy, plus I am trying to find ways to word certain things.

I can't really call myself a writer since I haven't written anything at all yet >__<

I do have these ideas in my head, but I just have such a hard time writing/typing them out. Like, it sounds so good when I'm reciting it in my head, but somehow something totally sloppy comes out when I'm typing it out; it's very discouraging *sighs*
That happens far too often to me. I've often thought of carrying around a little note pad for when things like that happen, so I can write them down as and when I get the ideas so that when it comes to writing it up fully, I have a better copy of it.

I've started two threads in this bloody section but none of them stayed up for long. :gasp:

I've been writing short stories for a while now. I suppose you could call most of my work fan fictions in a way because I like to take aspiration fom characters I like from movies or books.
That's exactly what I've done pretty much. I've tried original stories on a couple of occasions, but I find it hard to keep up consistency in my writing.

I used to love writing short stories when I was in school, and I always have the random ideas popping in my head or really random dreams that I wish I could remember and express them in words but it just never happens..... i always got A's for my short stories in school but I never really carried on. I would like to but I think I lack the imagination these days and if I did I don't think I'd ever post anything here because it would totally suck.....:wacky:

Wow, I never thought this would become an actual place to chat.

Anyway, here are three key things I believe that help you with writing. And I may have already told you some of this in the past few weeks.

1. Inspiration

You need to be inspired to write. Perhaps a special event or something that's happened in your life, maybe even something you see gives you inspiration to write.

2. Originality

Use your own imagination in other words! Be original! What makes your story more special is that it is an original piece.

3. Motivation

In the end, only you can motivate yourself to write the story. People may encourage you, but it's up to you to decide whether to write.

There a few things I go by if that helps anyone.

I think what I generally lack is constant motivation. There'll be times when I really feel like writing, but I lack inspiration. Or if I'm inspired, I just cba to write. One thing I pride myself on is that I always have originality (or so I feel). But yeah, only having two of the three is a problem I need to overcome.

In The Abyss is Forever, I'm gonna try and make as much as I can original, I'm even gonna make my own summons instead of knicking them from other games.

Names is the easy party...it's how there gonna look like :(

Well, I'm writing a completely original story, a fantasy epic. The thing a lot of people overlook in their writing is that it takes time. Go slowly... the results are so much more satisifying.

And no, the story I refer to is NOT Blood of the Living, which as been seen on here before.

I am the first to freely admit that whole piece was utter shit. I've completely scrapped the whole thing: 200+ pages and all.

However, I've restarted it. Same characters. Somewhat same story. Completely different world and magic system. I'm planning on making a series, if not a trilogy.

Another 2 things key to being a writer:

1) You're not God's gift to the world: Get over it.
A lot of people think their writing is unmatched and can't take any critiques. I hate it when people just poor on how good my story was when it clearly wasn't. They're not giving me any useful info to improve my writing. Listen to the critiques, consider what they mean, then ACT upon them.

2) Write for yourself
I personally found it annoying when a writer didn't describe the colorful market place surrounding the chars. I wanted to see more of the peculiar things scattered on the tables. So, when I wrote a similar scene, I included a lot of such description. Everyone that's read it so far has loved it. You're not writing for a publishing company, a friend, or your mom. Write how you want to and don't let anyone smother your voice.

As for myself, my story is coming along nicely. The only problem is, no one can stay awake long enough to read my description of my complex and well-developed magic system.

I cry.

Fusionist said:

Have you considered getting some voice-recognition software? You know, where you speak into a mike and the words come out on the page? I know a lot of people have a hard time writing it out, that the words seem small and paltry on the page. If speaking is your medium, then go for it. Pursue your goal in any means necessary.

Last edited:
Well I don't really write stories as far as I think of a plot.

It like I got this plot then I think about it and I want to add characters and situations to flush out the character but that might cause some problems for the current plot and even is you do that you got write the story that will be understandable/enjoyable for your readers but you can't think to much of the readers when writing the story cause then that might make you change aspects of plot/character to benefit the readers and keep it enjoyable....

so basically what I'm trying to say is I have some stories I want to tell but not quite sure how to tell it....I probably think too much into it I don't know but might try and type something later

Like I said: Write for yourself.

Bugger the others and what they think. Get it down, then you can always go back and make corrections. It isn't doing any good moldering in your mind. Just write what sounds good to you. You'll be surprised by what comes out.

Yea thats true but the current concept I was pondering is complicated and I want to put the reader into the character the fun times the bad ones...but also I want them to question the character and think about what they would've done differently or if they would've done anything at all or if they should do it....

but that takes a lot of time to create and it would be a bother if they become confused by it...should become sort of like a philosophy if done right

not too perfect but not too bad...just something to think about

Last edited:
Ah. I know you're problem. I had the same kind of problem with my own main character.

Open a Word document (or whatever software of your choice). Name is "[name of char] Development"

Now, begin to describe your character.

Who are they? Did something happen in their past to get them here? Was it tragic or joyful? Are they rich or poor? What are their standards of conduct and honor? Are they as strict as a samurai, or are they a drunk street fighter?

If you want to make them complex, know this: A complex character does the opposite of what the reader wants them to, yet has a good reason to.

My main character, she's like a knight. She wants to protect people, and is always trying to do so. She has very little standing for herself. The only problem, everyone she's ever tried to save has died.

Focus on the character. Give them a favorite color, a childhood past, a family (if any), give them life.

Think about those specific things you want that character to meet in your story and alter their past/personality to fit your needs.

I found this helped immensely.

hmm...good point actually I had a start off on a character it's in a more real world setting that question morals...

Like say you have this criminal defense lawyer that more or less kills his clients by slacking in the case or by having a hand in the murder after the case cause he can't lose all of his cases but he don't just kill someone that he's defending he more or less tries to "interview" them to figure out their "character" but this is only by face value and by his own bias sometimes(might have do with past experiences) but he tries to figure out these clients but what if one day he meets a killer who got the same exact intentions as him...kill those that are guilty(this character could be the true main character in a sense) basically this killer couldn't be alone with all these killings of crime lords and all....

This where I stop cause it gets to complicated and I want to research laws in way to protect and endanger these characters and kind of build up to a revelation later on and also you need the other characters I hinted at or the "real" main character also and then I have to explain how the fake main character killed the criminals he defended....might just go a totally different route till I can do this

Last edited:
See that works too. Adapt to your ideas. If you want to go with the first idea, draw the lines, color them in, shade it, varnish it

THEN go and look up laws. See whats wrong. Change this bit here. Tweak that bit there.

You've got a good idea here, and I really like it. It has a lot of potential, and it'd be a shame to just never be heard.

I like it. Remember that plot is inert if it doesn't change. Is your lawyer going to have a change of heart? Will he put aside his scheming ways and try to help others honestly? It isn't actually very complicated. I understand it perfectly. This lawyer it going to change, in some way, as a direct result of this encounter. And your story is simply the documentation of that.

Otherwise, I'm very intrigued. Please start writing soon. Even if it's only a script!!!

Yes, I do believe that working on the story and characters helps add to an effective story. I always map our plans in my mind of what to do in a storyline and character involvement, etc.

Wow, this place sure got busy :O Well currently i have one story, Darkness Of Destruction, which seems to be doing quite well.

I have a new story up called FFF Heroes, basically a spin off from FFF Crisis. But it's set in the Heroes universe and if you've watched Heroes, then you'll understand how the story works.

But if you haven't, please don't let that put you off. The first chapter is up now and be warned, this may take a while to read ...

Back