Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Quite simple.

Do you have a favourite Easter egg in a video game which references or teases another franchise, etc?

-

I've enjoyed spotting a lot of Easter eggs, but one that really stands out for me is from Uncharted 4. I'm referring to the inclusion of Guybrush Threepwood (the protagonist from the Monkey Island franchise) as one of the pirate captains who had founded the pirate colony of Libertalia in Madagascar. While exploring Libertalia, some old portraits can be found with the name 'Guy Wood' (often the name is scratched to obscure his full name to avoid legal issues with Lucas Arts), and his sigil is a red monkey as a homage to the character.

Guybrush Threepwood.jpg

I laughed when I saw what they'd done there. Monkey Island isn't exactly the most serious of takes on pirates, so seeing Naughty Dog had included Guybrush amongst historical pirates in a subtle, deadpan way was quite hilarious.

On the topic of Uncharted 4. I don't really care for the series, but I loved the fact that the developers made you play the first level of Crash Bandicoot towards the beginning of the game. A great callback by Naughty Dog.

One of my favourite recent easter eggs (if you can even call it that) is in Bravely Default. Once you're past a certain part in the story, the title screen changes slightly. Spoilers ahead:

The subtitle of the game is Where The Fairy Flies. However, after a certain part of the game, your companion Airy (some kind of fairy) turns out to be a traitor and leads the group slowly but surely to the birth of a big evil or some shit like that. During that part of the game, most letters in the subtitle fade away when you load the file and leave the message: AIRY LIES. Also, the pattern on Airy's butterfly-like wings changes slightly after every plot event - it actually subtly forms numbers which count down to 0. I thought this was really well done and it even blew my mind a little.

Ah, it's kinda silly, but I think the Buttbuttin's Creed: Valhalla's little tribute to Keith Flint (†) & The Prodigy is my favorite. Somewhere in the game you confront some bards and they toss around some references, including the leader being named Keith I think. I actually didn't play this game, but I was sitting at my desk when my husband was and started busting out laughing as they started yelling out "SMACK MY BISHOP!" which is a reference to one of their most popular songs 'Smack my Bitch Up' lmao. It was one of my favorite bands growing up & I still listen to them now & again.

Here's a video if you're not sure what I'm talking about, or are curious and/or lazy:

A Easter Eggs from some of my favourite games outisde Final Fantasy:

Shadow of Memories/ Shadow of Destiny:
The Game Director did the voice overs for the cats that are in-game.
SOM CAT CREDITS.JPG
SOM CATS.JPG

The Bouncer:
A simple one but always found it cool how Volt had the Cactuar symbol on his jacket with a censor sign over it and the phrase NO ESCAPE :P
VOLT BACK.JPG

Tekken 3:
Another simple reference to another game - In Pauls Stage in Tekken 3 in the background you can see graffiti which says Soul Edge - Referring to ttheir other fighting game we brits call Soul Blade.
T3SEEG.png
soulsedgejapan.JPG

Ah, it's kinda silly, but I think the Buttbuttin's Creed: Valhalla's little tribute to Keith Flint (†) & The Prodigy is my favorite. Somewhere in the game you confront some bards and they toss around some references, including the leader being named Keith I think. I actually didn't play this game, but I was sitting at my desk when my husband was and started busting out laughing as they started yelling out "SMACK MY BISHOP!" which is a reference to one of their most popular songs 'Smack my Bitch Up' lmao. It was one of my favorite bands growing up & I still listen to them now & again.

Here's a video if you're not sure what I'm talking about, or are curious and/or lazy:

I noticed that whilst playing Valhalla and it also made me laugh once I realised what they were doing. I think that's an excellent one.

I have another one.

There are many awesome references throughout Final Fantasy XIV's localisation. Alongside the many mythology, philosophy and literary references, there are some neat popular culture ones too. For example, I bought a 'Trike' minion (because it looks like my beloved Desktop Triceratops). The official description for the minion contains a fantastic Jurassic Park Easter egg.

Trike.jpg

Yep, this scene.

I thought this was pretty cool.

Back