FFX-2 Eternal Calm

Sheechiibii

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
How do the people know it's an eternal calm? They behave as though this is the first time they've ever been truly free of Sin and as though the entire world has adapted because of this. But what makes the people so sure Sin won't come back. This is only three years after Sin's defeat, when Braska defeated Sin the calm was around for 10 years, yet people stayed the same, Spira didn't change at all. I know we (and Yuna and co) know Sin isn't coming back, but why is there no doubt for the rest of Spira?

Because Yuna survived? :monster:

EDIT: Also because of the way the gang went about it, I suppose. Like when that Al Bhed ship played the Hymn of the Faith through it's PA and got all of Spira to join in... before proceeding to blast the heck out of Sin with it's cannons. I guess the whole event panned out very differently from previous times. It most likely felt more permanent this time 'round. :hmmm:

Yeah, really what Welsh said.

Had Sin been killed the usual way, via the Final Summoning, then Sin would be back within a year, maybe two. And Yuna would be a corpse by now.

The fact that Yuna survived the whole ordeal to became the only living High Summoner in Spira's history should confirm no doubt that Sin finally kicked the bucket for good.

Oh, and there was that end sequence where Yuna confirmed it to the whole of Spira. :hmmm: Everyone obviously took her word for it.

It is not too difficult to verify, they saw Sin being assaulted by the airship over Bevelle. They saw there was no Final Aeon there either. Considering what a Sin vs Aeon battle did to the Calm Lands, they would know if there had been such a battle over bevelle

Yeah, but I don't know. It just seems wrong to me, that they'd all change so soon, when they knew nothing about Yu Yevon and only really saw Sin being defeated (which it had been before) they didn't know about the final summoning being what brought sin back, they thought they had to atone. I just think it's strange that nobody would doubt that Sin was trully gone after only three years.

Well all the Yevon folk preached that in their temples though, didn't they? I got the impression that it was common knowledge that a Summoner must sacrifice him/herself in order to bring about the Calm. The people felt that they had to atone because they thought it was the only way of permanently getting rid of Sin, but Yuna and her chums went and proved them wrong. And then they declared it to the world that Sin was gone forever. From everything that was shown in the game, I think it reasonable enough that there was enough evidence for them to back that claim and for people to take their word for it.

Sure, most of Spira were kept in the dark about the whole Yu Yevon stuff, but enough happened for everyone to see. Like the Al Bhed ship attacking Sin and blasting it out of the sky. For the people there, that would have been unprecedented. But then there was the fact that Yuna came back a survivor which, again, was unprecedented. And then she goes and makes a world-wide announcement that Sin had been beaten and would not come back. None of this would have happened in any of those people's lives, nor the lives of those from generations before them.

Well all the Yevon folk preached that in their temples though, didn't they? I got the impression that it was common knowledge that a Summoner must sacrifice him/herself in order to bring about the Calm. The people felt that they had to atone because they thought it was the only way of permanently getting rid of Sin, but Yuna and her chums went and proved them wrong. And then they declared it to the world that Sin was gone forever. From everything that was shown in the game, I think it reasonable enough that there was enough evidence for them to back that claim and for people to take their word for it.

Sure, most of Spira were kept in the dark about the whole Yu Yevon stuff, but enough happened for everyone to see. Like the Al Bhed ship attacking Sin and blasting it out of the sky. For the people there, that would have been unprecedented. But then there was the fact that Yuna came back a survivor which, again, was unprecedented. And then she goes and makes a world-wide announcement that Sin had been beaten and would not come back. None of this would have happened in any of those people's lives, nor the lives of those from generations before them.

She proved them wrong that Sin can only be beaten by the final summoning. Why are they so sure she's proved that Sin will never come back given it's only been three years? That's what I mean. They all hoped that Sin would never come back everytime it was defeated, but Spira never changed like it did in X-2. I mean, it was gone for ten years after Braska defeated it during which time everyone hoped it would never come back, but the world never changed.

Well, the same pattern was followed before... assuring the same result right? People atoning, people still hoping. But if the pattern changes, then doesn't that issue a change in the result? It's almost like an experiment you'd think, if you keep doing the same thing over and over you achieve the same result, the same reaction. But different patterns cause different reactions. I think that is how people know that this time around it will be different. Because how they got the calm this time was different.
(PS. Sin could only be reborn with the Final Aeon, in which there was none, therefore no rebirth. It was said that Sin was born to punish the warring cities of Bevelle and Zanarkand (the machina war) and Sin was created (and powered) by the Fayth. Since the Fayth are at rest, then there is no means of Sin being reborn.)

X-2 takes place 2 years after X, not 3.

The reason that everybody accepts the Calm as eternal is because Sin hasn't come back. There is no evidence to suggest that Braska's Calm lasted 10 years; to assume that it did last 10 years would be to assume that the first encounter in-game is the first time Sin returns. There's no specified period for the Calm, but it's probably between a few months and a year. Any more and you'd probably see people in X-2 worried about Sin still, but there is literally no one that you meet or can talk to that doubts the Eternal Calm. That would suggest that the Calm doesn't last too long, because they're obviously not thinking about it a mere 2 years later.

I think it's something to do with the Fayth too, as Yunalova stated above. The Fayth is all gone now, meaning no more aeon will exist (and no Tidus as well! :( ) which will result to no summoning. Sin is made of the final aeon summoned, so since there is no aeon left the summoning cannot be possible to be done.

I think it's something to do with the Fayth too, as Yunalova stated above. The Fayth is all gone now, meaning no more aeon will exist (and no Tidus as well! :( ) which will result to no summoning. Sin is made of the final aeon summoned, so since there is no aeon left the summoning cannot be possible to be done.

OH MY GOD DUH...... Pahaha, I was about to reply with all this about why I think it is the Spirans so readily believe Sin is vanquished, but I did NOT think of this, which is stupid of me because it's probably the most obvious freakin' reason. There's no more Fayth! And the people would know this very well because there are no longer any summoners and therefore no more aeons, and of course there would be that affirming absence of the Hymn of the Fayth in each of the temples.

Hunhhh.

Also, I have to agree, I really don't think Braska's Calm lasted 10 years... I'm quite sure actually that it was only a period of some months or a year or so, just like the other Calms... In fact, now I think on it, I seem to remember it was mentioned in the game that each Calm was shorter than the last... I'll have to look back and see if I'm right about that or no.

Yes but while we know that the reason Sin can't come back is because of the Fayth and Aeons being gone and no more Yu Yevon etc, the people of Spira didn't know about any of that being connected to Sin. They only saw it as a way to defeat Sin. They all thought getting rid of Sin was all about atonement, and they'd thought that for 1000 years, all they saw was Yuna defeating Sin without using the Final Summoning, which doesn't mean anything to them other than that there's another way to defeat it without the Final Aeon. While everyone is right about Braska's calm not lasting that long (according the the time-line Square released it lasted one year) I still think 2 years is such a short amount of time for everyone to suddenly be convinced Sin will never ever return and for Spira to change so drastically, it had to have been changing for quite some time while to become what it was like in X-2.

Back