Digital Foundry Declares Playstation 3 Version Of Final Fantasy XIII Superior [3/5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amizon

Too orsm for you.
Veteran
Gil
Honestly, cross-game comparisons aren’t our thing. But when it comes to such a high profile port as Final Fantasy XIII, it’s very interesting indeed to note that the XBOX 360 version is a “lot worse than it should have been”.

The website writes:

“The rumours are true. Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 isn’t anywhere near as impressive as it is on PlayStation 3. The real kicker is that it’s a lot worse than it should have been.

“Square Enix’s latest epic – 4.5 years in the making – follows on the basic principles established by all of its PlayStation predecessors in combining an excellent 3D engine along with vast amounts of pre-rendered CG. This presented two very difficult issues for the developers tasked with porting an already mature PS3 work-in-progress over to the Xbox 360.”

Indeed, there you have it. If you own both platforms and were curious which version to buy, make sure you get the Playstation 3 game.

We scored the game 3/4 earlier this morning.

Source: Push Square

Most people only own one or the other console.

I have a PS3 so I'm happy about better graphics, but if I had been more inclined to Microsoft and bought a XBOX 360, I'd still buy FFXIII for the 360. Why? Because it's FFXIII on the 360!

I think more people appreciate that the game is actually available on the the console they own than the graphic comparison. If for some horrible reason FFXIII wasn't made for the PS3, nobody would care about the graphics on the 360. In the end it's just a over-all comparison.

No one said the graphics themselves are bad on the 360, just that the PS3 version is better, that's all -_-

So 360 users, buy/rent/steal with pride and be confident in your game! :gasp:

"Superior" that is pretty ridiculous :eek:
Makes me wonder if SE did it on purpose ;p or didnt take the needed time to convert it better.

Perhaps they mean "superior" as in graphics? It's no surprise since it's been practically news for a while, anyway. That's the only suggestion I could come up with.

Key words: "When compared to the PlayStation 3"

I doubt this game will have worse graphics than your average 360 title, probably much, much better in fact.

Key words: "When compared to the PlayStation 3"

I doubt this game will have worse graphics than your average 360 title, probably much, much better in fact.
How average is an "average" 360 title? I'm not bothered since either way I'm getting the PS3 version but both the in game graphics and CGI's are running at 576p in the 360 version, which to be fair, is quite shocking considering everyone's seen how much better the 360 can do. All being said, the graphics won't be bad by any means.

Hmm, whelp! Can't get this game either. Seeing how I LACK a PSIII. Bull, man.

Why can't they make the game good for both systems? Dumb asses.

How average is an "average" 360 title? I'm not bothered since either way I'm getting the PS3 version but both the in game graphics and CGI's are running at 576p in the 360 version, which to be fair, is quite shocking considering everyone's seen how much better the 360 can do. All being said, the graphics won't be bad by any means.
I'm not really sure to be honest, but I can't see it looking worse than Lost Odyssey, which, being a JRPG, had decent graphics.

Also, I'm not a big enough graphics junkie to care. I understand it's a deal-breaker for some, but this news means almost nothing to me.

Srsly like I have said before this is just people fangasming all over the place because they have a ps3 :ffs: Its Jus graphics GRAPHICS not gameplay! Its sill the same game but with 0.1% worse graphics! Also the 360 has good graphics and Yes I KNOW the PS3 has BETTER but still who cares XIII on 360 and XIII on ps3 are the same. Just graphics are freaking less by a little tiny bit :ffs:

Perhaps they mean "superior" as in graphics? It's no surprise since it's been practically news for a while, anyway. That's the only suggestion I could come up with.

Offcourse I knew its about the graphics, but I thought the difference would be slighty different, "Superior" is a pretty big word.

In other words it kinda sucks for xbox owners.oh well...

Like i've said before, i'm not too bugged about it.

I mean, yes I do have a PS3 and yes i will get XIII on that system but if your a true FF fan and you only own a xbox 360 i mean who cares?? I mean it does in a way suck since the ps3 has 'better' graphics but like I said it would'n't stop me from playing :ryan: (if I only owned the 360)

This pretty much sums up that the 360 is pretty much coming to the end of its lifespan, whereas the PS3 still has a lot of life to go yet.

Pretty much a common thing to happen in the console world, and its not the first time that sony has shown a late turn around by surpassing there rivals with there Technology versus earlier release date, I wouldnt be suprised now if Microsoft announce/unveil there next console sometime this year due to the pressure this review will create on the 360's market share.

dont count out Xbox yet !, I am a diehard ps fan myself, however SplinterCell Conviction and Halo Reach will be spectaculair ;) lol

I'm not counting it out, more saying its reached the peak of its Technological capabilites, thus the PS3 has now surpassed it as the superior console for those that enjoy the full aspects of all the technology has to offer.

As with the Super nintendo versus the Megadrive and the PS 1 versus the Dreamcast, there is still life in the console as the diehard fans will likely stick with it, but for the complete experience with cross platform games, most people will go and buy a ps3 after reading this review to have that complete experience.

but for the complete experience with cross platform games, most people will go and buy a ps3 after reading this review to have that complete experience.

I agree, I am planning to buy a ps3 soon

Ps3 -
Build-in Wifi adapter
Internet (seems xbox360 you cant even go online?)
Free :)
BlueRay

Conviction would probably cross over on Ps3 as well (I heard rumours it might be xbox exclusive :( ) and Halo would never be on ps3 though..

The only problem that the 360 version faces in terms of graphics is laziness, and it is laziness. They've half arsed some of the graphics to rush it out at the same time as the PS3 version, and it's evident.

BadCG_000.jpg.jpg

BadCG_001.jpg.jpg

badcg2.jpg.jpg

The problem is, it's not all like that, at some points you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. Which to me screams "cba".

You can really see the difference in those screen shots. However, the XBOX ones look like rubbish quality pictures in the first place. They look all fuzzy and pixelated. I'm not sure if those are in the game graphics or some poor photo quality issues.

Anyway, I'm just going to go with what most people have been saying and get the PS3 version because it seems like there is some merit to the claim that graphics are better in the PS version. If you had both consoles and paid the same amount of money on the game, then you'd be a fool (IMO) to get the version with lower quality graphics.

I have to get the PS version by default because I don't have an XBOX. :wacky:

This pretty much sums up that the 360 is pretty much coming to the end of its lifespan, whereas the PS3 still has a lot of life to go yet.

Pretty much a common thing to happen in the console world, and its not the first time that sony has shown a late turn around by surpassing there rivals with there Technology versus earlier release date, I wouldnt be suprised now if Microsoft announce/unveil there next console sometime this year due to the pressure this review will create on the 360's market share.

So the Xbox 360 is done because the PS3 has one multiplatform game that looks better? Not likely. If that was the case then why hasn't Sony announced the Playstation 4 yet? Grand Theft Auto 4 is almost 2 years old now, and the PS3 version ran at a lower resolution than the 360 version did. According to your logic, surely that would have made Sony buckle and go back to the drawing board? Especially considering that GTA is a much bigger franchise than Final Fantasy these days.

So the Xbox 360 is done because the PS3 has one multiplatform game that looks better? Not likely. If that was the case then why hasn't Sony announced the Playstation 4 yet? Grand Theft Auto 4 is almost 2 years old now, and the PS3 version ran at a lower resolution than the 360 version did. According to your logic, surely that would have made Sony buckle and go back to the drawing board? Especially considering that GTA is a much bigger franchise than Final Fantasy these days.

I get the feeling your arguing with me for arguings sake since this isnt the first thread you've done this?

But look over each console generations history, since you claim to be a gamer of the 80's yourself you will know full well that once one console surpasses the other in Technology, the other console will start to fall behind, Killzone 2 for instance would not port well to the 360 as they would have to chop a lot of stuff out that makes it what its is. Mortal Kombat on the Mega drive was technically superior to the Super nintendo as were many other titles, not too long after MK3 the N64 was announced because the SNES had fallen steeply behind in quality.

GTA was a different thing entirely, as the PS3 was still in its infant stage so they were unsure about the technological capabilities entirely for the PS3, but look at the quality games they have made, in fact look at the cross platform games such as MW2 and Left 4 dead 2 which are of a better quality on the PS3 than they are on the 360.

You can accept it or sit in denial, but the xbox 360 can no longer compete with the PS3 in quality terms and will either have to concentrate on getting the most out of gameplay as the SNES did so many years ago, or it's time to start pushing for the next generation console.

Afterall and I'm sure some of you remember, the 360 when it was unveiled was only intended to ever have been an intermitant system between projects to allow Microsoft to keep a firm hold on there market share while they developed there next big console, It has more than succeeded and become more than was ever intended for it, but I dont think it'll last much more than another couple of years now that the fall behind has begun in ernest.

I get the feeling your arguing with me for arguings sake since this isnt the first thread you've done this?

Because anyone who disagrees with you can't possibly be serious? :P Don't take it to heart man, it's nothing personal, I just happen to disagree with you ;)

But look over each console generations history, since you claim to be a gamer of the 80's yourself you will know full well that once one console surpasses the other in Technology, the other console will start to fall behind, Killzone 2 for instance would not port well to the 360 as they would have to chop a lot of stuff out that makes it what its is. Mortal Kombat on the Mega drive was technically superior to the Super nintendo as were many other titles, not too long after MK3 the N64 was announced because the SNES had fallen steeply behind in quality.

See I don't think you are right about that.

When Nintendo 64 came out, Sega Saturn had already been out for years, so I don't think anyone can say with certainty that it was because the Super Nintendo was lagging behind the Mega Drive that they decided to announce the 64. The SNES was also kept in production for much longer than the Mega Drive, so I don't think it's fair to say that it ever truly fell behind.

The Playstation 2 mopped the floor with both competing consoles sales-wise even though both the Gamecube and the Xbox were technically superior right off the bat. It even continued to sell like hot cakes long after the 2 other consoles had been taken off the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back