David Gemmell

Sephirothalpha

Grand Master Mage
Veteran
Gil
Does anybody read any of his Fantasy books. I have read alot and have to say Gemmell is one of my favourtie fantasy authors. His characters such as Druss the Legend, Waylander and Connavar are brilliant and the stories keep you gripped until the end of his books.

Use this thread to discuss his books.

Ive read:

The Sword in the Storm
Midnight Falcon
Ravenheart
Storm Rider
Lord of the Silver Bow
Legend
The King Beyond the Gate
Waylander
Quest For Lost Heroes
In the Realm of the Wold
The First Chronicles Of Druss The Legend
The Legend of Deathwalker
Winter Warriors
Hero in the Shadows.

Read Legend and The King Beyond the Gate. I would rate Gemmell higher than the likes of Jordan since his books are that damn entertaining with the battle scenes which with him are always fun to read. Always been meaning to get back into the Drenai Saga but I've got a couple of other things to finish first.

I was quite gutted after his recent death too, I was looking forward to seeing more of his stuff.

About finished Waylander now and and I have to say that I was a tad disappointed. It was a decent read but never really enjoyed any of the characters as much as Druss or Tenaka. It didn't help that it followed pretty much the same formula as before (end of the Drenai, The Thirty, massive siege) so it needed strong characters to carry it but Waylander was a bit meh and everyone else was the same.

I think I might try one from his other series next.

Back