Data Protection

TheMixedHerb

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Okay, not sure where to put this. So I just lobbed it into Costa for now, seemed apt I think.

Anyway, I had class today and the teacher was talking about the Data Protection act, we had discussed it last week too and it's something that in the line of work i'm looking at i'll most likely have to deal with a lot.

The basics of the data protection act are:

The Data Protection Act gives individuals the right to know what information is held about them. It provides a framework to ensure that personal information is handled properly.
The Act works in two ways. Firstly, it states that anyone who processes personal information must comply with eight principles, which make sure that personal information is:
  • Fairly and lawfully processed
  • Processed for limited purposes
  • Adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • Accurate and up to date
  • Not kept for longer than is necessary
  • Processed in line with your rights
  • Secure
  • Not transferred to other countries without adequate protection
(Anyone who wants to read the full thing I found it here.)

As we were discussing it though, we were shown a short in which a guy accidentally gives out far too many details about himself to only book into a hotel. The receptionist was asking far too personal questions (and rather stupid ones) and he was answering her on the spot.

Now, I don't expect anyone to do that in real life but it did make me wonder.
How seriously do we take the Data Protection Act, and how many of us realise just how easy it is to break?

If your job is primarily focused around the handling of other's information, it's your obligation to keep all of that data private. Anybody can ask for it though, for example on the short the man also gave away somebody's details to an unknown person on the phone. When he was queried about who it was later he had no idea as he was more fixated on his current vacation.

I was just wondering people's opinions on this as I feel it could be highly interesting what your takes are.
Do you realise how easy it is to break it,have your own story to tell on it or even been a victim of data theft?

Personally I didn't realise the significance of it until it was brought up in class, I mean I knew it was very important stuff. Yet i'd never stopped and thought "Hey, I don't actually know how the Data Protection act works."
It's a rather serious issue, yet it's weird how something so seemingly simple can have such a large knock on effect.

I've always known what the Act was about and I've been always careful about giving information about myself. No matter how much the person who holds the data will say they'll keep it private, I'm distrustful of them. I feel quite insecure with giving people information about myself, even if it's just the bank.

It was never until getting my current job was I really aware of the fundamentals, but there is always the general grasp of privacy at any age.

Personally I handle a lot of personal, private (and social, medical, contact details etc) information about the public, and have to confine it strictly to our department, affiliated departments, and schools (our work links directly with them). You occasionally get estranged parents wanting information about where his or her child is currently attending school, where they're living and such, and the only way we could reasonably give that is if we see documents from the courts stipulating their parental responsibility (and by extension rights to information about the child).

Now on a day to day basis, I'm constantly on the 'phone with colleagues talking about certain children/families and sharing contact information for them, so to be able to take such a blasé and casual approach to such confidential information can be quite dangerous. Thankfully I've not let slip anything that I shouldn't, but as my exposure and awareness has expanded, so has my understanding of how easy it could be become to release one bit of data more than one should. To detrimental effect on your job too...

So my involvement with the Act is considerable, and it looms over me constantly. Hopefully I won't encounter a day bad enough where I do make that fault.

It was never until getting my current job was I really aware of the fundamentals, but there is always the general grasp of privacy at any age.

I think I was the same until it popped up in that discussion, it's odd how much there is to it.
I mean, when I was younger I used to wonder why there was so much privacy over such things as I thought it'd be useless information; it's quite the opposite actually.

Hopefully I won't encounter a day bad enough where I do make that fault.

Here's hoping that no one ever comes across this, especially if your job requires the handling of classified information on such a level. It will cost the person their job most likely and leave a horrible mark on their record, and the unsuspecting victim has to deal with God only knows.

As I said, I never used to take it too seriously, yet when you sit down and think about it it's very important.

There's a commercial over here where a.... I believe it's a Security company.... sets up a little cubicle thing where they're offering $500 for new "customers" to open up a checking account with their bank. Except that the interviewer/processor/whatever goes on to ask all kinds of ridiculous questions. Everything from Social Security Numbers to credit card information to grandmother's maiden name to what street they grew up on as a kid. And all these people are answering on the spot, seemingly without questioning why these people need to know that info. I'm sure it's edited a bit to prove the company's point, but the fact that people were willing to give up this kind of information for a measly $500 is amazing.

and most of the time, they will sell that information to companies, that will send you all sorts of junk mail, and can even steal your identity, the foolishness of some people for a little bit of money, knows no bounds.

It really is suprising the lengths people will go to for money, some don't understand the possible ramifications of doing something as foolish and reckless as that, I mean honestly.

If someone wants your details, you have a right to know why, if they can't tell you then you can't trust them. It's as simple as that really, you have to know what they're going to do with your details, they're your details, nobody else's.

I honestly didn't think people would do such stupid things for money, alas.

Back