Dark Fantasy game recommendations?

Thule Esperada

Blue Mage
Gil
I've been in the mood for some dark fantasy recently, but I haven't had much luck finding ones that scratch that specific itch.
I'm looking for a certain kind of atmosphere and mood, so I'm flexible when it comes to gameplay. Settings that deal with the occult and demonic threats, and the fantastical aspects are front and center.

Something that has a similar 'vibe' as:
- Diablo (the first)
- Demon's Souls (Later 'Souls' games feel ironically less dark to me)
- Legacy of Kain Blood Omen (The first title is the only one that had straight up demons in it)
- Bloodborne (more cosmic horror than dark fantasy but the atmosphere is there)

And less like:
- Witcher 3 (The 'fantasy' elements are way too downplayed for my taste)
- Dragon Age (Origins has several good sections, but later games feel more 'high fantasy')

I have played persona 3-5 and few of the smt spinoffs. I enjoyed them quite a lot. The settings are more Urban-fantasy than what I'm looking for at the moment but the occult aspect is there. Thanks for the recommendation.

well, the gamer site recommends 12 dark fantasy games, maybe something there for you
12. witcher 3
11. darkest dungeon
10. Styx - shard of darkness
9. diablo 3
8. Vampire the masquerade - bloodlines
7. bloodborne
6. hunter the reckoning
5. vampyr
4. darksiders 2
3. Alice madness returns
2. mass effectc 2
1. shadowhearts

Mass Effect 2 is dark fantasy now? That website's list seems all over the place.
Only ones I'd consider proper dark fantasy are Darkest Dungeon and Shadowhearts. The former is a bit off putting due to it's 'hard for the sake of being hard' gameplay and the latter is a rather obscure PS2 game so getting my hands on it can be a bit difficult.

Thanks for the recommendations though :-)

Back