Serious clueless

Crystal

Red Mage
Veteran
Gil
So, I just want to get this off my chest, two friends know and I talk about it with my dad when he's alone, but I don't really know what to do now.
It's a long story.

We're on vacation in Canada now, exactly for one week now. (me my dad and mom) and we're staying at my dad's best friend. And we have one week to go.
The thing is, my mom starts to loose her mind. This happened before in 2008 when we went on vacation for a week. We noticed she was a little more hyper and when we got home she talked nonsense and that creeped me out, but that only lasted for a day.
We were assuming it's the changes, that it's different than home.

Now it's back, it started with being hyper, laughing about everything, saying so many times how beautiful everything is. We hoped it would stay that way and would go away after a few hours but since yesterday it's getting out of control.
Since yesterday she keeps on saying that she doesn't understand what's happening, she's grabbing her head when she says it. Then she stands up and rambles about halloween how weird it is. (It's new to us since we don't celebrate it in Holland)
Then she says it again and when we ask what's wrong she puts her finger to her lips and says ssst! Listen. When we ask what again she says: PLEASE LISTEN! Also she is panicking with every little sound around her. She even came running to me because she thought I choked while the dog just scratched the chair.

Today she is laughing and then suddenly starts to cry and saying she finally understands it (what we don't know), she wanted to go outside in her PJ's with her coat on, without glasses (she's almost blind without) , she forgot where her room was, she also hit my dad out of nowhere and screamed that he was a bastard. and pinched me really hard in my arm for fun.
She keeps on whispering to herself when she's a few paces away from us and stuff and when she talks about something it doesn't make sense. When I make a sound or start to talk I have to be quiet or else the dust will fly up and will upset her. She's not my mom anymore and we know we have to deal with this untul we get home... Luckily she has an appointment with the hospital on wensday after we get home. (She has bad headaches for a long time now and medicines don't help)
Tomorrow we are leaving to my cousin who lives 5 hours off, but my dad and I don't feel like going anymore since we are both upset. I even feel like going home already because of this.

My dad doesn't have vacation anymore since he has to stay with her 24'7 or else she might do something stupid.

There's probably more to say but I leave it like this now.
Just wanted to let this go, if you have any advice it's welcome.

Have she had the condition diagnosed? It sounds as if it could be far more serious that just hyper activity or paranoia.

I've been in a similar situation a few times (no one in the family though) and found the best way to deal with it is to humour the person's eccentric behaviour, as patronising as that may sound.

I sorry to hear it, she should get it diagnosed as soon as possible because it could be a very serious illness - getting it diagnosed early is crucial.

Have she had the condition diagnosed? It sounds as if it could be far more serious that just hyper activity or paranoia.

I've been in a similar situation a few times (no one in the family though) and found the best way to deal with it is to humour the person's eccentric behaviour, as patronising as that may sound.

I sorry to hear it, she should get it diagnosed as soon as possible because it could be a very serious illness - getting it diagnosed early is crucial.

No, she had a scan 4 years ago of her brains and nothing was wrong. In that same year we also went to canada and she was just fine.
I hope something will come out the scans next week. My dad will come with her and will tell everything what happened of course, since I think she won't remember.

My dad is trying to do the same, just answering her ridiculous talk, but I can see he can't hold on for a few more days.

And I'm just trying to stay away from her, we don't have such a good bond with each other and I'm just getting really frustrated when she's acting like this, and if I will respond angrily it might even get worse.

It could be trauma. Was she under a lot of stress before she began acting this way? Could something grievous have happened to her before she became that way?

Also, some scans might be inaccurate and she could have been misdiagnosed. It's always better to get a second opinion. I hope it works out for you (y)

Not that I know, she did have a bad youth and she doesn't let that go that easily, she also stated a few times she was stressed but I don't know of what, since she doesn't leave the house that often, she doesn't have a job as well and rests many times on a day, I don't think it's that.
My dad thinks she just can't handle changes anymore, that that is too much to her brain or something =|

But we'll see what it is, and if there's an outcome I'll post it here.

It's hard to determine what the exact cause of this odd behavior is, so I cannot make any specific guesses. I'm going to have to say, judging by her past, that something in Canada or about the trip from where you guys live has brought up some weird or bad memories causing her to revert to this peculiar state. She may be well physically, but has she been tested under stressful situations? It's possible there might not be any physical evidence because during those scans she was not being stimulated in the proper way (if her past and her memories are is triggering this behavior).

Is she like this at home or is she normal and easy to be around? If that is the case, you might assume there is something she is not telling you or making obvious. If it's gotten worse, she should probably get tested again for something like PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), depression and the like--although it could be some entirely different explanation.

She's normal at home, can't say easy to be around since she can't handle the truth, she'll get really defensive then, but with this behavior, it's only the second time it occurred.

Update: my mom is in the Canadian hospital now and has to stay for the night, she had a lot of headache again so our friends said she had to go to the doctor, she also didn't calm down at all. She got tranquilizers and shots to keep her calm and keep the pain away, they took some blood, her heartbeat was too fast and blood pressure too high. An hour ago we had a call that she is walking around again and got calmer but she's still not the old self. Now we have to wait for the results...

I didn't expect it to go like this....

I'm sorry to hear that. It's good she's in the care of professionals, though. If they can keep her calm at least for a day or two, that's 1-2 days less before she can go home. I have a feeling the high blood pressure, racing pulse and headache is coming from an increasing amount of stress (which will do that to a person when they're under a lot of pressure). She should definitely been tested again, but this time for a more specific diagnosis. If they test her for physical 'health', if she has already been deemed as "healthy", then the docs are just wasting their time.

You know, there was this one point in June when my mom flipped on me and I mean to the point where I was frightened over worrying about what was really going on. I don't live with her at home so I don't see or hear everything that happens. She's a healthy woman physically, but is increasingly stressed due to her husband who tends to drop all his stress on her. This specific incident in June stemmed from guilt from not being able to see her father as much (he's getting old, in his late 80s) and the fact that she lost her adopted mom when she was 18 (she also had made plans with her real mom whom she has grown attached to since we first met them). Turns out, she was just stressed because the plans she made were ruined when my step father decided to switch things on her. She wanted me to come along on this road trip down to California because she didn't want me to regret never seeing my family. It all made sense when she finally spilled the beans, but it wasn't any kind of physical disorder. She's just incredibly stressed and thinking about the past and the future and trying to make everything work, so much so that she'll make herself sick and take it out on us (me and my brothers).

There was another time when she got wasted (that's her dealing with things she doesn't know how to control; we were leaving California the next day, leaving her family and she didn't want that). I was put in the position of having to knock some sense into her because she was acting like such a child. I told her I knew she misses her mom, but that she doesn't see me getting wasted and crying and making a ruckus just because I miss my dad and never get to see him (he lives in California too and we live in Oregon).

I'm just using these examples as a possible connection to anything you're experiencing with your mother; though she seems to be taking out her stress in different ways. I just hope that things will get better for her and I'll advise you not to get too worked up over it (I know, easier said than done). If it is some kind of medical condition or psychological disorder, that doesn't mean she has to suffer. It's just a matter of exposing the truth and treating it properly.

There are a few things that come to mind after reading this thread. I feel that there has to be some underlying factor involved. No one just cracks like that for no reason.
I feel for your situation, so just know that I am only telling you my rationale.

1. She may be hiding something, which could be followed by some guilt or dread that is making her act the way she has.

2. She may have always had a psychological problem and it has been re-triggered by recent events.

3. She may be doing something and hiding it at the same time, causing paranoia and mood-swings.

It could be one, two, or all three of these things. I would suggest someone figure out any external causes rather than do brain scans. Don't leave it totally to the professionals,, they tend to mislead the situation.

I'm starting to think it might be stress, she also wants to do everything so well for me since she didn't get it from her parents (she went to a foster family when she was 9) she does take medicines for depression. And she might have gotten stressed because we don't have a good bonding at all. And the stress from vacation might have triggered it.

My mom returned early so didn't stay for the night at all, she ws dazed because of the medicines at first and she looked ' fine.' but now (3am) she's keeping everybody away since she is screaming in the bedroom, she lay on the floor screaming how big God was and repeated over and over again, what's happening, whats happening! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
My dad and I are forced to do something else now and I'm sure our friends hear it as well since it's really loud.

Out of the results it seemed she was healthy, we had to pay 520 dollars for this... and now actually nothing happened.
My dad tries to phone the emergency line in Holland now, what else can we do.

My dad is cursing already and I feel like screaming and crying.
kshfksejrhkj

Hmm.. now that you mention it, this has to be one of these things: she's either trying for attention, trying to get a point across, or she may just be letting go of some good old fashioned guilt/stress/etc. thats been following her. What I said before could be root causes, but one of these things hit the nail on the head in this immediate situation,, I've been in circumstances loosely like this one. Don't cry or scream just yet just go with it and see where it leads. If she hasn't had a long history of this than it shouldn't end up too bad.

I've heard from my dad now as well that she hadn't taken some kind of medicine for a month, she should have taken like 2 or 3 a day but always did 1 or none. I hope it was just that and when she takes it for a few days again, that it gets better.
Right now there's not many change, my dad is exhausted from talking all night to her or else she would start screaming again, she is trying to fight against her panic attacks though but it doesn't help. My dad did promise me to go back to Canada next year, just the two of us, because we are only counting down of going home now. *sighs*

She gotten really aggressive, she is bleeding, destroyed things in the room and kicked my dad real hard a few times, she is screaming demonicly that he is a bastard and that he has to die, that she has to die and that we have to kill her, we dunno what to do anymore.

Sounds like she's needing some professional help or medication, or both. In any case, it sounds like it's getting way out of control at this point and that there isn't much you or your father can do unless you guys send her back to the hospital for the remainder of the time.

Everyone is scared right now, there are kids here as well and heard her making weird sounds as well.
My dad is arranging that they can go home earlier and I stay longer, but I don't feel like it anymore. I think after arranging a trip back, he will call the ambulance to pick her up because she just doesn't stop, she laughs evilly and makes the weirdest noises as if she is possessed by a demon. Then she cries again and then laughs demonicly. At least someone came home from work now so we are not alone in this anymore.

take her to a doctor. this sounds like it has gone completely out of control. she needs help from a professional, she is causing immense distress for everyone around her.

We took her to the hospital again, she calmed down there and slept finally but when she woke up she started again, she was talking in a creepy voice and did respond sometimes to what we said, other than that she repeated stuff and did weird things with her tongue. 0.o

If the doctors haven't found anything (eg tumours) she could just be insane. It's a last resort, but it could be the asylum for her.

She could be schizophrenic or coming down with some form of dementia. Even alzheimers.
So she needs to be evaluated by a psychiatrist.

I am sorry for you. I hope it works out.

Right now she is sleeping a lot and she seemed to have been calmed down more, only we are not sure that we can leave tomorrow.

Luckily the doctors know everything in Holland about the situation so I think when we get home we'll hear what they want us to do. (psychologist, or psychiatrist, or more treatment in the hospital than was already planned) Right now we don't know that much yet, we are still waiting for a phone call.

Edit: We can't leave tomorrow, we'll hear monday what we'll have to do and when we can leave.

Last edited:
Back