Staff member
Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Chocobo Egg
Shiva Snowflake
Hi, don't mind my boring inner mom coming out, but how good are you guys at cleaning?

I've spent the last two days doing some deep cleaning within our house, including our basement to make it more livable and less spidery. I've been trying to put things away (baby things, mostly) that we won't need for a few years - Tubs, labels, the whole shebang! I'm so sore today! But we also had some friends come over so I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the places that we don't normally clean, including a few places I embarrassingly neglect for long periods of time.

So, to make myself feel better, how good are you guys when it comes to cleaning?

Do you keep your surroundings picked up fairly well or do you live in unfathomable filth?
How often you clean? Throughout the day? Or maybe once a week/month/year(??)
How long do you let dishes pile up? Or do you use disposable cutlery? savages
What's the dirtiest area in your home right now? What needs to be cleaned?
On a scale of 1 - 10 how boring of a topic is this?
Do you put your game discs back into their correct cases? ( :thehell: )
How many junk drawers do you have? (Yes, you know what I'm talking about.)
What's your least favorite thing to clean? 🚽

I've tried keeping charts, cleaning schedules, etc., but I always seem to fall back into a pattern of just spot cleaning the house until we have company over.... which then results in a 4-hour cleaning panic. 😅 I do really like things organized despite all the dust bunnies though - I feel like everything needs a place. If a closet gets too messy I'll sit down and tear it apart until everything has been gone through, organized or tossed out. But despite being a bit lax when it comes to dusting I do find myself picking up the house a lot. I can't stand visually seeing a mess. The kitchen counter especially - It's my biggest pet peeve. I hate it when it's messy & cluttered - especially right after I've just cleaned it.

Anyway, sorry for the boring topic, I'm sure most of you really don't care that much! But whether you answer them all or not, I'm still curious how disciplined you guys are about your cleaning/organizing habits.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get into my PPE (4 Strength 4 Stam) and tackle the sludge monster in the basement. Stay clean, my friends! 🥽🧽🧼

I try to keep my area clean mainly because I don't like the feeling of having to rush to clean whenever an event comes up. With that said I usually clean for about 1-2 hours once a week in different areas just to keep everything looking decent. That way when I do have guests and I do need to clean it doesn't take very long since I'm mostly going over what I already did previously.

Dishes I try to knock those out ASAP. I don't like the idea of letting dishes stay in the sink for long.

The dirtiest area in my home is probably the storage area in the basement. There's a lot of stuff in there that needs to be sorted.

As for rating the topic it's not the most boring topic ever. It's gotten a post out of me after all. :P

In regards to game cases I don't use game cases anymore. I have a CD wallet and store all of my game/movie cases away just in case a time comes where I may need to sell them so it can increase their value. Hopefully not.

Junk drawers? I have... 8 so far. Most are game/movie related but I do use 1 or 2 for some more knickknack items I have.

Least favorite area? I'd say the kitchen but even then it's not that bad since I usually keep on top of it once every 2 weeks or so.

As a big fan of tidiness, the thread is a solid score! If you think your thread is boring, wait for this reply haha.

I currently live at home with my fiancée whilst we're sorting our mortgage for our first house (hopefully, early 2020), so I've always been respectful when it comes to tidiness of other peoples' houses. It terms of tidiness, the house is clean most of the time as everyone tidies after themselves, which is made much easier as everyone is an adult. Untidiness doesn't bother me on any irksome level, it's just something I much prefer - I'm not on an OCD level, but I do like things neatly put away simply on the grounds that it makes items easier to find when they're needed later.

We don't have any particular schedule in our house as people will clean generally as and when they feel it needs doing, which tends to be a little more frequently, but less vigorously as then it never gets too messy to begin with. When I'm at home in the evening, I choose to do the washing, so the pots NEVER pile up; all pans will be rinsed and soaked on the side whilst I eat, then everything will be properly washed and dried afterwards. The kitchen is probably my least favourite place to clean as it can get the messiest in the shortest space of time - toilets at home don't really bother me as they're rarely that dirty to begin with. There are only two things that bother me, neither of which are rooms:

a) overflowing bins; my fiancée and I have a wicker waste paper in our bedroom in which she will always put items on top of the bin when full because she knows it irritates me haha, and;
b) leaving washing up in the sink. Don't do it. All it means is that I'll have to take everything out before I start washing - just leave it on the side!

At home now, the dirtiest room is probably the spare bedroom - which isn't really dirty, but more used as a storage room for my clothes. I tend to leave my suits laid on the bed for work as it's the bedroom I used to get ready for work at 06:00. I could store everything away, but it just means having to get everything back out the following morning. In terms of the wrong discs in game / blu-ray cases, it slightly depends on what I'm watching / playing. I normally only stick to one game at a time, but only ever swap between two games at any one time so if they're in the wrong case, it takes all of a second to switch them around - I often put a game in a blu-ray case when I'm watching a film, but they're always swapped back over at the end of the film.

Junk drawers are probably my weakest point, but that has changed over the last couple of months. I used to be a bit of a hoarder, but once my fiancée and I started the ball rolling on purchasing our future house, I started selling items off - due to space - as it eventually clicked that a lot of stuff I had, I'll probably never go back to. Any special edition / limited edition blu-rays I had went on eBay, other blu-rays I no longer had interest in went to either a relative or recommerce website, video games also went the same way. I have now narrowed down my blu-rays to almost exclusively Disney films (I own most - probably 50+ haha), Studio Ghibli and the odd 4K film I really enjoy. Overall, I think films probably occupy three drawers on a chest of drawers I still keep things like Studio Ghibli artbooks I purchased from Japan - even though I don't really do anything with them, they are beautiful. I do have a folder of Pokemon Evolutions XY Gen trading cards to sell off, then that will be it I think - no idea why I started collecting them to begin with. Probably random nostalgia. 🤣

What does help, ironically, is having two rabbits. It is not much of an issue now as they are in a large run in a spare room, but once we move out, they will be free roam in the house, so tidiness is enforced whether people like it or not; they're not rabbits that are overly fussed on chewing things, but I have previously lost a phone charger and two Macbook chargers because of leaving them on the floor, so having items tidied away is also a necessity as well as a desire - in the case of the Macbook chargers, also an expensive mistake. The only issue with our rabbits will be fur - they're litter trained so that is not an issue - they both tend to have deep shedding cycles during the year. We'll be getting laminate flooring downstairs though, so regular hoovering will be the only think required for them.

In our new house, I'll probably do a house clean once a week just to keep on top of things, but more or less everything else above will likely still apply.

If and when we have children, you can disregard every single word above haha.

Do you keep your surroundings picked up fairly well or do you live in unfathomable filth? We try to keep things fairly clean but with two adults who work full-time jobs and three small children who are like tornadoes, it's kind of difficult. We often result to spot-cleaning also and then rushing to get things really clean when we have someone over.

How often you clean? Throughout the day? Or maybe once a week/month/year(??) We usually do some cleaning on the weekends.

How long do you let dishes pile up? Or do you use disposable cutlery? savages We do dishes every night so those don't pile up. Luckily we have a dishwasher so we just fill it up and then run it when we have no more dishes left.

What's the dirtiest area in your home right now? What needs to be cleaned? Downstairs den. It's where most of the kids' toys are and it gets pretty messy.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how boring of a topic is this? It's not that bad. :P

Do you put your game discs back into their correct cases? ( :thehell: ) Sometimes.

How many junk drawers do you have? (Yes, you know what I'm talking about.): Three.

What's your least favorite thing to clean? Tub. I'm short so it's difficult to stretch far enough to get the whole thing.

Back