Clarification of the Story?

Gil
Clarification of the Story? (Spoilers)

FFX is my absolute favorite of the series, but it's been about three or four years since I beat it. (As an aside, FFXIII isn't as bad as everyone says it is; FFX was just as linear but the gameplay and characters and story were just that much better)

To prep myself for the FFX HD re-release, I'd like to get a refresher on some things:

-How did Yevon (the religion) start? I know Yunalesca "created" Sin by sacrificing one of her guardians (was it Yu Yevon?), and Sin is the center of Yevon, but I'm fuzzy on the details.

-Yu Yevon is a parasite, seeking immortality by possessing the final aeons and creating the shell of Sin around that raw power (that IS how it works, right?)

-Okay, so Jecht was sucked 1000 years into the future by what? Sin or the future Fayth? Then Jecht came back to get Tidus but Tidus was a dream of the Fayth anyway? Question: was Tidus EVER a real person?

-Do you pronounce Tidus Tide-us or Teedus? Whatever the answer is I'm always going to say Tide-us.

-How/when/where did Seymour's mother become Anima? And is Anima technically his Final Aeon?

-What created the Fayth wall?

-Okay, so summoners pray to the Fayth to receive their Aeons, and the Fayth's intent is to end the cycle of death and destruction caused by Sin by killing the aeons once and for all thereby robbing Yu Yevon of his power? But somewhere down the line Summoners sacrifice a guardian to create a Final Aeon or is that just a trick of Yunalesca to keep the cycle going? So confused. >.>

------------------

eh, that's enough questions for one post, thanks.

I'd just like to say that FFX was always the quintissential FF for me, and the story had such surprising depth once you get past Tidus' and Yunas' love plot (which was nice in itself, but not the main point in my opinion). You have themes of patricide, deacide, arguments for and against religion, a big argument against sacrifice, technology vs spiritualism, the huge "is death the point of life?" question, etc etc. I love it.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
1. How is any religion created? People write a book and people follow it word for word, except for the parts they choose they don't want to follow.

For in depth info on Yevon (also known as Yu Yevon) Check here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yevon

2. I'm pretty sure Grand Maester Mika said "He who crafts the souls of the dead into unholy armor. An armor called Sin. Clad in it, Yu Yevon is invincible." Yu Yevon is Lady Yunalesca's father. Every time a Summoner destroyed Sin, the Aeon used for the Final Summoning would be possessed by Yu Yevon and used to rebuild Sin. Due to the absence of Sin's destructive abilities while Yu Yevon was rebuilding his armor, the period of time after its defeat was known as the Calm. Yu Yevon continued to use this process to renew Sin time and time again, with the Calm being the only motivation for new summoners to undertake the pilgrimage.

3. The way I thought of it was: There never was a 'time-travelling' side of the storyline in the game. Tidus was a dream of the fayth, so his memory of 'his' Zanarkand was also a dream of the fayth (same deal with Jecht). The Fayth used Tidus as a weapon against Sin, using his emotions against the destruction of Zanarkand as a drive. Does this make sense? Anyway, no. Tidus was never a real person.

4. I say Tide-us. But in the bonus DVD that came with some copies of FFX his voice actor pronounces it 'Tee-dis' chance are, he's right.

5. How? The same way Jecht became Braka's, in Zanarkand. When? Who knows. Where? Zanarkand. and yes, Anima is his Final Aeon though was never actually used against Sin.

6. After Zanarkand's defeat at the hands of Bevelle, Yu Yevon, the ruler of Zanarkand, was at a loss. His summoners defeated, the Bevelle army was marching up the slopes of Mt. Gagazet towards the city of Zanarkand. Yevon converted those of his people still alive into fayth and placed them on a wall on Mt. Gagazet and then used these new fayth to summon a dream world modeled after Zanarkand. With the power of the fayth's dream, he summoned all of the buildings and all of the people who had lived there. This dream Zanarkand was meant to "preserve" Zanarkand for all time. After this Yu Yevon summoned an armor around itself and created Sin.

7. In a nutshell, yes. Except for that last bit. Yunalesca wasn't trying to keep up a charade, she legitimately thought that was only way to get rid of Sin, though for a short time, she thought it was worth it. Upon learning of the futility of the Pilgramage, Yuna refuses to support Yevon's false traditions in spite of Yunalesca's remonstrances that it would bring hope to the people of Spira. Yunalesca decides to 'save' Yuna from her own sorrow by granting her the peace of death; the guardians fight back, and Yunalesca is seemingly killed.

Some great questions in there. Thanks for asking ;)

Obviously this whole thread has spoilers

I haven't played in years- but I remember that Jecht (as sin) pulled tidus from dream world into "reality" but how did Jecht get pulled into "reality"?

Jecht touched Sin who transported him into the real world.

Yu Yevon created sin, but it was Yunalesca and the leaders of Bevelle who created the religion. Yunalesca is the only one who can stop Sin, she tells that to the leaders of Bevelle and they create the religion of Yevon.
There is no time travelling, the Zanarkand Tidus and Jecht were from was in the present, it wasn't 1000 years in the past. And it was somewhere out at sea.

Ahh, so the Zanarkand Tidus is from is the Fayth's dream world of the present, gotcha. Thanks guys!

One more question though: if Yu Yevon created the Fayth wall, and the Fayth were created specifically to stop Sin, why did Yu Yevon just skip creating the Fayth and create Sin in the first place? Because then there would be no cycle?

Jecht touched Sin who transported him into the real world.

Yu Yevon created sin, but it was Yunalesca and the leaders of Bevelle who created the religion. Yunalesca is the only one who can stop Sin, she tells that to the leaders of Bevelle and they create the religion of Yevon.
There is no time travelling, the Zanarkand Tidus and Jecht were from was in the present, it wasn't 1000 years in the past. And it was somewhere out at sea.

There isn't time traveling- except that the dream world is set 1000 years in the past. How did a dream Jecht touch a real sin to get pulled into Spira?

There isn't time traveling- except that the dream world is set 1000 years in the past. How did a dream Jecht touch a real sin to get pulled into Spira?
There never was a time travel side of the story. The Fayth created Tidus and Jecht as a dream, so I'm guessing that their memories and the events of what happened in Zanarkand at the beginning were also 'dreams', meaning they never happened.
The only reason The Fayth dreamt this was so that Tidus would have real emotions/motive to be used against Sin/Jecht.

And yea, there are spoilers in this thread :whistle2:
However if someone clicks into a thread titled "Clarification of the Story?" and is NOT expecting spoilers, they're an idiot....

So does anyone know how/why Jecht went from dream world to real world?
*facepalm*
Jecht, like Tidus, was never in the past. The Fayth dreamt up Jecht and Tidus and used them as a weapon against Sin. It's a confusing as hell storyline but believe it or not, they do actually answer all of this in the game... Unlike FFVII, where after 20 years they're still trying to tell the story.

Jecht was Blitzball training out at sea and accidently came into contact with Sin. Sin transported Jecht to the Spiran mainland, it was accidental, not by design.
Tidus was also transported by Sin, but that was on purpose, as Sin was Jecht and Auron helped get him there.

*facepalm*
Jecht, like Tidus, was never in the past. The Fayth dreamt up Jecht and Tidus and used them as a weapon against Sin. It's a confusing as hell storyline but believe it or not, they do actually answer all of this in the game... Unlike FFVII, where after 20 years they're still trying to tell the story.

I never said he came from the past *facepalm*.

When did the game talk about the fayth dreaming up jecht to be a weapon against sin? And how did they get dream jecht into the real world?

I never said he came from the past *facepalm*.

When did the game talk about the fayth dreaming up jecht to be a weapon against sin? And how did they get dream jecht into the real world?
Not in as many words, no, you didn't.

Anyway. "Dream Jecht" was training out at sea when he went to have a rest on a small island, little did he know that said island was, in fact, Sin. And 'pop' Jecht was 1000 years into the future... Somehow :hmmm:

Back