Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
I haven't been paying attention to the Nintendo Direct event because I didn't think it would have anything to do with me. However, I woke up with the news that Chocobo GP, a sequel to the PSX classic Chocobo Racing, has been announced with a release date set for 2022.

It is to be a Switch exclusive, so that is the only downside (from my point of view, being without a Switch). Still, this might be enough to tempt me to buy a Switch at a reduced price somewhere someday.

Here is a trailer:

A few amazing things to focus on:
Playable characters include Vivi, Gilgamesh and Steiner!
It is blink and you miss it in the trailer, but people have screenshotted this to show that, yes, these characters are in it.

I mean, Steiner has an awesome horsey-themed car! It'll get rusty in that rain though.
FAAscOOUcAEfrcx.jpg

In addition to various tracks from the original game, new tracks include Alexandria (FFIX), Gold Saucer (FFVII) and Zozo (FFVI).

FAAJsWiUcAY6LMg.jpg
FAAJrtQVQAQinEV.jpg

Looks like Square Enix are following Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled by having customisable cars/skins, etc. Vivi can be seen riding an Oglop Regent Cid vehicle at some point.

FAAcnw2UYAQR2KS.jpg

So... What do you think about this?

If interested, what are your hopes for it? It is interesting that we can already see multiple FFIX characters, so hopefully the other games will receive equal treatment. If so, that would be amazing!

Vivi-Gamer

Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
I REALLY hope this gets a PS4 release, S-E have been quite generous in spreading their ports onto other systems the last few years so one can hope.

Surprised to see Steiner of all things, even Vivi in replacement for a generic black Mage is a treat!

Here's a shot of ol' Gil:
1632551373714.png

Last edited:

Miko

Staff member
Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
D'agger Tribal
FFXIV Server
Lamia
It's been forever since I've played Chocobo Racing. I'm actually excited to try and get my son into this, I think he'll really enjoy it. It's nice to see FFIX getting a little more TLC as well since it always seems like the other games get a bit more love - Vivi's Cid-Oglop car is honestly very cute, as is Steiner's! And while I hope for others sake that this game is released on other platforms, the Switch makes sense to me & I'm excited to kick my kid's butt at a racing game :8F:

I hate that DLC is so common place these days, especially when it feels like some games get released as an 'incomplete game' (I'm still mad about Animal Crossing), I can see where Chocobo GP could benefit later on from other DLC drops for other characters/tracks later on possibly. That said, hope there's more FFIX cast in the game, but happy to see Steiner & Vivi at the very least.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
I like the look of Gilgamesh in this! It looks like he'll have a custom ability too using his swords, which suggests to me that racers might have unique abilities in addition to the regular track power-ups.

As for DLC, I would rather it not be DLC... But something like the Grand Prix (or whatever) system from Crash Nitro-Fueled might be cool. With that system as new track and new skins, etc, were released every month and people could race to earn in-game currency and exp in order to unlock these items. That encourages gameplay, keeping the game active for a while, whilst also not needing people to pay actual money in order to unlock them. Of course some people paid actual money in order to quickly gain this in-game currency, but it was never needed.

I suppose with an FFVI track being in this game (Zozo) we could expect some FFVI characters at least. Terra and Locke seem to be safe choices, but I would love to see a wildcard character. Since we have Steiner for FFIX, I don't think that is impossible.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon

Ilyena

The mighty arms of Atlas
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Ilyena Frost
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I saw this the other day and I'm really excited. I never actually played Chocobo Racing but I've been addicted to Switch lately and this looks like fun. Also, my kiddos are really into Mario Kart and it will be nice to have another racing game in the rotation. I'm especially excited to see the love for FFIX.