Multiple Platforms Cave Story

Cecil Strife

A.K.A. Cecil Strife
Gil
Mako Points
Many people have heard of Cave Story: a freeware computer game that was recently remade onto the Nintendo Wii's Wiiware. Cave Story's graphics might be simple and out of it's time, but it's story is compelling, intresting, and very in depth (and almost RPG-like), and the gameplay is challenging and addictictive.

Cave Story was first released in 2004 (?) by a single person who calls himself, "Pixel". It is very much like the 2-D Metroid games in gameplay. You can explore tons of places, it's a side-scrolling shooter, multiple weapons ect. (But I like Cave Story MORE.)

There are three endings, and choices you make effect which one you get. A simple decision in text (Yes/No) can change wether a character dies or lives. It's hard to believe one person made a game this great.

If you plan all your decisions right, you can gain access to Cave Story's insanely hard hidden final dungeon. (Beating it is required to get the best ending.) I'm not just saying that either. I'll type what the sign at the very beggining of the dungeon says.

"Welcome to Hell!"

Welcome to hell indeed...your going to need a crapload of skill and luck to get through.

So, get this game now. It's completely free on the internet, and twelve dollars for Wiiware. So anyone else play this game? What's your opinion on this game.
Your free to share your Sacred Grounds (Blood-Stained Sanctuary for Wiiware) times here to!

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Eleanor Blackfeather
FFXIV Server
Balmung
Ah, Cave Story currently rests on my PSP. I'm up at the part where where Curly gives you her bubble thing and you can either save her, or leave her for dead. Unfortunately, I've forgotten to pick up the tow rope, so I had no choice but to leave her.

So, I'm probably going to restart my game. Cave Story is quite an amazing game, and has often been declaimed as the best freeware indie game ever made. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good game to play.

It's fun, challenging, and it really does have a compelling story.
The part where you get back to the surface after being put in the labyrinth and the man asks you to give Curly his regards is heartbreaking if you didn't save her.

Cecil Strife

A.K.A. Cecil Strife
Gil
Mako Points
Now that I think about it, this thread should go in the "Multiple Platforms" section since it is available for PC, Wiiware, and Dsiware. Anyone who can is free to put it there.

I'm currently stuck on the hidden final boss. I've mastered the dungeon, but the boss just crushes me. (Unless I get lucky, get to his final form, THEN he crushes me.)

Cave Story also has 3 bonus modes. I got the normal ending and none of them unlocked, so I'm assuming you have to finish the hidden dungeon.

One mode lets you play through the story as Curly Brace, the story's heroine, second only to the amnesiac main character.
I'm pretty sure another has to do with Balrog, one of the game's awesome villians. (He's a talking soap/toaster/lunchbox/TV/cube-shaped thingy.
The last one I'm unsure about. Have fun with Cave Story!

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Eleanor Blackfeather
FFXIV Server
Balmung
So... I'm at the secret level. Never before, in my life, have I raged so hard at a fucking video game. Seriously, you thought the Hidden Cave was hard? FUCK. THAT.

This place makes the Hidden Cave look like a walk in the motherfucking park. I've counted how many times I've died, it's 34 so far, and I'm sure I'm about to work up on 34 more. -__-