Serious Career Advice

blakstang98

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
I'm not sure if this forum got any older from back in the days when I was more active, and if it has, maybe you can help me.

So I've been working at my current job for 5+ years. It's a solid job and I've really had very few bad days of work. It was even a good escape from when things at home were chaotic (like when we bought our current house, what a disaster that was). In May of last year, my boss unexpectedly passed away. Since then, our department has been in disarray. It's led to some annoying moments. Luckily for me, I help out in another department, which so happened to be really busy for the last year. To be frank, working that department is better these days. I will, however, be returning to my original, managerless department soon.

So I did just touch on the 1st problem to arrive. After 14 months, we still don't have a manager. And unfortunately, this has led to lots of disagreements with the others. I understand that under the circumstances, we sort of had to gut through it without a manager because of the sudden passing. But after 14 months, you still haven't replaced him? Not to mention, there are 3 of us, and they are very adamant about replacing the manager with basically a carbon copy of him. It's a very niche industry and people with experience in this type of manufacturing, and finding someone who can step into that role isn't easy. Not to mention, one of us would be a better replacement than taking someone outside the company, showing them the ropes, then they have to run the show. I haven't been around for nearly the time to run the department, but it sets a bad precedent for when I do have the experience to take that role, should it come upon me. Basically, I feel like I've hit a dead end. I'm still young enough that I would like to believe that I can make it to the top in my department some day.

Another issue is the higher managements knack for thinking short-term, not long-term. To go with the above point, the higher-ups have this romantic idea that you should replace someone who retires with someone who's about to retire. Sort of this "you need to be an old bag to be trusted" mentality. The experienced people in this industry got their start somewhere. But they think you have to replace old with almost old. Considering I'm the youngest in my department, and not close to the "trusted" age, even more so I have no chance of getting anywhere.

And now the new wrinkle that just reared it's ugly head in the last month. Our company was bought out, by a larger blanket company who does work in our industry. It's still too soon to tell if this will be beneficial or not. They've bought other companies and kept their operations in place, without fussing with them too much. Obviously, the thing that goes through the minds of most people there is that they'll be replaced or they'll shut the doors. People are overall in a pretty grim mood. With this transaction though, a few morsels of information did come to life. For starters, the president of the company will be staying in his spot. And I hear that he will be retiring fairly soon. So maybe he'll be around to basically oversee the transition then ride off into the sunset. I also hear that they leased the building for 5 years (the former owner still owns the property). And the new company has no interest in buying the property because it's basically a superfund sight. This means in the next 5 years, the company could move. That's a huge mystery as to where they would move to. I guess that would depend on how niche our industry is and if it's worth keeping all of the experience around or if they believe they could just replace everyone with others they can train up. A chance for new higher-ups arriving could be a good opportunity for me too.

So I'm on the fence. The last factor will either firmly keep me in or push me out. With the job market looking good these days, manufacturing experience under my belt, more money and a much easier commute at stake, is it worth searching? I don't know. I still like the job overall, but there are principles here to consider. So I'm torn. Work in a potential dead-end job that I'm satisfied with or take the risk of finding a job that's equally comfortable (though it would realistically be slightly worse) that I could achieve other desires like higher position, higher pay and less frustration on the commute?

What do you think?

I'm not good on advice and such like, but since it sounds like you're asking whether or not searching for other opportunities is a good idea or not, it would seem that keeping one's options open is never a bad thing. It never hurts to look, you're not really risking anything by simply searching and if something does turn up and you land that opportunity, you can always turn it down if your current situation still seems preferably to you. You'll only be able to find out what's the most beneficial to you by looking into other options and getting a feel for what else is out there. Having all your eggs in one basket does however seem risky so it might be worth the search especially if you have good financial stability at the moment. Hope your work situation gets sorted and you land on your feet running. One of the pieces of advice given to me in regards to career choices was "Make brave decisions and live boldly so you don't regret the things you don't do or the missed opportunity". Good luck!

Back