Buying music

GBJoker

Banned
Gil
Thought I'd start my first ever thread.

Where do you go to buy your music?

I frequently visit a store near me called "Slackers." They have half way decent selection, and mostly used stuff, so I can buy the old music that I actually like. I go no where else though. I don't even use my discount at Wal Mart to buy music, since they only offer crap at my store.

I'm also partly asking this question for selfish reasons. I've recently gotten into J-Pop a bit, but I can't find hardly any at all. Only a few internet radio stations that do mostly anime soundtracks, which I don't much care for unless I've actually seen the anime. So I'm wondering where to listen to and buy music, specifically J-Pop stuffs. (Yes, "stuffs" is a word.)

Well I have an IPod so I go to a store that has itunes XD. As far as CD's/ etc go I dont really buy unless I like the whole CD what's the point if I can just buy it in itunes?

I go to two or three shops, either HMV on Oxford Street, a small independent place called Sister Ray in Soho, or a place called Fopp near to where I work, which often does CDs (especially back catalogue ones) at great prices. I'll occasionally use Amazon or Play too online. I still like to buy CDs and go to record stores, buying stuff on iTunes etc just takes the fun out of it for me. I admit I'm a minority in that though.

As for stuff like J-Pop, maybe something like Play Asia or even eBay.

If I feel like dumping my money into the black hole of greedy producer executives and MAFIA lawyer clans, I'll just buy a CD off of Amazon or whatever local CD store I can find. 99% of the time though I'll either get the song off of Youtube or use a great mp3 search engine I know of to get a free recording of just about any widely produced song in existence. And of course there is always torrents, but I've tended to avoid them completely now thanks to my college generally being an arse if they catch you using one.

I do most of my music shopping online at shadowkingdomrecords.com these days. They have an excellent selection in the genres of music that I like, great prices, and quick delivery. If they don't have what I am after, I'll usually try some other online distro.

I usually go to Sanity, HMV and JB Hi-Fi.

Though I will only ever go there if I can't find the CD's I'm after at Big W or Kmart etc.

The first three stores I mentioned are all about DVD's and CD's so you're bound to find what you're after there, only at a much dearer price.

Though JB Hi-Fi actually is pretty decent with prices. There just isn't one local that I can go to all the time.

I usually go to Sanity, HMV and JB Hi-Fi.

Though I will only ever go there if I can't find the CD's I'm after at Big W or Kmart etc.

The first three stores I mentioned are all about DVD's and CD's so you're bound to find what you're after there, only at a much dearer price.

Though JB Hi-Fi actually is pretty decent with prices. There just isn't one local that I can go to all the time.

I love JB Hi-Fi! Whenever I do go to a brick and mortar store, that's always the place I go. The prices are good and the selection is always excellent. I used to like Muses as well, but in these last couple of years they seem to have morphed into a store that's more interested in selling Green Day hoodies than quality music.

Buying musical physically isn't what it's all about these days, unless you're an avid vinyl-spinner. iTunes will do for me everytime, simple & easy. Saying that, I seldom BUY music. Much more rather spend the money on going to see my favourite acts live.

HMV is the only music shop left in Carlisle now (excluding supermarkets), so it's usually there. Lately, I've been using play.com a lot more simply for the wider range they have. HMV is progressively getting worse for music these days.

Back when I lived in Rhode Island, I used to frequent a place called Newbury Comics for my CD's. CD's were always way cheaper there than going to Best Buy or something of the like. These days in Connecticut, I go to FYI for my CD's. They're not nearly as cheap as they are at Newbury Comics though, and I don't know of one in this area.

And yes, because I'm an old man and all, I still buy CD's. I don't have an iTunes account and I very rarely download music. The only things I ever download are songs by bands I don't like (I'll find a song here and there that I like, but wouldn't spend the money to buy the CD) or ones that are obnoxiously hard to find a CD for (even then I can usually find it on Amazon).

I don't usually buy physical CDs. I just bought a truck-load of them, but that's because I had a Barnes & Noble gift card that I wasn't going to spend on books.

I've actually been using the Walmart website, simply because I couldn't use iTunes for a while because the format wasn't compatible with the mp3 player I had. I think they just have normal mp3 files now though, and even if they didn't, I could just put the songs on a CD then rip them...

I need to get iTunes.

Since most music stores nowadays only sell very mainstream crap (nothing wrong with liking pop music, but a music store that only has a some greatest hits albums of Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers and U2 in their rock section is nota music store worth visiting, for everyone), I go to big music story in a city a small bus ride away when I want to browse albums. They have a lot of stuff in many genres, so I'll often take something interesting home when I go there. But sometimes even this store doesn't have the album I want, so I'll just order it online, mostly at the site of a Dutch online book store which also sells cd's (and has a incredibily huge collection, especially for a book store).

Hm, I usually buy albums I really like at a store called Free Record Shop, they usually have these flashy things around. Or SecondSound, that's pre-owned albums, and also the "non-famous" band albums are sold there. :D

Gotta say that I download more then I actually go to a store though.

Still having to ship that You Me At Six album over to the land of Dutchness. :D

I generally use the iTunes store to browse for something I like and buy a couple of songs to see how much I like them. If I like them quite a bit I'll go out and buy them from JB-Hi-Fi who have quite a selection. It's also the closest place that has a decent selection. However if I'm in town I'll go to Real Groovy because I know the daughter of the guy that owns it. :rage: He doesn't give me discounts though.

HMV mostly, I liek the 2 for a tenner deal. It's good :ryan: Infact, Im pretty sure that's the ONLY place I buy my music from actually.... I trekked into Manchester city cntre a while back to do somer shopping and i STILL bought CD's from there -__-

HMV, Tesco and Asda. The supermarkets are the best for getting new music as the CDs are so cheap compared to big music shops. If its an oldie I want, then Ill try online, then HMV XD

Hm, I usually buy albums I really like at a store called Free Record Shop, they usually have these flashy things around. Or SecondSound, that's pre-owned albums, and also the "non-famous" band albums are sold there. :D

Only 1% of the albums I want to buy can be found at the Free Record Shop, I usually don't even visit it anymore when I'm looking for a cd.

I tend to only buy CDs that I really, really want from an artist I really, really like. Apart from that, I download songs that I like instead.

Back