Blind Or Deaf?

Casanova

I'm nothing but a beast
Veteran
Gil
Hypothetically speaking, would you rather be blind or deaf?

I'd rather be blind any day of the week. Simply because I wouldn't be able to hear music if I was deaf, and music would definitely come before sight if I absolutely had to choose.

What about you lot? :cassy:

Blind. Even though im pretty much half way there already apparently. When your deaf you can't hear music (bad times), but when your blind you can't see how ugly the bint at the bar is (good times).

I'd rather be deaf. Although I love music, I think I'm much more reliant on my sight than my hearing. If I were deaf I wouldn't know what I was missing out on, so it wouldn't be all that bad.

Definitely deaf. I too, am also reliant on my sight. If there are any danger around me, I would be able to see what's going on. Sure, hearing can be a keen sense as well, but seeing would surpass hearing any time of day for me. I also wouldn't be able to stand seeing pitch black for the rest of my life. I need colors and seeing the faces of my loved ones.

To me, being blind comes with the feeling of being helpless, as you would have to slowly walk your way through things, making sure you're going the right way. I would be so stressed out. =/ I don't wanna have to rely on people, to be honest. And being deaf...well, there's always sign language. I would still be able to communicate with others one way or another. Sure I love music, but I can live without that as it would seem so minor compare to something as big as sight.

I'm torn. The whole "I wouldn't be able to hear music" argument is pretty much what I have for wanting to be blind. But if I were blind, I highly doubt I'd be able to learn to read Breille to replace sight.
But similarly, if I were deaf I doubt I'd be able to learn sign language. =/

As much as I love music, Id rather be deaf, there's alot more I rely on my sight for than my lugs. I could still read, draw, play the old PS2, post away on here or just browse the internets in general. I think it would be far too lonely being blind, sure you can talk to people and you can learn braile listen to music but everything would just be black (I assume) all the time

You have to rely more on people being blind I think. God no, I'd hate it

It's horrible being either but if I had to choose between the 2, I'd want to be deaf rather than blind. To me being blind would be horrible and would deem me unable to play my videogames anymore (which is my greatest hobby), I don't even want to think about it. At least if I were deaf rather then blind I could still play and see the games I love. But still with the music gone..... goddamn.

Poor blind and deaf people, it must be rough.

Condolences to anyone who has blind or deaf relatives.

Definitely deaf. Sure, I'd be missing music, as many have stated, but I could still do so much. And I could easily ignore the old biddies and chav music on the bus!

Sign language looks fun to learn, I could pick it up quite easily.

I'd rather be deaf. At least if I can still see, I can draw and do math. Even better, I don't have to answer the phone or put up with people whining. All the better.

Deaf tbh.
I could live without listening to music quite easily even though I'd miss it but I'd rather be able to see what I'm doing, where I'm going etc. Plus we are much more reliant on sight rather than hearing imho, and it would probably be a LOT harder to live and do everyday things without sight opposed to being deaf.

Out of the two, I'd much rather be deaf. If I was blind I'd have to rely on other people so much more, and the majority of things I enjoy doing - reading, gaming, computing, would just be lost forever.

And if I was deaf, I could still at least do those things, and still have some form of independence =]

Deaf, just because you get so much more out of life by seeing things.

if your blind you have to have someone walk you around and you wouldn't know what the heck was touching you.

imagine being both. you would have no idea because you were blind and deaf. you couldn't see people or hear them.

Blind
If I go into a forest or such, I can still hear the sweet noises of then wind blowing throught the tender leaves of trees, seeing doesn't always have to be believin'.
When I hear, I can imagine something in my mind. I can listen to music any time, I can sing (which I enjoy very much) and hear the voices of people close to me.
Plus I get a cute guide dog ^_^

Deaf, I refuse to be imprisoned inside everlasting shadows. :stare:
If I were deaf, I guess I would have an excuse to ignore some people :P
If I were blind, I wouldn't be able to gaze upon the wonders of nature! No drawing for me! No internet! No Video Games! AHHHHH!!! :gasp:

This isn't a hard decision in the least bit for me. I'd rather be deaf. As much as a life of utter silence would drive me up the wall, not being able to see would be 100x worse. Pitch blackness for the rest of your life.

I wouldn't want to be dependent on other people to do things for me either. If I were deaf, I could get by with relative ease. If I were blind, I'd have to have someone wipe my ass for awhile before I learned to take care of myself without being able to see. And even then, life would be boring as hell. I rely heavily on television, the internet and videogames for entertainment. I can flush those down the toilet if I go blind.

Well to tell you the truth I would prefer to be deaf cause I really love movies and I would some day want to make some of my own and it would be hard if I weas blind. I also like to draw, read and sometimes write but I also acknowledge the sacrifice that I wouldn't be able to listen to my favorite music but it could be worse right?

Hypothetically speaking, would you rather be blind or deaf?

I'd rather be blind any day of the week. Simply because I wouldn't be able to hear music if I was deaf, and music would definitely come before sight if I absolutely had to choose.

What about you lot? :cassy:
my thoughts exactly

MOD EDIT: Please put more effort into your posts, three words isn't going to suffice here. Avoid doing this again if you don't want an infraction for spamming. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather be Deaf. I don't view deafness as debilitating and such. I'd just switch over to a visual language and carry on with life. I already know American Sign Language and my immediate family members on my mother's side all know it, so I'm good.

If I were to lose my sight, I would have to make major adjustments to my life. I am not as familiar with the visually impaired community as I am with the Deaf community, so personally I'd be moreso at a loss.

If I was born into either scenario, it'd be a little different. I'd still rather be Deaf, but I wouldn't have to make such dramatic changes if I were visually impaired from birth.

Back