Birth of a Mascot -- Watch me create anime/manga characters for my original visual novel engine!

AuronX

aka LukeLC
Veteran
Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So as some folks around here know, I run a tech blog called ThinkBoxly which over the past year or two has been sort of shifting from a blog to more of a portfolio. As I work towards becoming an indie game developer myself, I have even published the dev tools I'm creating for other indie developers to use (and help fund my projects in the process) under the ThinkBoxly brand with the name Edge Engine. One of my most successful tools, Edge VN, a visual novel creation system, is about to hit the magic version 2.0, and for that I wanted to really create something special. After all, if I'm taking the time to revamp my code from the ground up, I also want to give my presentation an overhaul. Nothing says shiny and new like a change of appearance, and this being a visual novel engine, I decided I wanted to create not just new demo assets, but an original mascot character that could motivate me as I program and generate enthusiasm in others who might be interested in the finished product.

miki-day2.png

Meet Miki Tokimiya (aka Miki-Toki, since Japan likes abbreviations). She's my first totally original character that I've drawn, and what you see above represents about 8 hours of work so far. There's still a few things about the body and costume that need to be tweaked, but overall it's coming along quite well! Miki will also have a twin sister too, Mei Tokimiya, who will have a slightly different pose and color scheme when all's said and done.

But since this thread is supposed to be something of an art journal for this project, let's go back to the beginning.

For anyone who's curious, I'm doing this on an Asus T300 Chi tablet/laptop using Manga Studio (aka Clip Studio Paint). The Asus is actually pretty handy for this sort of thing, as not only does it support active styluses, but the keyboard itself is wireless, so I can keep it on my lap while the tablet is flat on my desk and hooked up to an external monitor on which I keep references while drawing.

With that said, onto the pics:

miki-concept.png

On day 1 I didn't actually do very much. I played around with hair and costume designs, most of which didn't even get kept on paper. I knew I wanted a simple hairstyle to spare myself as much pain as possible while also keeping it stylish and feminine and also a bit outlandish in the wonderful way anime hair tends to be. This ultimately didn't change a whole lot from my original concepts and I'm quite happy with the results.

Costume, on the other hand, has been toned down quite a bit. While I had originally envisioned something more sci-fi, it eventually simplified into pretty much your typical anime school uniform look. But this is all subject to change--I do have some plans to make things a little more interesting once I've settled on a final design.

miki-body.png

After letting the ideas sit for a while, on Day 2 came the body. I will admit I don't really have the knowledge to construct a full body pose on my own, so this is actually the result of about 10 references which I kept up on my main monitor and ultimately combined into a single pose. There are still bits of it that don't feel quite right, but on the whole for something so foreign to me I'm surprised it turned out at all. I even completely freestyled the hands, which took me a couple hours to really feel happy with. Definitely need more tutorials to fix that sort of ignorance in the future so my times will improve.

miki-face.png

Next came the face. I spent a while on this making sure the expression and style were just right. As a mascot character, Miki needs to be cute and enthusiastic and also of more or less indiscernable age/maturity. In the end I think I erred on the side of making her look rather young (which does go with the school getup of course) but I'd like to think she's still generic enough in the positive sense that she doesn't generate any of the wrong preconceived notions. This is the kind of character you want everyone to be able to love, after all.

miki-head.png

After that I tried out hair again and found that by some stroke of luck the hair concept I drew the night before was exactly the right perspective for the body model I ended up with. A few tweaks later and it was relatively easily done.

But then came the longer and harder part: the headphones. On top of saving me from having to draw ears (which incidentally would be much easier), I felt headphones would lend the impression that Miki is a bit of a techie person, which adds to her function as a mascot for a program. Headphones also imply music, so she and her sister could be thought of as virtual idols in a sense, not unlike Hatsune Miku or Super Sonico.

miki-day2.png

Lastly we have the costume, and this brings us back to where we started. About 8 hours in and I've done far more than I expected I'd be able to in that time frame, but the most critical work still lies ahead. While the sailor top and skirt were major hurdles to get over neither is final and I still have yet to decide what to do for her hands and feet. And of course once the costume is figured out I still have to fine-line the finished drawing, and then color and shade...and then do it all over again with Mei. But I look forward to all of it!

Well, I hope you enjoyed this little look into one of my projects. If so, I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with my progress as I go! Comments/critiques are welcome!

» Moved to the Artist Cafe «

Being an illustrator that specializes in the manga style and character designs, there are some things I personally would change or improve. But that's neither here nor there, because I think what you have is great. And based on how you're talking, you're not exactly used to/comfortable with all of the stuff such a goal tasked you with. With that in mind, this is already a rather fantastic outcome, and I look forward to seeing more of the work and changes you may make.

Being an illustrator that specializes in the manga style and character designs, there are some things I personally would change or improve.

Well hey, I'm open to any comments/critiques if you feel like sharing. Always happy to learn :)

I like the simple design you got going here, I think sometimes simple is better, even more so when you are going for a Manga/Anime style. I think alot of designers that use the style overdesign their characters, even anime creaters are guilty of this.

I would love to see a colour version of this. I think without the colour it hard to think what the full final design will be.

Finally kudos for EDGE, I seen it in the Gamemaker store and it looks really helpful xD

II would love to see a colour version of this. I think without the colour it hard to think what the full final design will be.

Finally kudos for EDGE, I seen it in the Gamemaker store and it looks really helpful xD

Thanks! And I definitely plan on seeing this one through to full color and shading and posting the results here :)

Now, update time! Special thanks to ZaXo Ken'Ichi for his tips and advice, I ended up implementing my own takes on quite a few of his suggestions and I'd say Miki is much better off for it.

Here she is as things stand now:

miki-day3.png

As you can see, a fair amount has changed from last time. I've thinned out her limbs a bit (which was the plan all along, I just got tired of body work :P ) and made some adjustments to the face and hair for the sake of perspective and generally refining the character.

But the biggest change is obviously the costume. I've backed off on the typical school look again and gone for something more pop idol-like, although it's a bit hard to see where it's going at this point. I have a final design in mind now, but I'm only about 30% of the way there. Plus until color and shading are added it won't be entirely clear what the design is supposed to be, period. The 'dress' you see right now is technically an illusion--eventually she will have a skirt again, and underneath the vest and skirt she'll be wearing a dark gray body suit. On top of that I'm going to give her some boots and fingerless gloves, plus work on the vest's style some more.

Still a ways to go, but getting there all the time!

Well, today's update will be a bit less exciting to look at, but still a major milestone nonetheless:

miki-day4.png

For the past couple of days I've focused mainly on tweaking all the small stuff, making sure everything I already had felt just right. Proportions and perspective are the primary name of the game here. At first glance the differences might not be obvious--but then, these are the sorts of things that are better off not noticed, otherwise there's probably still something wrong.

More significant additions/changes feature the ribbon on Miki's arm, completely redrawn (and redrawn and redrawn) headphones, and further stylization of the vest. I'm a little uncertain on it in its current state, but I think once the rest of the costume comes together it will better reflect the image I have in my head. Hopefully we'll find out soon, too, because costume is what I plan to focus on next. Stay tuned!

Sweetness! It's looking pretty excellent now! Those fine details and refinements are really adding up to something nice.

Thanks! The tips you gave me are continuing to be a huge help :)

Question though: what's your opinion on the current headphone band? Personally I feel it should be a little taller/higher off the head and have a longer section for size adjustment, but I've been looking at it so long now I'm not sure what to think :P

Thanks! The tips you gave me are continuing to be a huge help :)

Question though: what's your opinion on the current headphone band? Personally I feel it should be a little taller/higher off the head and have a longer section for size adjustment, but I've been looking at it so long now I'm not sure what to think :P

I think it looks perfect the way it is. If I were to add anything to it, I'd add some depth to the band by making it 3D, by drawing a parallel line directly below the bottom line of the band... if that makes any sense.

There actually is one already, but maybe the problem is that it isn't visible enough. I'll see what I can do!

Ahh, it might just be the low resolution of the image then. If it's there, there's no reason to fix it; I'm assuming you're working at a much higher canvas size than the examples you've shown, meaning it should show up there.

miki-day5.png

Today I was at last able to move on to other parts of the costume, and I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the results already. The headphones have been readjusted one last time (hopefully) and the other costume elements are really starting to come together. Finding a style that is both consistent and reflects the impression I want to create is proving a bit trickier than I imagined, but ultimately I think it will come down to color and shading for my mental image to really come out. Which should come along pretty soon at this point. Hopefully one more day will do it for costume work!

you should maybe do a game development thread showing different aspects of the game design process, I don't know if you are going to add her to a full game?

This character is just a mascot for the rewrite of my visual novel engine, but I do have a lot of other things in motion behind the scenes working towards a game of my own. Once that's ready to go public, I will definitely be doing some dev journaling and I could certainly discuss the process here as well :)

I'd say you're piecing together something pretty decent, so far. ^_^ Much better than what I could do, too. :lew:

I'll definitely be subscribing to this thread. I'm curious to see what this'll become.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

So, at last I do believe Miki's design can be considered finalized!

miki-day6.png

Not a whole lot has changed from last time, but if you look closely you might notice a couple things. First, Miki went on a bit of a diet :lew: Some of the proportions still didn't feel quite right to me, so I thinned her out a bit on the right side. Next I simplified the gloves into something more like what I'd imagine a pop idol (and not a biker) would wear. To better match this change, the boots also got trimmed and detailed a bit. It's still hard to see exactly how the costume will come together in color, but whatever happens I'll most likely roll with it at this point. Once I go over everything in (virtual) pen, there's no going back!

But wait, there's more! With Miki's design finalized, I was finally able to move on to part 2 of this work:

mei-day6.png

Introducing Miki's twin sister, Mei Tokimiya! While at first glance it may appear to be a simple invert, I've actually applied a number of subtle changes and will also be making some not-so-subtle ones soon. For now you'll notice that despite the flipped perspective Mei's bow is still on her left arm and her headphone cord is still on the right side--just like Miki. Her hair is also slightly longer in back and shorter in front, and of course she is a glasses girl too. Looking forward to working on adjusting her pose and then moving on to the final steps!

Back