Best story in a Final Fantasy

Summoner Yuna

The pirate and the princess
Gil
This is the official thread to vote for the FF you consider has the best story. Remember, this is not a thread to vote for your favorite FF game. Talk here about which FF story had the better characters, the better developed plot, better themes and dialogue, etc. So post your opinions about the plots on the different Final Fantasies.

In my opinion, the best story is between FFX and FFXII. FFX's story is so unique. It touches sensitive issues like religion, death, love. The character development is great for all the main characters. All of them evolved in some way or another. Wakka, for example, starts believing blindly in Yevon, but through the game he starts to see the truth to them. They all have very intriguing stories. I liked that the plot was narrated in medias res. It's a nice touch. The love story was equally moving. The final scene has to be one of the most emotionally charged moments in video games. As for FFXII, it has a superb political story with a lot of finesse and great dialogue. The characters did develop a fair bit. The villains were really interesting because their motivations were different from the usual "I am evil, I wanna conquer the world." I have to give my vote to FFX for sentimental reasons, but FFXII is its equal in every way.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to go with 10, as the story drives the gameplay. The majority of the game is Yuna's quest to defeat Sin. It's consistent, there are some good twists, and in the end everything is resolved.

No one game takes the cake for me

For best story and character development overall my vote goes to VI, the development of the main characters, the intriguing villain, and the wonderful music put nice tough on a great story.

The best and most unique story goes to X IMO, the world was amazing and very interesting...the characters keep the game down a little bit over all, but the best idea IMO.

The best character development for a single character would have ot go to Squall from VIII

So all and all I will vote for VI because of how many deep characters there were, despite no one character taking the lead, most of them had a great story behind them

VII was also very interesting with the sci-fi setting and all, the character development was severely lacking though.

I think Final Fantasy X would have got the best storyline. (Though my personal favourite is IX...)

Coupled with one of the best graphics.. Its catastrophic. Furthermore, I'm quite satisfied with the story's progress, of how Yuna adventures around Spira (Literally) to defeat this monster called Sin (Who sins. Pun intended)...

And the romance. I think this series' romance is the most touching among all, in my opinion, which added on as reason to my choice.

I like all their story lines. I don't know which one I like best.
Zeromus, please try and contribute a little more to the topic by expanding on your posts. While you may like all stories the same, you could expand on which one you found the most interesting, or the one you found yourself the most wrapped up in, just to add more to the conversation and discussion in the topic.

The best storyline in all the ff series i think would most deffinatly be x. The stotyline is so unique. The way you travel all around spira meeting new people and learning about other characters pasts...
The thing that captures me the most about ffx is the love story that is very touching and it's a tear jerker.

This really is quite hard for me, as my favourite stories are all like, nose to nose with each other, and I can't make a decision.

Im stuck between VI, VIII, XII. I love them all equally, XII overally. That being said...I'm gonna have to pick one seeing as I can only has one choice, so, VIII. JUST. Was going to choose to XII, so so close :gasp:

Only chose VIII before XII simply because I've loved it longer then XII, and only because I could choose..one. VIII's story was engrossing, and gave me hours of enjoyment.

For me it was between FFVIII and X
I chose FFVIII because I thought it had the most interesting plot. The fact that the story exists in two different times and is essentially the same story gives it a lot of depth imo. I really like how you can see what effect Laguna's actions 17 years in the past, had on the story in the present.
I also though the history of the Cetra and how that could be linked to the lunar cry and to the crystal pillar and then to the Sorceress war was really good.
FFVIII to me had the most interesting story, which to me is the same as having the best story.

I think I'm torn between a few. VII, IV and X...to narrow it down :wacky: I would of included VIII there aswel, seeing as its a firm favourite of mine, but the whole time travelling bollocks kinda confuses me STILL

VII...I really like the story of this, Clouds self discovery, I liek the character develpment for pretty much all the characters. The death of Aerith was rather unexpected aswel first time I played. I liekd how at first, you were just a resistence movemet fighting against the government, then you learn of Sephiroth a bit later. The love hate relationship with the Turks was snazzzy aswel

X. Finding out your character is a dreama nd the whole story seems to revolve around death worked really really well, half of the Yevonites were undead which was like what xD The discoveries you make along the way as Tidus are really well thought out. You discover the ways of Spira along with him, instead of him telling you things by way of 'tutorial' It's gewd

IV. I'm impressed by how great this story was really, the whole thing seems to fit so well together there wasn't one thing I was left thinking huh? over. Aside from when you go to the Feymarch and you don't age like Rydia did :wacky:

With the exception of XII and the VII spin offs, I don't think I dislike any FF storylines, but there are 3 that stand out.

I would have to say VI had the best story. That game was just epic, and it lacked the usual flaw in FF stories where they seem to drag on or lose focus, so I never got bored. A lot of FF titles seem to take themselves too seriously but FFVI had just the right amount of humour, especially in the one liners of Kefka and Ultros! For the most part the character development was great and I adored the setting. I was hugely sympathetic to Terra, and found her journey quite inspiring. The ending was superb in the way it gave you closure on all the different characters too. Remake plz.

I liked VII's story a lot too, I like futuristic RPG's more than old fashioned or medieval ones. I didn't find Cloud's self discovery story convincing enough to ensure I didn't get bored (the second disc was a weak point IMO) and the plot twists were rather underwhelming. But VII made up for it with sub plots like Shinra, and Avalanche's war with them, Sephiroth's history and downfall and Aerith and the Cetra. I was fascinated by the idea of the Planet being a living thing too.

FFX had another excellent story, and for a game about a world which has been barely holding off it's inevitable doom by sacrificing people, it was surprisingly uplifting. Some awful voice acting and over prominent and rather unconvincing romance aside, it was enjoyable and remains one of my favourites. The ending was spectacular and fitting...wtf were they thinking with the sequel? I get the "bad" ending on purpose!

It has to be X - it's the one and only game that can choke me up slightly, which is quite an accomplishment. The characters are easy to connect with, no relationships are ambiguous, the story is filled with a flux of emotions at every turn, the plot itself falls nothing short of gripping and there're very few stories of which I can think can match up to this one.

I think FFVII has the best story in any FF game. It's certainly the most memorable for me, all of the characters were important to the storyline, none of them felt like filler characters. There are still unanswered questions about it, and I still find it very replayable. And, I think if you don't know about it, Aerith's death was the biggest plot-twist in any FF game.

FFX, FFIX, FFXII, FFVI and FFVIII all get very special mentions, they were all brilliant in there own way, but they each have a few things that make it so they don't quite match up to FFVII.

In my opinion, it'sbetween X and VII.

VII's Sephiroth is quite possibly the best known Final Fantasy villain ever to grace the series. The development of the characters, and, overall, the decision to kill a main playable character, Aerith, so early in the game is an extremely shocking and well known moment and as a result mainly of these two factors, and the storyline involving Meteor, Holy, the Lifestream, materia and Sephiroth's overall involvement with these particular factors definitely make for an above-average, if not fantastic, storyline, and no matter what, VII is seen as one of the more well known and popular games of the series.

However, in the end, X is my choice, simply because every character gets to expose weakness and get their moment to shine with their own storyline. I know it's the same in several other games in the series, but seeing Lulu show weakness in the Cavern of the Stolen Faith, after being stoic throughout the game, is incredible, the revalation that Auron is a dead Unsent and Tidus a dream, Kimahri's rivalry with his fellow Ronso and Rikku's devastation when Home is destroyed and her friends die is also a very well scripted few scenes.
The villains, Seymour and Sin, make excelllent, memorable villains, because you can sympathise with Seymour; he lost his mind when his mother gave herself up, and his actual belief that the death of Spira and his desperate want to become Sin was for the better good was a little bit pitiful. You, or at least I, felt sorry for him because of his hard time in life.
And Yu Yevon wanting to become immortal and doing so through the Final Aeon was, I believe, a touch of genius, as well as the whole concept of aeons and their creation, as well as fighting them at the end and Jecht being the second last boss was something unexpected.

I voted for X mostly for character factor.

I have to pick X. It's short compared to the other FFs but in the time alotted it, X accomplishes a lot. It's very powerful in the key moments. The charaters are portrayed pretty realistically and you really grow to know them by the end. This was a close call for me though. I love the irony of FFVIII. The ways things panned out in the past really affected the present. Laguna and Julia ending up with different people but their kids ending up together is my favorite bit of irony.

I dunno why no one likes the story in FFXII. yeah it didn't have a love story or a whole lot of character development, but i think the story was supposed to be impersonal. it was supposed to make you feel like it was much grander than just the party members. like the story was so large that the stories of the individual characters were insignificant.

I dunno why no one likes the story in FFXII. yeah it didn't have a love story or a whole lot of character development, but i think the story was supposed to be impersonal. it was supposed to make you feel like it was much grander than just the party members. like the story was so large that the stories of the individual characters were insignificant.

And that is the reason that XII is one of the weaker stories in the series. The interpersonal relationships and personal journies of the characters are far more important than the over-arching "save the world" plot.

This is why FFX is the best story in all of gaming. It takes the traditional "save the world" plot and uses it only to stress the strife that each of the characters had to plod through. To see each character grow and often come to various breaking points is what made FFX special. By the end you deeply care about the characters and thus completely entrenched in the journey to save the world.

It is the personal nuances of each character that bring the story more depth. By the end of the game in FFX, not only do you understand why they save the world, you actually care. From Wakka's hatred of the Al Bhed/machina to Lulu's strict attitude towards the pilgrimage, to staggering emotional turmoil of Tidus not only finding out the truth about Sin, but about the pilgrimage and then himself... and even various sub-plots with Gutu/Lazza, Cid/Brother, and the varied cultures of Spira, FFX is the deepest and most rewarding story of gaming and possibly even all of entertainment.

I'm going to have to go with six. The bad guys win! I mean, of course the heroes redeem themselves and save the world, but when a boss says "I'M GOING TO DESTROY THE WORLD!!!" how often does it happen? This made the story really original in my opinion. I would say X was also fairly well done also.

okay my bad
Forr XII
1) The Characters each held their own backstory that could be discovered while playing the game, whether it was their brother who died in the war, a loved one killed, a pirate ship with an old grudge on him, a bunny woman who was cast from her village etc etc. You just gotta look deep enough for their development

2)The espers were new summons, that weren't there for one attack.

3)And the whole quickening set? Freaking sweet if you ask me, I got to 32 one time. Insane.

It was your basic political plot line of a nation caught in between two waring countries.

As for the whole fantasy aspect, everything seemed to blend well into the plot line for me.

The characters?

Vaan transformed from a boy who was unwilling to fight to one willing to do
what was right no matter what it meant for him. (Typical character plot, so sue them.)

Penelope, was an orphan true, but you got to watch the love interest between her and Vaan
and how she would follow him to literally the end of the earth.

Ashe had to deal not only with the death of her husband, but the capture of her country
and the need to take it back and restore order.

What about Basch? Did not his story of betrayal and misconception feel complete to you?

some of that doesnt have much to do with the storyline but eh it's still good

and I dont know why I really liked IXs story
It was just really compelling for me to watch Zidane and Garnets relatioship grow

Back