£90 per game!

The Welsh Paddy

The Human Flamethrower
Veteran
Gil
Cactuar
Alright, so with the release of PS4 and Xbox One on the horizon, I decided to see how much the games are going for. I checked on Amazon, and apparently the games that are available for pre-order are going for £90. In this day and age, are there really that many people who could afford to/are willing to actually pay that much for a single game?

The consoles are going for around £600 each, a couple of hundred more than their predecessors upon their release. That's something that can be managed much easier as that would be (at least it should be) a one-off purchase, and you might be lucky enough come christmas time to get a bundle offer which includes two or three games just for an extra £100. So in that respect, I guess you could say you are getting more value for your money.

But £90 per game? That's more than twice the amount current gen games are sold for upon release. And, if I remember correctly, PS2/Xbox games were about £25-£30 new; about two thirds - three quarters the price of a PS3/360 game. Even Wii U games are around £40 on their release. :hmmm:

So, at those kinds of prices, who here would actually fork out that much for a game on a regular basis? Do you think it would be worth the money? What would you be expecting at these prices?

I can't see myself spending that much on games, even if I could afford it. There are so many other things I would rather buy, and I could probably still spend a few years going through games on previous gen consoles that I want to play. I don't know what to expect at these prices. I'm not the slightest bit convinced it would be worth the money, and I think the only kinds of games I would even consider buying at those sorts of prices would be games that would take weeks or months to complete. (I've been playing Skyrim for a few months now and I'm still not tired of that game.)

Those are placeholders, they are not final prices. I agree though I wont pay for tht, 60bucks or less. You cn always wait till the prices drop. I wont buy a next gen console anytime soon anyway. Still having lots of fun with my ps3.

:lew: Makes sense. I done a bit more digging around, and I've come to the conclusion that there's not all that much reason at all to increase sales prices other than for the console itself, except for maybe a couple of extra £'s due to tax. But then, I guess you have development costs, etc.

As for as XBox One goes, however, I do think that in order to tackle the problem they've caused with putting a block on second hand games, is to lower prices. I honestly don't know what's going on in their minds right now. At least with PS4, the DRM block is solely up to the game publishers. It can also play without friggin' having to be connected to the internet! I think Microsoft in general is going about telling people what they want, rather than giving them what they want. :hmmm:

So right now, I'd say Sony can justify upping their game prices by about £5-£10 if games require more time and resources to make for the PS4. The place holder prices on Amazon really threw me for a moment. £90 for a game really would be insane. :wacky:

I also found that the consoles themselves are rumoured to cost about £250 - £300.

Next gen games are staying the price they are now.

$60 is a good base price for any game in this age. I doubt they'll make it higher for a standard edition. The gaming industry will surely lose money then, since no one will buy new games.

The final prices will be lower. £90 is way too much in this day and age for a game they would be shooting themselves in the foot.
There was actually a rumour about game prices being slightly cheaper. Around £5 in the UK and around 7-10 Dollars in Americaland. Its only rumours but you never know. Lowering game prices would help combat the 2nd hand market that publishers bitch and complain about. Games just arent worth that much money. Even though you might be able to afford it id feel like i was ripping myself off if i payed that much :hmmm:
Maybe games will be more expensive but theres no way theyl be double the price. Theres just people out there willing to pay ridiculous amounts for a pre order. Someone told me that pre order copes of MW2 were going for over $1000. All that just to get the game 2 days early. Madness

You've got to admit. It'd be somewhat hilarious - and awful - if ever somehow they had the gall to do this. Worsened also by the fact that the Xbone seems willing to get people to fork over fees to play preowned or rented games, and you would have had a recipe for disaster especially in these economic times. Brick and mortar game stores would just fold, minus the Wii U. Nintendo would see a sudden upsurge in the Wii U interest, while everyone else decides to migrate to the PC instead. The console market would sink before the generation even begins, and the PC would witness possibly its greatest renaissance ever. :lew:

I do suspect that Australians will convert the £90 to Australian dollars and think: "pfft? We already pay that much for our overpriced stuff anyway. Come over here and see how thoroughly ripped-off we are".

If it stays where it is now, I wouldn't be too surprised. Publishers will still find some way to monetise other things in the game, and I suspect that's not going to change. I'm fine with that. I'm not going to get a next-gen machine anytime soon when I'm still entertaining the thought of a PC. And in the rare occasions when I do buy a new, boxed game nowadays, I snap them up for about £15-£20. I have honestly not forked over the full £39.99 or more for a single game since Final Fantasy XIII, surprise, surprise.

Now, the digital service however, there's no excuse for why something like Sleeping Dogs is £49.99 on PSN when any sensible person can find it for a lot less as a physical copy on Amazon. You don't need to physically manufacture copies of the game and ship them to retailers, risking the chances of overshipping a game like Square-Enix had done with Final Fantasy XIII-2 and incurring the costs later, so why are PSN digital downloads so pricey? And don't give me that crap about Plus membership. I'm barely home nowadays. I'm not paying for that simply on the off-chance they may have a decent, random free game or limited sale going on from time to time. If Sony or others were wise, they'll look at Valve and realise how they can really be competitive. Don't bloody charge the whole retail RRP or more for a digital version of a game!

I always wondered why digital downloads were so expensive. It's ridiculous.

If XBox One and PS4 games did get as pricey as £90, I really wouldn't be surprised if people opted for Nintendo or PC. I'd probably game on PC myself, but getting a good enough rig can be quite pricey so it's generally just easier purchasing games for the consoles I already have.

I'm interested to know where Microsoft are going with this whole XBox One business though. At the moment they just seem to be digging their own grave, but at the same time I can't imagine such a huge company doing something so foolish.

Pre-order copies of MW2 going for $1000... That is madness. :lew:

Psn prices are just ridiculous. When you think about it it plays on the fact that many gamers are lazy and impatient would rather pay 44.99 for Mass effect 2 than either go to Amazon and pick it up for less than £10 or head into town and get it used from GAME or if your lucky CEX for the exact same price. They shouldnt complain though about a hit in sales numbers on the network when they charge very unfair prices.
Its all down to us though. People need to say theyre not standing for this and leave messages on their forums and completely boycott the network games with mad prices. As long as people continue to buy it then the publishers and sony arent gunna make the prices fair.

I buy brand new games. I dont buy preowned games. I buy discounted games but also full price. I bought Ni No Kuni from PSN. I bought a lot of games from PSN and seriously PSN+ is most definitly worth the money. I get three free games per month. Patience is the keyword and if you are willing to support the devs not the publishers. Also the platform holder.

Nahhh i dont see it like that at all. I dont see the point in buying something brand new when i could get it half price and in the same condition. Im not gunna do that just to make a rich company even more money because im certainly not rich so im gunna find the best deal i can. Not everything on PSN is a ripoff. For example the FF games will cost you quite a bit if your gunna buy them complete in the case, but on PSN your gunna make a big saving. Ive picked up some great Indie games like Limbo and super meat boy which were cheap and well worth the money but for the most part on big game titles they are completely ripping you off. As if it wasnt enough that companies like EA had micro transactions in every single one of their games. (theyve stopped this as of about 3 weeks ago)
You can easily buy a game brand new for £44.99 and if you wanna get all the DLC end up spending double what you originally did. es yes its YOUR choice if you wanna buy the DLC but charging ridiculous prices doesnt make it ok. When theres a game i know that im gunna end up buying DLC for too right im gunna try and make a saving somewhere. Pre owned games have been around forever and the game industry is still in going strong. Corporate greed is all it is.

.... :wacky: We could barely afford a $25 game, much less the current gens prices. I got FFXIII, FFXIII-2, & WWE 13 on bargain price. My Mom, luckily, is the master at finding good deals online. So we got those 3 games brand new for Xbox 360 for less than $60. Which is a fucking score if you ask me. As for next gen, I'm finding it hard to give a fuck right now. We won't be buying any of the next gen consoles for at least another year or 2. Hopefully by then, somewhere, there will be used games. My Dad, as much as I love him, is a cheap bastard. He won't settle for anything less than a used game, so it should be interesting to see his reactions to everything. XD LMAOtrees

Well it doesnt matter, but I will definitely buy The Last Of Us fullprice just to support ND. The scores are insane man. 10/10's out the roof.
I have a selection of games I am happy to buy fullprice.

I dont buy a lot I think :hmmm:

Well I can't speak for XBoxOne, but I know Sony had said a little after there press conference that the prices for the PS4 games wont change from the PS3 games, so whatever you are paying now for PS3 games (I don't know the prices anywhere but America, which is $60 ) then you shouldn't be paying anymore... and if XBoxOne wants anyone to buy there games, they would do the same, since they are already charging for used games.

I would expect every game to be as good as - no, better - than Xenoblade Chronicles for £90.

At the moment, quite often I refuse to pay full price for a game because I know I won't get my money's worth. £40 for about 10 hours of entertainment on average the first time around is a blatant rip off; double that for the same or less would be even worse. I don't care how much it costs them to make it, if they want me to pay full price for it, it needs to give me more for my money outside of optional extras like multiplayer and trophies that I don't really give a crap about. I do trophy hunt from time to time, but not to the point where I'd be willing to fork over that much just for another shiny platinum trophy; quite often, I only plat the games I really enjoy playing.

I'd expect the main game to last much, MUCH longer, and I'd expect more in the way of variety and originality, too. I'm not going to pay full price for a game that's damn near identical to one I've already got, especially not when the game will probably drop in price by 25% or more within a couple of weeks of launch. Buying a new shooter for £90 when I could just play, say, BioShock, and enjoy it just as much, if not more, would be out of the question. I'd want something that would really grab my attention for that kind of price.

I won't even need to dwell on it. In a hypothetical scenario where the asking price for console games is £90, I'm telling them to go fuck themselves. I don't care how wonderful the game is and the countless hours of joy it may give me at launch, but I am not handing them that much money for a new copy of one video game. It's only perhaps if I'm loaded, or just have virtually no self-control over my spending.

Seriously, I'm the sort of person who thinks £30 for a game is pushing it. Fun fact: I haven't purchased any new console game since last summer, and it was the only PS3 game I purchased last year (I think - could be wrong on that). And that was Sleeping Dogs. It had a flash price slash to £30 and I bit, despite being a wee bit hesitant, but I was vindicated because it's Hong Kong in an open-world game.

But my point is, a game would have to be at the very least £30 or under for me to bite. And it will have to look awesome. Plus, if it's not an exclusive, it will be at least £10-£15 automatically cheaper on the PC!

£90 is certainly too much to pay for a single new game. It'd go over the 100 mark in most areas if that was the case.

The market would suffer immensely if they we standard prices. It'd push gamers deeper into the second hand market, me thinks.

These have to be OTT pricings.

If there was a rise in prices on both the PS4 and PS3 and both systems went to 80 a pop, I'll stick with retro gaming and just buy PS1 games off of Amazon and play them. IMO 60 is even pushing it for buying a new game but that's just me. I also can't find it in me to buy digital games off of the PSN. I need an actual physical copy of games so I'll have them forever and can always replay them. I just don't trust them staying on the store and staying on your system. It honestly feels like a rental service when I look at the catalog of games. I could be entirely wrong and if I am then please correct me on that.

Back