FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
final-fantasy-vii-143foaqh.jpg

Not beating around the bush, are they?

Perhaps not the most surprising scrap of news to come out regarding the FFVII remake, as it has been long suspected by fans, but Tetsuya Nomura has come out to tell the team behind the Official PlayStation Magazine UK that we should expect substantial changes to how it will play compared with the original.

While the core of the game (presumably regarding Materia) will likely remain intact, the combat is where we should expect "dramatic changes", to quote what he told the magazine. What this change entails and in what form he does not stipulate. For now, we can only expect that the remake will not feature the same ATB-based battle system that everyone has grown familiar with since the game's original release in 1997.

"We are not going to be changing it into a shooter or anything like that", said Nomura, as we all recoil with pain at the recollection that Dirge of Cerberus exists, but "[w]e are going to be bringing dramatic changes, but we want to make sure it's still recognisable".

To reiterate, this is probably unsurprising news. The big-budget RPG space has been eschewing older mechanics of late and it would appear that this is a fervent attempt not only to target the remake for veteran fans of the series and the original, but also a concerted move to appeal to the mainstream RPG crowd of today.

In addition, Nomura states that he and his team are looking into the Advent Children movie again for some inspiration for the visual side of this remake. “Don’t intend on utilizing the 3D models of Advent Children as is because, well, it’s a different technology, and it’s actually been almost ten years since Advent Children was first released.”

No, I'm not sure what he means from this latter paragraph either.

Nova Crystallis

I hope we still have some form of turn-base element involved. but this was expected from SE.

If it is turn base then I will guess it will be more like maybe X-2 over the classical turn base. I am guessing though we are getting a lot more of an action base game over the classical look, just a guess though.

I hope they'll explore a more real-time/ turn based hybrid for the combat style of this game (leaning more towards the real-time). Giving players the opportunity to move their characters around the battle area, (to dodge, get better hits in, etc.) like we have in Type-0 or Episode Duscae, is definitely the way forward and much more engaging I think. It would be nice if there was a way to manipulate your other party members at the same time though, maybe switching between them like in Type-0 perhaps? Although, something a bit more advanced than this would be a great addition to this remake!

Just what the fans always wanted: a battle system that didn't get them into the game in the first place. I've already realised this is gonna be completely inferior to the original...but this has somehow confirmed it all the more.

...I'll wait and see what the battle system will actually be like, but I'm not holding my breath, considering Square doesn't like pure JRPGs anymore for their pure JRPG franchise.

People, this seriously is not new news. Nomura did say in a previous interview that it would be much different, although he said that indirectly. If you did not think the remake was going to be different, then you were under some real fantasy that this game was going to be the game we all played but with HD, graphics all remade. Just look at FF XV; for example, I think SE is really done with "turn based" battling. They want to give us freedom and control over the environment. I do not know why so many people think that the remake having different changes is a blow to the face, when in fact it really is not. FF XV will definitely inspire the more realistic and dark approach that the remake is taking, and fans who didn't think that are just delusional, no offense. Again, most remakes take different approaches to things, and if you want to play FF VII, you can play the original. This remake is for the fans, and SE will deliver, just you wait. At least, just be happy they are even REMAKING it.

/rant over.

lol I'll laugh if its like 13 or god forbid 15's battle system.

It should stay along the lines of 10 at the least.

Honestly I knew this would happen when a remake of VII would happen (or any FF game for that matter) the thing is you may attract new people to it but if you change too much you'll just alienate the players who enjoyed the original and since they said it was going to be "Dramatic Changes" I can only pray to god they dont make it like the battle systems from the latest games they pushed out. (honestly any battle systems after 10 were REALLY hit and miss) 12s was okish but didn't enjoy it as much as the ATB, 13's was just bleh.

maybe if they took a page from the Tales series or fuck even star ocean it may be a tolerable change since they still felt like a solid battle system these are only examples of a decent change from the ATB

People, this seriously is not new news. Nomura did say in a previous interview that it would be much different, although he said that indirectly. If you did not think the remake was going to be different, then you were under some real fantasy that this game was going to be the game we all played but with HD, graphics all remade. Just look at FF XV; for example, I think SE is really done with "turn based" battling. They want to give us freedom and control over the environment. I do not know why so many people think that the remake having different changes is a blow to the face, when in fact it really is not. FF XV will definitely inspire the more realistic and dark approach that the remake is taking, and fans who didn't think that are just delusional, no offense. Again, most remakes take different approaches to things, and if you want to play FF VII, you can play the original. This remake is for the fans, and SE will deliver, just you wait. At least, just be happy they are even REMAKING it.

/rant over.

When have you seen a remake that changed the gameplay completely?

We arent that upset....im not....but to me its not a remake, its a re-imagined

I don't think it really tells us much, at such an early stage any news about it thus far seems to basically say 'it'll be different but not too different!'. Which could mean anything at this point.

As longs as it's not like the Crisis Core/ Kingdom Hearts system or FF XV system. Only controlling one character while the cpu really does most of the work for you, is just almost pointless and hella lazy. That's if Donald manages to heal you.
:ahmed:

to me its not a remake, its a re-imagined

And this is exactly what the creators have said it will be. I'm not surprised or disappointed to hear that things will be different, I'm just curious to see how they will be different. No matter what SE does with this they will upset some group of people or another, but I think they are aware of the pressure on them to do right by the most fans possible and that will encourage them to make a solid game, whatever form it takes.

The more they make it clear to fans ahead of time, the more fans will learn to accept, and if thwy catch it early enough and make a big enough uproar, they may find a way to revert it before its finalized

While I'm cool with the changes to the system and the designs- c'mon, there's gonna be some change with a game that's near TWENTYyears old- I feel that there will be some fans out there who just won't be happy with anything Square does come up with.

There's an aspect of fan-expected pandering that won't happen, but there's also the idea that maybe- just maybe- this overhaul just won't recreate that familiar feeling of this game.

While I was... 1 and 354 days old when VII originally did come out, I had the same sort of experience with X as I expect many of you had with VII. While the ps3 remaster was really awesome to play... I just didn't feel the EXACT feeling I had back then. I didn't enjoy it as much.

I just fear for this situation with many a VII fan when the game does eventually come out(Which I don't expect to end up like Versus/XV's generation long, on/off development time). I'd hate to see something that many people cherish just lose that shine to it.

Last edited:
What makes the original so great for many fans is that moment in their life in which they first played it. SE can't recreate peoples' childhoods for them and no matter what, the remake cannot possibly capture the essence of that nostalgia. Honestly I feel this remake is for the new fans rather than the old, I think SE want to give them a chance to experience one of their best games without going backwards. At the same time it's important to SE that they do right by their older fan base which is why they are informing them of their approach before hand. This, I can respect.

it will probably end up like kingdom hearts or crisis core. they already hinted at the fact that it would have different combat, saying that it would be a waste to make new models only to have cloud and barret jumping across the screen in turn based combat.

honestly? id expect the game to run on the same/similar engine as FFXV

Please for the love of God, do NOT make it like that garbage trash that XIII had. Fuck that game, everything about it. If anything I'd LOVE if it were like the combat X had. That's to date the best combat in the entire FF franchise for me.

I really want to see Crisis Core come back woth possibly some turn base elemets, but yes, please no FF13 system

I don't think that the Fantasy XIII battle system is the right one for the remake. It just don't fit in with the materia system. I think that the Final Fantasy X battle system would be a better choice in my opinion.

I'm not a purist that's gonna be upset if they change stuff, not at all. Change can be really good for stuff. I'm just scared they're gonna change so much that this game will lose it's identity. We shall see what happens. There's alot of time until the game comes out.

I'm not a purist that's gonna be upset if they change stuff, not at all. Change can be really good for stuff. I'm just scared they're gonna change so much that this game will lose it's identity. We shall see what happens. There's alot of time until the game comes out.
I believe they will concentrate on story. Although a new writer is involved, im syre he will keep it faithful. And they did confirm that there will be no new characters. I dont know if that applies to just ff7 or ff7 compilation.

Back