Chocobo Egg
Terra
Yuna
FFXIV
Ellia Lombardia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Square Enix Always Thinking About Reboots

While there are no plans for future SaGa or Mana titles, Square Enix is interested in reboot other series. The topic came up when an investor asked if there were plans to release titles from formerly popular series.

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada pointed out Tomb Raider is not a numbered game and said the company is looking to reviving several titles. Square Enix is always considering reboots.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which comes out in August, and Tomb Raider are two such projects. Although those titles were in development before the Eidos acquisition. In addition to Square and Enix intellectual properties, Square Enix also owns Taito’s catalog.

Source:http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/22/square-enix-always-thinking-about-reboots/

Last edited by a moderator:
Square Enix always thinking about money. And what can make more money than dead outdated franchise with instant-ready marketable name, reheated for the new generation.

Oh they can come up with a lot of new things to make. They just don't want to take a risk and invest in a new intellectual property where they have to market the shit out of it and cover up the costs of making the damn thing. Considering that the usual budget for a triple A title these days are in the millions to tens of millions, you can see why they're being hesitant. Nevertheless, if the people want an original game, they will give them an original game. Since they're getting their feedback metrically, i.e. the number of sales a game makes, and not petitions etc etc, it'll be hard for them to know that we want a new game that never existed.

If it already is a well-known name, then sure, why not take advantage of it? It's logical considering as Sultan has already delightfully said, you're taking a big gamble especially in this day and age where HD development is ridiculously expensive in making a new IP. The last console generations brought us many games with original standalone or new, flourishing IPs whereas this generation has mainly been sequels and spinoffs. If they reboot a good preexisting name and do it well, then I'll be all up for it, considering if the new Tomb Raider turns out to be a triple A game.

Sooo, I wonder. Would Wada's words also apply for the Japanese front of Square Enix? Have they any plans to reboot anything? They could always reboot Final Fantasy completely if the games they have in the pipeline turn out to be awful. :monster:

I think it's a tad unfair to write off SE's moves of rebooting a series as being uncreative or lazy; if anything I thought the Tomb Raider reboot looked barely recognisable in the teaser trailer. Challenging an already established character's origin story isn't necessarily easier than creating a whole new franchise either, since you have to be able to satisfy a pre-existing fan base. For example, Christopher Nolan's efforts to reboot Batman were hardly regarded as lazy.

The implication this has for other SE titles is interesting though. Final Fantasy comes to mind, with the numbers of the series getting stupidly high, but then you have to wonder what they could achieve by rebooting FF, considering the games have little or no continuity between themselves anyway. They could always consider reinventing certain games, though I'm not sure I could see that going down so well with the fans; imagine an alternate re-telling of FFVII, the story is so highly regarded by some that even the thought of changing it would be enough to discourage them.

What I'd like to see from them is a resurrection of an older series, possibly SaGa, and that hasn't had a new game (aside from direct remakes) since 2002. One of the reasons the series has been largely abandoned in the way of sequels is that it hasn't appealed to a Western market, and a reboot might be just what it needs.

Welcome to the Creative Depression. Unfortunately, with people so set on the "There is no original idea" thing, people don't really try to come up with anything new.

You guys are way too critical and probably a bit naive. Square Enix is a corporation. It's their job to release games that will sell. It's a proven fact that numbered sequels and recognizable titles (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, etc) sell better than new IPs.

I hope they only reboot games that were actually terrible.

Rebooting Mana or Chrono Trigger would be just...ugh, terrible! Absolutely terrible! Chrono Cross maybe :hmm:

Im sorry rebooting shitty games wont make them necessarily better...IMO wrong investment unless they alllllllllllll end up on the ps3 :awesome: ...I dont know many SE titles tbh might check on it..

btw wasnt wild arms also squaresoft?

I prefer they remake the better games for ps3!!!!!!! Thats what I want..word :mokken:....... reboot my ass.........

Well if they would actually go back to some of the series it would be fine for me, I mean saying there "lazy if they go back to the series" is like telling Nintendo to stop making Mario games, or Zelda games, I mean comon, why wouldn't you wanna make some of these great series games Chrono, Saga, Star Ocean, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back