[22/06] FFXIII-2 has other new characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Has Other New Characters Besides Noel

Art director Isamu Kamikokuryo shares new insights into the sequel.

Noel and Serah in this FFXIII-2 screenshot that was distributed at E3. It looks like Noel won't be the only new major addition to the cast.
Noel joins the Final Fantasy XIII cast as the main character of Final Fantasy XIII-2. But he won't be the only major new character in the game.

In an interview in this week's Famitsu (summed up at Sokuho), art director Isamu Kamikokuryo reveals that there will be other new "main characters" besides Noel.

It's unclear what Kamikokuryo means by "main" characters, as the game's producer and director have said that the story will center on Noel and Serah, the two characters who were playable in the E3 demo. At the very least, it looks like we can expect some additional major additions to the cast.

Characters from the original FFXIII will be returning as well, of course. Kamikokuryo said that players will be able to see slightly grown up versions of the past characters, and how they're now living.

Kamikokuryo's discussion also shed a few additional details on who's working on FFXIII-2, along with some additional hints about the game:

-The staff remains mostly the same from the original.

-Tetsuya Nomura handled designs for the characters' faces while the bodies and clothing were handled by other FF series art directors.

-The character shown standing back-to-back with Lightning in the game's original January trailer was designed by Yusuke Naora.

-The enemies that appear in the Neo Bodham area are a new category of enemy that are neither from Cocoon nor Pulse. They're designed by lead art designer Toshitaka Matsuda.

-There is a common pattern that appears on Lightning's shield and Serah's clothing. When playing the game, you'll find out why the pattern is the same.

-A number of people submitted Moogle designs, but in the end they went with Matsuda's design. Matsuda also designed Lightning's sword, NPCs, new monsters, backgrounds, and the summons which appear in a different form from the original.

-Similar to the original, Lightning's sword can transform between gun and sword.

-The game's maps weren't finalized from the start this time. Instead, they're letting the staff fill the maps with ideas for things like short-cuts and so-forth. They're letting the staff be free to do trial and error in this area.

-Because of the tight production schedule, they didn't have much time for pre production. They didn't even have enough time to do much in the way of setting drawings. In some cases, they used photographs and other resources to explain things. Looking at the bright side, Kamikokuryo said that this actually made it easier to get the point across, and allowed them to change their approach to direction.

Source: Andriasang

EDIT:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Famitsu Details: There Are Variety Of Towns
There is an interview with Isamu Kamikokuryo Art director of FF13 on the latest issue Famitsu :

When asked: There are many places that were deleted on FF13, will those deleted to be include on FF13-2?

Isamu: It won't come out like the original, however we will use it effectively.

Cities and towns will increase?

Isamu: YES. There are variety of town this time.

Other details included.

Toriyama requested the design of Lighting and Serah to be sexy.

There are some meaning of the same symbol on Lighting's shield and Serah's cloth.

Source: gamenyusu

My thoughts:
-I am relieved in many ways because there will be other new main characters besides Noel and Serah. It's likely they are playable too. I can't stand how people all over the internet whine about a 2 character + 1 monster party throughout the game. Now that it's revealed there are other characters, we will have one less thing to complain.
-cast of XIII will be returning, but I wonder if any of them is playable?
-new category of enemies? Probably from the invinsible world? I am glad we are having completely new monster designs instead of just palette swaps.
-I really hope that the rushed development will not affect the quality significantly...
-as always, I am glad they have confirmed the presence of towns in various interviews.

I don't even think I can even do a media blackout for this game at this rate... I can't resist the temptation to see any XIII-2 related stuff.

Last edited:
-Tetsuya Nomura handled designs for the characters' faces while the bodies and clothing were handled by other FF series art directors.
Yet on the cover, disc and every poster it's gonna say only CHARACTERS DESIGN BY TETSUYA NOMURA with huge letters.

Toriyama requested the design of Serah to be sexy? Oh really? So whatever happened to her being the cutest girl in the whole Final Fantasy series? Now they just go and change it by sexing her up. Serah was supposed to be unique for her cuteness. Well, this is Japan sooo might as well think it is normal for them SE drunkards. More characters is always nice. What I am finally relieved about is that various towns will appear. This one will not be linear then.

Well, that's cool. So one foot is off the throne. Interested in meeting these new characters, but still want to know about the old ones as well.

I did like 13 but i dont no right now i have my doubts about 13-2 i mean 10-2 had new characters and great gameplay but the story was lacking hardd. im still gunna buy it tho lol

Tetsuya Nomura handled designs for the characters' faces while the bodies and clothing were handled by other FF series art directors.

Yet on the cover, disc and every poster it's gonna say only CHARACTERS DESIGN BY TETSUYA NOMURA with huge letters.

I was just about to say that I hope people finally leave off of Nomura for his designs since he didn't do the costumes, but reading this comment, I have to say you're right. It's his name that'll be on the cover, so people will think they have a legit basis for bashing :sad3:

(I do hope the other designers get some credit-I'm liking Lightning and Serah's new design personally myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back