[22/02] Nomura: No more Dissidia in its current form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
dissidia4.jpg

Close to a year after Dissidia: Final Fantasy made its debut in Japan, Square Enix repackaged the English version as Dissdia: Final Fantasy Universal Tuning. The updated release had balancing tweaks, arcade mode, and most notably English voice acting.

Dissidia 012[duodecim]: Final Fantasy won’t get that kind of re-release, Tetsuya Nomura said in an interview with Dengeki PlayStation, since the overseas version is being released almost simultaneously with the Japanese version.

Nomura also said there will not be a "next title." That doesn’t mean the team has given up on fighting games, though. Later in the interview, Nomura says he believes he has done everything he can with the combat base. After this game, the Dissidia series could remerge with a new form. Nomura says the staff has been working on 1 on 1 fighting games for several years and would like to work with a new genre.

Director Takahashi Mitsunori tells Dengeki the 12th story (the new storyline in Dissidia 012) is 15 hours long. Dissidia 012[duodecim] also includes the 13th story from the original Dissidia: Final Fantasy, which Mitsunori says has an extra 60 hours of playtime. Like Dissidia: Final Fantasy, there is a data install option which takes up to 800 MB. The install takes awhile so Mitsunori recommends taking a nap while the game is installing.

Source: Siliconera

Dissidia Tactics anyone? Or maybe just a normal Dissidia with traditional FF ATB gameplay? You can tell they want to delve deeper into the story, and maybe the fact that Dissidia is, when it comes down to it, a fighting game created certain resitrictions? Making all battles 1 on 1 can make it awkward to create the 'team' or 'power of friendship' feel they were blatently going for I guess.

I sure wouldn't mind an action rpg Dissidia style, as long as it's on PS3. Thought of course whatever it is, it's going to be on NGP, this is SquareEnix =\

Oh, I'd have thought they'd be planning a third Dissidia game for the PS3 or something. I'm sure there are demands for that. Unless they change their minds (which remains likely), I suppose this approach makes sense. There's only so much you can do to the Dissidia games so that they remain fresh while remaining familiar as a fighting game. As they seem determined to maintain the brawling nature of the Dissidia games, I don't quite think they're interested in making a Dissidia Tactics or a Dissidia as an RPG with an action or conventional battle system yet. I'd love to see the former though.

So... this is the last Dissidia? Odd, I thought this was becoming their newest cash cow.

I am sure the 3rd game will be on ps3/NGP. I would prefer it on ps3 however. So will this be the prequel to Duodecim? Just going to guess. If they want to make it like a real Final Fantasy with an atb gauge and all it would be alright imo. But they can not miss the oppurtunity to bring this to ps3 for online play and all. :hmmm: As long as they arent doing FF meets Street fighter than it will be fine xD.

i really enjoy the current system i just hope they keep dissidia either a fighting game or an proper final fantasy rpg game :) cuz i think dissidia has revived the ff series a bit :D

Personally I hope this is a Regualr FF RPG. It fits the whole Final Fantasy style better. And It can have a really cool story line. Where All of the main characters team up and Go do missions or stories in their respective worlds with the other Protangonists. 14 "Chapters"(for each of the games) with the boss at the end of the chapter being the Final boss of that game. Or the antagonists/chaos pawns in Dissdia. each chapter has tons of side quests...and You can make your own party out of every charecter. and the final boss can be a Mized version of Cosmos and Chaos! IT would be epic if they made it right.

As long as whatever type of game it is still is a mash up of characters from all the different games (preferably still main numbered series games and their sequels/prequels), I don't care.

Oh, I believe that. Not. Didn't they say last year that a dissidia 2 was unlikely. Square-Enix, we know how it is. Lol, don't you try to trick us with that talk. AND WE KNOW THAT YOU WILL REMAKE FINAL FANTASY VII.

Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy Creative Producer Tetsuya Nomura and Director Mitsunori Takahashi are featured in this week's Dengeki PlayStation in a two page interview where they offer some commentary on Gilgamesh and other areas of the upcoming PSP title. We'll get to the Gilgamesh details in a separate story, but here's what Nomura had to say about the future of the series and some other pressing issues.

For frequent readers, we already provided a second hand report on the interview from earlier in the day based off a summary. The following report is based directly on having seen the magazine for ourselves.

Dengeki asked Nomura what's next for the Dissidia series. "There is no next," replied Nomura. "We're thinking about ending this pattern of Dissidia here. There also won't be a UT [Universal Tuning, the name for the international re-release of the original Dissidia] version. The overseas version is being released at nearly the same time and has the same tuning, so we're not thinking about a release [of a UT version]. For KHII, I said 'there are no plans at present,' but it looks like this was taken to mean 'it won't be released.' When it won't be released, I'll clearly say that it won't be released. For this title, there will be no UT version."

The Dissidia series may not necessarily be over, though. Said Nomura, "For the Dissidia series, there's the possibility of it appearing in another form. However, we feel that we've done all we can with the battle base. We had the staff work for years on one on one battles, so I'd like to let them do another genre. I feel we've done all we can with this pattern of Dissidia. However, it is exciting to see past characters revived in 3D. So, if given the chance, we'd like to do something as Dissidia. however, I don't think it will be this Dissidia."

Dengeki asked about possible developments for the series on Sony's new NGP system. "Kitase (fellow producer Yoshinori Kitase) was at the announcement press conference," said Nomura. "When NGP was in development, I was able to give my opinion and ideas many times." Pressed about possible plans for the system, Nomura said, "I can't talk about that yet."

Source: Andriasang

I know... Final Fantasy XV is really Dissidia 3 ;)

You knoww u want to Square

Well I blame the PSP :mokken:

Come on that thing came out ages ago.....I would prefer it being moved to a better console like the PS3. If it doesn't take as much time as RPG games do then I'm all for it.

But I don't want SE straying away from the RPG genre even though Nomura did say he'd like to try out a different genre. :(

FF = RPG
Fighting games = Tekken/Marvel vs Capcom or whatever.

i got to admit square should stick to rpg's but you got to admit it.... the last two dissidia's have been fun :wacky:

Dissidia is much more innovative than people give credit for, originally a lot just thought it was gonna be a glorified fighter that doesn't use side screen, but it turnt out to be much more than that and offered gameplay we have yet to see in other fighters yet. As a result, SE has proven that they can do much more than your typical RPG and I welcome anything new that they may try.

Dissidia was a completely breath of fresh air. I would love to see a proper RPG done with this type of combat system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back