Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
PS3 owners won't be able to make fun of their Xbox 360 friends about having to get up and swap discs every 20 hours or so when playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. Famitsu reveals this week that both the 360 and PS3 versions of the game take up just one disc.

Does this mean that Square Enix has rushed the game out with little content? In an interview with the magazine, director Motomu Toriyama says that the game actually has the same amount of volume as the original. The reason they're able to fit the game in less space this time is that the event scenes are real time. In addition to saving Xbox 360 players a trip from the couch to the entertainment center (horrors!), this has the added bonus of event scenes showing your armor changes.

Other points mentioned in Famitsu this week include:

HOPE

The version of Hope shown in the Tokyo Game Show trailer is from 10 years after FFXIII, when the character is 24 years old. He's head of a scientific investigation group of some form.

NOEL

It was previously revealed that new main character Noel is from the future where he somehow managed to become the last remaining human. According to Famitsu, he's having some memory problems due to a time paradox.

KAIAS

The TGS trailer introduced us to Kaias, the mysterious character from the first FFXIII-2 trailer way back in January. Did you get an evil villain vibe from him? Then your evil villain detector is working! Kaias is a villain who's having a bad influence on both Valhalla, the place where Lightning spends her time nowadays, and Serah's world.

CHAOS

In the TGS trailers, did you spot the black smoke that looked like it was coming from Lightning? It's called "Chaos."

VIOLENCE

The game will have some extreme scenes, although not at the level of Final Fantasy Type-0. (I believe this means scenes of extreme violence and war-like depictions, which is something that Type-0 is said to have a lot of).

QTEs

Not fond of QTEs? While XIII-2 will have quick timer events, there won't be much of a demerit if you fail at them. There will be some merits to clearing them, but only subtle.

CRYSTARIUM

In the original FFXIII, your characters had limits on how far they could advance in their Crystarium growth chart. The limits were increased as the story progressed. In XIII-2, there are no level limits. If you work at it, you can make yourself super powerful from the start.

PARTIES

In XIII-2, you can now switch your currently controlled character during battle. Also, different from XIII, the battle does not end when your leader dies.

Thank you Andriasang!

[21/09] Final Fantasy XIII-2 Will be on One disc for Xbox 360

xiii-2_08112011_07.jpg

Famitsu have confirmed Final Fantasy XIII-2's disc count on Xbox 360, revealing that unlike Final Fantasy XIII the 360 version of the game will ship on a single DVD disc.

The PlayStation 3 version of the game will also ship on one Blu-ray disc, of course. The Xbox 360 version shipping on one disc makes for some news as the original Final Fantasy XIII was spread across 3 discs with strange breaks in the story for swapping discs throughout.

It seems being built from the ground up with 360 in mind as well as PS3 this time has helped the development team keep things on one disc. Game Director Motomu Toriyama told the magazine that more use of real time cutscenes as opposed to prerendered ones decreased the amount of data that had to be placed on a disc.

Square Enix reps told us the same during our Tokyo Game Show hands-on.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is arriving for PS3 and Xbox 360 in Japan in December while a Western release will come in January and February next year. If you want to get your hands on the game first, Play Asia have the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game up for Import Preorder.

Source: RPG Site

Well at least they took some things we didn't like and fixed them, I have almost no complaints left for the game, however i'm not terribly keen on armour changes in cutscenes (I know, picky :wacky:) and I fear we're getting a downgrade again like FF13, especially since it's accomodating to 360 again :hmmm: only moreso

Also, on Noel, as Compa would say (Martel :britt:) 'An amnesiac! How original!' ^_^

this is nice that it all gonna be on one disc... less discs to lose and break.... but yh i'm worried that were gonna get a downgrade... but come on.. the in games graphics you can't tell much difference between the in game cutscenes and the CGI Scenes as i call them

I'm more concerned about how much i'm getting out of the game rather than how pretty it looks :hmmm: I was already skeptical it was going to be half assed when they announced multiple endings so this isn't doing much to boost my confidence.

I'm more concerned about how much i'm getting out of the game rather than how pretty it looks :hmmm: I was already skeptical it was going to be half assed when they announced multiple endings so this isn't doing much to boost my confidence.

i think content wise soo far it looks pretty good :hmmm: the storyline looks better than the old.. the main thing the XIII had was it had a great story.. but you had to play it for like 12 hours before the story got decent :hmph:... and for the love of god... please no tutorials every 5 mins :hmph:

Nothing wrong with tutorials, they need to introduce the players to new systems in the game :hmmm: not everyone is going to follow the news stuff like a hawk :wacky:

Tbh i'm more hoping it doesn't half ass it's story like 13 did and include info on places and people in a datalog and actually introduce it to the player in-game. You managed to get sufficient info on people and such in other FF games, why not this one?

PS3 owners won't be able to make fun of their Xbox 360 friends about having to get up and swap discs every 20 hours or so when playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. Famitsu reveals this week that both the 360 and PS3 versions of the game take up just one disc.
Good. Multiple discs is a thing of the past generations, not of this one, and disc swapping is and always will be highly aggravating.

Does this mean that Square Enix has rushed the game out with little content? In an interview with the magazine, director Motomu Toriyama says that the game actually has the same amount of volume as the original. The reason they're able to fit the game in less space this time is that the event scenes are real time. In addition to saving Xbox 360 players a trip from the couch to the entertainment center (horrors!), this has the added bonus of event scenes showing your armor changes.
Of course they rushed the game out, you have but to look at the development time to see that, as well as the thoroughly nonsensical "plot" that they've contrived, and the "gameplay" gimmicks that would be best suited to games of a different genre, to see they haven't put much of an effort into it. Squeezing it down has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they've rushed it.

Although...event scenes showing armour changes? Does this mean that when you equip a piece of armour, it'll FINALLY register? It's about bloody time. Shame it's in FFXIII-2, though...all the same, I suppose this is a point in it's favour.

HOPE

The version of Hope shown in the Tokyo Game Show trailer is from 10 years after FFXIII, when the character is 24 years old. He's head of a scientific investigation group of some form.
...and yet he's still an obnoxious little brat with absolutely diabolical fashion sense. Some things will never change, I suppose.

NOEL

It was previously revealed that new main character Noel is from the future where he somehow managed to become the last remaining human. According to Famitsu, he's having some memory problems due to a time paradox.
What Steve said. No doubt this is just a convenient way to explain what passes for the plot to the player. If Noel has memory problems that means he won't contradict the giant plotholes that are no doubt going to show up as a result of this...after all, storylines that play about with time rarely make much sense.

KAIAS

The TGS trailer introduced us to Kaias, the mysterious character from the first FFXIII-2 trailer way back in January. Did you get an evil villain vibe from him? Then your evil villain detector is working! Kaias is a villain who's having a bad influence on both Valhalla, the place where Lightning spends her time nowadays, and Serah's world.
He's voice by Liam O'Brien, and he looks like Vayne Solidor in Kain Highwind's armour. OF COURSE he's going to be the villain. At least he looks and sounds the part. All that remains to be seen is the extent of his influence...and, for once, I have no complaints. So long as he has an epic theme and sufficient backstory and development to complement his design, he could be a good villain.

CHAOS

In the TGS trailers, did you spot the black smoke that looked like it was coming from Lightning? It's called "Chaos."
Well, if they're drawing attention to it, it's probably important, in an obvious "this is the main threat" way.

VIOLENCE

The game will have some extreme scenes, although not at the level of Final Fantasy Type-0. (I believe this means scenes of extreme violence and war-like depictions, which is something that Type-0 is said to have a lot of).
That...isn't particularly violent.

QTEs

Not fond of QTEs? While XIII-2 will have quick timer events, there won't be much of a demerit if you fail at them. There will be some merits to clearing them, but only subtle.
Probably something to do with ratings, or dealing slightly more damage than normal. QTEs aren't exactly difficult to do anyway.

CRYSTARIUM

In the original FFXIII, your characters had limits on how far they could advance in their Crystarium growth chart. The limits were increased as the story progressed. In XIII-2, there are no level limits. If you work at it, you can make yourself super powerful from the start.
Alright, so maybe they HAVE been listening to the fans a little. They should have done this with the first game. It's an RPG, and you're supposed to be able to grind in RPGs. The Crystarium is still a poorly designed system - it's just a shinier Sphere Grid, only without the customization potential - but at least they're not going to draw attention to just how awful it is in the sequel by putting a stupidly ridiculous cap on it.

PARTIES

In XIII-2, you can now switch your currently controlled character during battle. Also, different from XIII, the battle does not end when your leader dies.
Good. Battle ending when your leader died in the original was pure stupidity, especially considering how incompetent the AI was.

All the same, these are things that they should have done with the original game, and things you would expect from a good RPG. It still needs to provide a good, solid story and cast and, given it's building on the original game's inexistant story and diabolical cast, I don't honestly think it'll amount to very much. If it were an entirely new game, my interest would be piqued, but it's a sequel, so it's going to be limited by the original. Unfortunately.

*Do happy dance*

I happen to have xbox360 and 1 disc makes me a happy camper.

everything else also sounds good to me. Leader switching, no crystarium cap, etc.

Yes, I am glad the 360 version will have just one disc. That is amazing.. since I do not have to get up and switch discs all the frickin time. I am VERY happy that the battle does not end when your leader dies. I have a feeling I will have so much more fun in Final Fantasy XIII-2 than I did with the original XIII. Violence? ohoho I wonder what "extreme" scenes they will have besides stabbing Noel down. Hope will defo be a character I will be able to handle this time around. So you can grind from the start? So just like any other FF game. Brilliant! Yup, Kaias is defo one of the coolest villains I have ever seen. I am still convinced that someone else is more evil than him towards the end though. Armour changes? It is about time methinks!

I didn't rewad the part about the leveling up and party... the leveling up thing was needed.. it limited you on how far u could level up :grin:

and party... horray u can change ther party member... but why wasn't it in the first game :hmph.. also no more swearing when the leader dies.. but the other two are alive.. yet their too stupid to carry on with a battle and u get an game over... dam that was annorying :hmph:

I'm kind of concerned about the disc reduction (though I'm a PS3 owner so I supposed I'm bias in that sense). As long as the content is at the same length/level (and hopefully better), I'm okay with it: but I am skeptical that will be the case with such a reduction in discs. I suppose we'll see.

The crystallium thing is good I guess, I didn't like the limits, though it did mean you could advance the story line quicker. The rest sounds good, though I cannot imagine violence being particularly important here (though it is targeted at a younger audience)

I am very, very, VERY...cautious about getting my hopes up for this game. My interest is rising...but I don't want it to be a bomb (in my personal opinion, of course) like XIII was. But it seems like they're fixing everything I hated about XIII. You can control more than one character, you don't lose if your "leader" dies, battles are more fluid, and we actually have a male lead who is worth a damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back