Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
Square Enix held the Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy Battle Tournament + event earlier today. But the big attraction may have actually been an upcoming Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy Type-0. Midway through the event, attendees were treated to a demo play session.

The event was broadcast on Nico Nico Video. You can see all twenty minutes of the Type-0 gameplay footage at Nico Nico (account required), or view a YouTube version here:

Part 1 subbed

Part 2 subbed

The clip begins with director Hajime Tabata starting up the game and going into a debug menu which has five pre-arranged slots:

• 1. The basics of the game
  • 2. A fight against a powerful enemy
  • 3. A look at multiplayer
  • 4. A look at some of the challenging missions that require multiplayer (these aren't needed to clear the game)
  • 5. A look at the air ship that you can control yourself
He then goes through each slot in succession.
Here are some screens that 4Gamer managed to capture from the event:

FpeUS.jpg

1e9aW.jpg

ekSHM.jpg

ZuJv2.jpg

ZNbli.jpg

8gS3K.jpg

84wOO.jpg

trdKc.jpg

lSr1V.jpg

oBHGv.jpg

G2fQ0.jpg

I3caV.jpg

He began with the first save slot, which started with the game's opening movie. You might recognize some scenes from this from the game's January promo video. Tabata skipped over the full sequence saying that it's still being developed.

Next, Tabata took control, making his character, Rem, run around the magic school. In the lower right is a message: 12 hours until the start of the operation. The Moogle in the upper left appears to be reminding you of that.

The magic school serves as your base of operations. Tabata noted that it's quite expansive, as you can probably tell from the play footage.

NMarO.jpg

As Tabata enters the school, he explains that the game's playable characters are part of a particularly elite class of students. He takes Rem to her classroom. In the classroom, students take classes for improving their magic abilities. The text was a bit unclear, but I believe the Moogle Tabata speaks to offers to share some of the world's history.

xSv4f.jpg

Py2LV.jpg

Next, Tabata goes to the roof, which triggers a cut scene involving Rem and Machina. Rem and Machina are both observing that the power of the crystals has returned... or something like that. Tabata notes that Rem and Machina are particularly important to the story. They were drawn by Tetsuya Nomura.

rlQD1.jpg

oX1BU.jpg

PcHfa.jpg

Tabata takes control of Rem again, shows off some of the scenery from the school balcony, then goes back inside. He encounters a character with an exclamation mark on her head. In this case, the character asks Rem to loan her 5,000 Gil.

You'll notice that the time counter in the lower right is slowly going down to zero. Once this reaches zero, you'll begin a mission that's part of the story. This mission is required and will take you out to specific mission points on the world map.

Tabata comes to a gate and is given the option of going out to the world map. Instead, he chooses to go to the air ship launch pad.

e5vlR.jpg

BbwWg.jpg

The world map, Tabata confirms, is like what players expect of a Final Fantasy game. It's expansive, you'll get into encounter-based battles with monsters as you walk, and there are dungeons. He also confirms that there are towns on the map, and you'll be able to visit them for shopping and so-forth.

The air ship sequence Tabata shows here is just to show off the map in its "normal state." Unlike the air ship that's shown later in the play session, this one is used to jump to specific locals that you select from a map -- you don't actually control it.

WMQza.jpg

1sK7s.jpg

Tabata disembarks from the air ship in what looks like a snowy field. He quickly gets into a random encounter. I think Tabata says the encounter effect was created by art director Yusuke Naora to be like "K1" (not sure what that refers to). It was just recently added.

vnEwM.jpg

HdqGh.jpg

During battle, you'll notice that the characters absorb energy from their fallen foes. This is a special system in Type-0, explains Tabata. The energy is called "Phantoma." When you absorb it, you recover some of your MP. This is particularly important for Type-0, as the game is heavy on magic use (the characters being students in a magic school and all...). The Phantoma is also used for customizing and upgrading your magic.

Next, Rem boards a Chocobo and runs around a bit. But before Tabata can enter a dungeon (which looks like it's guarded by a massive foe) he selects to return back to the school. The timer shows four hours left until the story mission.

7gQAc.jpg

yjqRu.jpg

Before exiting into the world map through the gate, which apparently forwards the time to the start of the main mission, Tabata explains what he meant by "normal" world map above. The countries in the world of Type-0 are at war. Some areas of the world map are battle zones, and if you go there you'll encounter armies in battle directly on the world map.

You can see this in the sequence that follows. The enemy and ally armies are facing off, casting magic at one-another. Tabata takes control of Rem, running about the world map. Before going to the designated mission point to begin the mission, he makes Rem support the Suzaku armies by casting magic directly at the enemy.

Once the battle ends, this area of the world map will return to normal state.

8Yv8v.jpg

J3y2n.jpg

Tabata arrives at the mission point, a town. He firsts selects the characters who will take part in the battle -- your player character, and two AI characters. For the main character, he selects a summon. It looks like the characters have multiple summons at their disposal, although in this case only Golem is available.

Before battle begins, the game gives you the option of toggling multiplayer mode on and off.

As the extremely action-heavy mission progresses, Tabata explains the game's "kill sight" system. You'll see a red mark appear on the enemy as you fight. This is shown when the enemy leaves an opening. If you connect an attack during this time, the enemy will die instantaneously. The system name is "Instantaneous Death Battle."

xy6Bh.jpg

EemkG.jpg

Continuing with battle, Tabata shows a character change. During single player play, you can freely switch off between characters. In this case, Tabata switches to recently introduced Sice. You can see how wide his attacks are thanks to his scythe, although Tabata also notes that you can connect attacks together. He then switches to Rem, noting that she's particularly adept with magic attacks, then to Queen.

Next, he summons Golem. You can call out the game's summons whenever you want, but as previously detailed the calling character is killed off. In this case, Sice is sacrificed to bring out Golem, who is particularly strong with physical attacks. For normal enemies, Golem can just stomp on them to do damage. As you use the summon, you can see a timer counting down the time limit to the right.

xj2gp.jpg

uMofK.jpg

Following the Golem component, Tabata switches to the second save file. The first save file showed an early fight with the Byakko forces. The second file is midway through the game and shows a fight against the Soryu forces. He first uses Machina, then Nine, who he kills off to summon Golem.

Time begins to run out for the demo session. Rather than showing the multiplayer areas, Tabata shows the playable air ship sequence. However, he does explain a bit about the multiplayer play. He describes it as being akin to a fighting game, where other players will interrupt your play session.

Here, they're not interrupting to fight you, but to support you. If you set the multiplayer mode to on (in the pre mission toggle screen), other players can come in for brief periods and play alongside you and help you. Tabata promised further details in a later update.

The reason Tabata wanted to show off the air ship sequence so bad is because it has shooting elements! You can blast away at things.

o70Nl.jpg

HRf2Y.jpg

aG4ux.jpg

Dmtyf.jpg

Source: Andriasang 1|2

Last edited:
Just watched all that gameplay. I must say I am really impressed. If this is not going to be my favorite psp game then I don't know what will. This is most likely going to be the psp game I look forward to the most. I love that in single player you can just switch to whatever character you want. The world map is absolutely gorgeous and is a huge improvement from XIII which had no towns... The school is pretty awesome. I love that the classrooms is where they improve their magic abilities as Tabata showed when he went to Rem's classroom as Rem. So far I really like Rem's magic abilities, her dagger moves etc. The sacrificing of a character to summon is pretty weird but I absolutely LOVE that you can control the summon. Huge improvement from other FF games imo. I want to see more at this very moment. Just loving this game so much right now! Each Member of the school has a different weapon. Machina is actually one of the guys I like. His weapons are unique and most of all badass. I just want to play the game now...

Last edited:
Finally. Someone's now subbed the damn footage. It should be a tad easier to understand the mechanics now and what the heck Tabata's crew is on about:

Part 1

Part 2

I'll replace the OP's raw footage with the subbed ones.

This looks very promising. I can't wait to find out more about the story and how the game will develop. The magic school looked great as well, I hope there will be more areas in the game that are designed that well. At first I did find it quite amusing the way he was emphasising the 'controllable airships!' seeing as that's something that's been present in FF since the dawn of time, but I was somewhat aback when I saw that there was airship combat involved. It looked a bit empty in that element, but I'm sure that's something that will improve during development. I just hope that Americans and Europeans don't have to wait too long for this, the PSP FF games except for Duodecim and the I, II and IV remakes have all taken quite a few months to be released outside Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back