[18/01] Final Fantasy XIII-2 announced for PS3, 360, confirmed for 2011!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
ffxiii2.jpg

Square Enix has just announced Final Fantasy XIII-2 at its Japanese event. Motomu Toriyama, director of FFXIII, will direct the game again. Yoshinori Kitase will most likely take on the producer role once again. A new character was also shown alongside Lightning, as was a new logo, as seen above. It’ll be out in 2011 in Japan. There’s no date for a release elsewhere.

Source: VG247

The trailer for FFXIII-2 will launch on Thursday on the game’s official website [here.]

Last edited:
2011? For serious? O_O

They announced it not long ago and it'll be released within the year? While it's good that we won't be waiting an age for it, hope that doesn't lead to a rushed job :hmmm: especially if they're trying to win favour for FF13...

wow, I gotta say I'm shocked... It would be so much profitable to just work on FFXV...
On the other hand they probably going to use the same engine, so it's no big task.

I bet it ends up being that 60 hours worth of cut content job. Either way, I'm not holding out for it, Final Fantasy XIII came out less than a year ago and they're already announcing FFXIII-2 for this year, plus with the same directors I can't see there being a massive overhaul where it is needed most.

Also, character on the left of the logo. Yuna wearing Ugg boots.

Are you kidding me? Oh my god. xD

I can't stop continuing to laugh about how this game didn't need a sequel, it was fine the way it is. But if they can make this game better than the original XIII, it will be worth it. If they do the same thing, or worse... Well... They'll screw themselves over.

Hahahaha Oh my god I knew this would happen. My predictions are just always right. A new character alongside Lightning now? Cool. This was a nice thing to wake up to. I just hope it doesnt feel just like XIII. This is pretty early for an XIII-2 though. PS3 and 360 once again. :hmmm: Well I want to see the trailer on Thursday. It better not dissapoint me.

It was quite a bad day for me and...

THIS HAS JUST TURNED THINGS UPSIDE DOWN!

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW that they are really making a sequel.

and to top things off, it's also for xbox360 (hoping there's an asian version for xbox too)

and it's out so fast???

can't wait to see the trailer :)

well before anyone thinks that I am some random FFXIII fanboy, I am not. I like the game, but like everyone says, it lacks too many things and it is not a good FF game. If they can do things right and fix all the mistakes, a sequel will just be the way to go. Though I will be very disappointed if this game is going to be an exact copy of XIII minus the storyline.

cool logo by the way.

2011? SERIOUSLY? Can anyone say "rushed cash-in"?

FFXIII was crap. It had no storyline whatsoever, the worst "gameplay" I have ever had the misfortune of slogging through, abysmal soundtrack, and the worst cast in the history of RPGs. Now they're releasing a second game. ONE YEAR AFTERWARDS.

...are Square Enix *trying* to drive people away?

One year between the two is not enough time to make a decent game. Hell, they'd need 3 more years just to try and make a story in the first place for FFXIII-2 to be based on, since XIII sorely lacked anything like a story. Something tells me this is going to be very much a totally pointless sequel. First the compilation of FFVII, now this.

Plus, Toriyama directing. AGAIN. Do they never learn? M. Night Shyamalan does a better job of directing than that incompetent moron. No doubt we're going to be treated to lots of stupid statements about how awesome the game will be, then a ton of bitching at the inevitable criticism it's going to get.

In short? FUCK NO. XIII IS A LOST CAUSE. MOVE ON.

Last edited:
So the characters on the logo supposed to be Lightning and this new person? As long as this guy/gal doesn't turn out to be another Lluyd from Revenant Wings. He disappointed and bored me, though overall, I didn't get much of a novelty out of that game anyway, he didn't do nothing to help keep my attention.

Now what I make of this, fine okay, just don't slow down on Agito. And if you release this before, make it good enough to keep me entertained til it comes out.

Rushed Cash in:lew: Cynic.

There is a bit of that involved in all exploits of making a new game, but do you really think S-E would just do it for money, it doesnt have anything to d with the fact the like making games?

They know they screwed up FFXIII and obviously think there is still some potential in the characters, which i agree with, the characters were not the problem with FFXIII it was the gameplay and some of the elements that were its weakness.

Plus thing about where FFXIII left of........in a world waiting to be reexplored and conquered again, No Fang or Vanille will be a downer:sad3: but S-E made that choice with Aeris many years ago so they and we have to live with it.

100% a good thing. Well maybe 90%.FF is not based on Absolutes:ryan:

Am I the only one excited for this? :wacky:
I know a lot of people hate XIII but I actually rather like it, so hearing that we'll get that extra 60 hours or so is a good thing in my eyes, I did wonder if that was going to be added in any way.

I just (kind of) hope they don't do an X-2 and bring certain you know who's back for no reason, not that I'd like it, but it'd spoil the ending as X-2 kinda did with X.

Am I the only one excited for this? :wacky:
I know a lot of people hate XIII but I actually rather like it, so hearing that we'll get that extra 60 hours or so is a good thing in my eyes, I did wonder if that was going to be added in any way.

I just (kind of) hope they don't do an X-2 and bring certain you know who's back for no reason, not that I'd like it, but it'd spoil the ending as X-2 kinda did with X.

As mentioned in this last thread, I totally agree with keeping so and so you know where, it will ruin the bittersweet ending of XIII.

I did enjoy the characters, I feel they compensated a lot for XII's rather dull cast with a few exceptions. The story was engaging too but had a few rough patches here and there. Sometimes battles kept me on my toes, but got repetative when they got too easy.

To make XIII-2 more enjoyable for me; Characters are brilliant, stay beautiful along with the voice acting, story, don't make half arsed baddies and don't tease us with fights that ain't gonna happen, and battles, I'm willing to sacrifice speed for control of the whole party.

Edit: OOOOHHH! And nearly forgot, towns and a world map would be lovely.

Last edited:
Rushed Cash in:lew: Cynic.

There is a bit of that involved in all exploits of making a new game, but do you really think S-E would just do it for money, it doesnt have anything to d with the fact the like making games?
In short, yes. Square Enix has proven that they do these things just for the money - look at all the remakes and ports we've had. FFIV has been re-released FOUR TIMES (GBA, DS, Wii and PSP). If that isn't cashing in on success, I don't know what is. FFX-2 came out because FFX did so well. The compilation of FFVII is the same thing, as well.

Square Enix aren't in the business because they like it, they're in it because it pays out big time. But XIII was received so negatively when compared to other FFs I don't know why the hell they're bothering. This will sell, but I expect it'll get slashed in price about a week after it's release, and (hopefully) the complaints will outweight the compliments this time so they don't get any more stupid ideas.

This bugs me, though. Apparently they thought XIII was incomplete. If XIII was incomplete, why the hell did they release it?! This is probably going to be "part 2" as opposed to a proper sequel...as if anything about FFXIII could be proper anyway. I'll just bet it's just a string of even more random occurences with flashbacks, recoloured monsters from the first XIII, obligatory cameos from various characters nobody gave a shit about the first time, a couple more locations, and if we're lucky a superboss or two. Exactly like FFX-2, only nowhere near as fun.

Exceeding FFXIII in every way isn't exactly difficult, either. The claim about a dramatic storyline doesn't impress me, because Toriyama wouldn't know what "dramatic" was even if it descended from the sky in a meteor shower and bit him in the arse. Lightning looks like a bad Valkyrie Profile cosplayer, and this new "rival" character probably isn't going to be much more than a feeble attempt at a plot device that, like the entirety of FFXIII, goes absolutely nowhere and has nothing even remotely like a satisfying conclusion.

Unless I see some DRASTIC turnabout, my cynicism is going to remain, and I won't be making the mistake of wasting my money on this.

I understand that FFXIII received some positive reception, but I just can't see the need for this, and I definetely can't see how they could possibly make a good game within the stretch of a year when it took them three times that length of time to release the first FFXIII. Waste of time, waste of money, waste of space.

Last edited:
I would think they have been working on enough PS3 technology now over aslong time to have incredible insight to the depths and range of the hardware, and like you say they will rush it, but they can because even a half decent Ps3 game looks goos.

And being S-e they will do a quality job not the best but a quality effort on any release, credit where its due they do good work let down by a few critical choices. This game may not have the need ion some people eyes but you can say that about Video games in general.

Just let them develop it and play it or dont play, Cashing in means we get another game
the more the better, up to a certain limit I believe.

:ffs: Martelovski I agree so much with you...

This FF13-2 is now official.....so its the 60+ content that was left out from the original?
You guys get towns? You guys get shops? You guys get a better battlesystem?

What will you guys get? I havent played FF13 in the first place so why should I buy this one..

This must be the 60+ hour content they missed from FF13 otherwise they would invest valuable time for a new project and focus less time on better projects like FF14,Versus and FF15!

SE made me very pessimistic...............

vlgame030971.png

Last edited:
Agree that it's the stuff left out of the original game.

not a new game per se at all.

Bah...Will I buy it ?
Probably.But I am not expecting much from it.

because Toriyama wouldn't know what "dramatic" was even if it descended from the sky in a meteor shower and bit him in the arse.
Toriyama doesn't know much to be honest, apparently he said at the event that Final Fantasy XIII-2 came about because of the demand from fans which to be fair, is bullshit. For me personally, Final Fantasy XIII-2 needs to be pretty much the complete opposite of what Final Fantasy XIII was in all aspects.

I'm just curious to know what kind of bullshit narrative they're pulling out of their asses this time to explain the silly armor. If it really is coming out this year then would it kill them to show in game footage? You know, to sort of show us that they really mean to deliver an improved product instead of making us think Lightning is a cosplayer now?

Regardless of people's opinions, this is going to be released at the end of the day. Fair enough if there are people that didn't like the original game, but there are still others who loved it and many people will still buy it, regardless of opinions. Which I find ironic.

So this could possibly signal a 2012 release for everywhere else then? More than looking forward to it, I'm intrigued. Yes, I enjoyed the first game. Admittedly, it wasn't the best FF, but it wasn't the worst either. I'm curious as to which direction a sequel would take the characters next because that's probably the question on everyone's lips.

Apparently dressing Lightning up in some pretty feathers and a metal bustier is going to help SE sell more copies of XIII-2...because who knows what the story itself is going to be like :wacky:

IF this gets good reviews after its released I might consider it :hmmm: But it would need to be a 100% improvement from the last.

The only thing that really irritates me is how this is going to be released this year and the games that they announced years ago are still TBA with release dates. I'd rather have Versus rather than this, I've waited long enough for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back