[17/03] Square plans second Canadian studio for next-gen consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
deusex37.jpg

According to a La Presse Affaires report, Square Enix is to set up a second Canadian development studio for work on next generation consoles.

The new Canadian studio will “probably” open in 2012, and, according to La Presse, “its employees will work on large-scale games for new generations of home consoles.”

Square’s Stéphane d’Astous said: “The new consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will require more attention and more staff. We want to prepare ourselves.”

According to the story, “three cities are vying for the studio at least 100 employees: Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.”

“The negotiating process has begun,” said D’Astous.

The publisher is looking to take advantage of Quebec tax credits, which will apparently amount to “millions of dollars”.

Square Enix will decide the location of his second studio in Canada by the end of May, but the timeframe is “a goal, not an ultimatum,” according to D’Astous.

Square Enix already has a major developer in place in Canada: Eidos Montreal is currently working on Deus Ex and Thief reboots.

Source: VG247

As long as they don't touch any Square titles, I couldn't care less for tasteless trash they going to produce.

Second? Does this mean we already have an SE Studio somewhere? And for next Gen... do they mean 4th? So many questions!

So they want to take advantage of the capital"s tax credit?? it will save millions??I dont quite understand....

Will they work on FF titles or other shitty titles they seem to be spitting out......lately..

Next gen is like 5 years away I reckon..im not sure what to think of this news....

It could mean they could work on 2 major FF title at the same time......sigh I'll keep on dreaming..

FF15 & 16 simultaniously......ljizz

Eidos Montreal is Square Enix's current canadian studio and this new one will be developing for the next cycle of consoles. It's unlikely that they would work on FF titles as to my prediction they want a slice of the market here in the west. So it's more likely that they would work on original IP that are more appealing to their target demographic.

Eidos Montreal is Square Enix's current canadian studio
This. When Square-Enix purchased Edios, it purchased all rights to its studios' as well. I'm curious as to know what IPs they will be working on though, especially if they're completely new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back