Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
cbM3G.jpg

Square Enix posted its 2010/2011 fiscal results today, and we've been digging through the results files that were provided to investors in search of any interesting information on the games Square Enix are producing.

One slide of the presentation is dedicated to outlining release dates for Key Titles that have already been announced that will release between now and March 2012. That includes release dates we already knew including Deus Ex: Human Revolution in August, Dungeon Siege III in June and Final Fantasy XIII-2 "this Winter" - but the absenses from the list are what is truly interesting.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII doesn't make an appearance on the list at all, despite being a big-budget, huge title for Square Enix. It recently had its first proper gameplay footage shown off in Japan back in January, but its absense from this list suggests a release won't happen now until Summer 2012 at the earliest - and that would be for Japan.

Also absent from the list is Final Fantasy XIV's Playstation 3 release. Once seen as a major title for Square Enix, the PS3 version of the MMO was indefinitely delayed after the PC version suffered from a disasterous launch. The game has been shifted to be free to play until quality has been improved, and much of the original FF14 development team has been 'moved on' quietly by Square Enix and replaced by fresh blood.

The lack of any listing on this release list means grim things for Square Enix's flagship MMO. Newly appointed FF14 Producer Naoki Yoshida has said that the game wouldn't launch on PS3 until the PC version has been fixed, and has been reaching out to fans for advice - but the question now is if this indefinite delay stretches past March 2012 or if Square Enix has decided to can the PS3 version entirely.

While the list only deals in "Previously Announced" titles, both Final Fantasy XIV PS3 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII have been formally announced by Square Enix in Japan - twice in the case of Versus - once at E3 2006 and again this January at the 1st Production Department Premiere Conference in Japan. Final Fantasy XIV on PS3 was formally announced in the West as well as Japan.

A final interesting note from the slide comes for Final Fantasy Type-0, previously known as Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Type-0 is listed for a release "This Summer" in Japan but any details on a Western release is notably absent. Type-0 has been formally announced in Japan but not in the West, which might explain the absense of a Western date there.

Source: RPG Site

8( They must be having real problems with the ps3 XIV for them not to announce it coming out...I wonder if they are just cutting their losses and have decided they just aren't going to release it for the ps3. I'm not going to cry home about it though...after all of the problems they've had with the pc version I had already written off getting XIV for my ps3.

Versus not being on the list isn't much of a surprise either...although I am admittedly regretful that it isn't. We've all been looking forward to it for so long...and still nothing. I seriously doubt that it will be released in the summer in Japan...I'd guess winter for Japan...since XIII-2 is getting released this winter...am I wrong in thinking it seems they wait to release their major console FF titles until during the winter months? Anyways...that most likely means 2013 for us Westerners...at the earliest. Oooohh the wait continues, and continues, and continues....

Disappointing that Versus is going to take even longer to come out now.. but meh they want to make it the greatest Final Fantasy ever? Fine by me. I am dissappointed that Type-0 only has a Japanese release date and no western release yet as well.. Final Fantasy XIV seems to be falling out of line as well. As for FF XIII-2.. if it is coming out this winter for us western release.. great.. least Ill have an FF game to play.

Honestly? I don't really care for final fantasy versus anymore, not gonna check every day if there is gonna be finally some news or release date. I'll see the commercial on tv somewhere in 2013 I guess,

And I wonder how FFXIII-2 will be since they plan to release it this fast.

They are still working on the PS3 release of FFXIV for sure. The developers are communicating to the players via the new forums they launched. I wouldn't write the game off just yet, there have been a fair amount of people returning to the game thanks to word of mouth. I've seen players leaving Rift and coming back to say the game feels like it should have at launch. It's not done yet though, the battle system + dungeon content (aka the big one) are coming in June. It will probably make or break the game I think.

Got word back from Yoshida about the changes that they're planning to implement. Like I assumed, there aren't concrete details on what precisely is being done that I care share, but he said that along with the PS3 version development, they are performing optimization work to overall the core engine to make improvements.
Taken from
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/5874-Dev-Overtaxation-of-PC-Hardware

Versus not on the list is no surprise at all, that game is becoming more of a mirage. But XIV (ps3)not on the list is very disappointing for me, i for some reason thought id get that this year..guess not. At least xiii-2 is there, although it might be a fail. one out of 3 isnt good enough.

No surprise on Versus, we've known since January it wouldn't be out till after XIII-2.
The lack of North America info on Type-0 is surprising. You'd think they'd want to give a title that had so much resources put into it some time before the NGP.

LOL, what's Final Fantasy Versus XIII? :wacky:

I'm sure the world will grieve that FFXIV isn't being released on the PS3. Because, of course, a glitch-ridden pile of rubbish is just what the PS3 needs right now. It'd be a welcome change of pace. Oh, wait.

...I know I'll be grieving that they actually made FFXIII-2 and that they're serious about releasing another horror upon the gaming population, but eh, there we are.

Also...Dungeon Siege 3! :yay:

This comes to no surprise anyway. Up until March 2012 the major release for the rest of this fiscal year is FFXIII-2 and perhaps Type-0 depending on when they decide to announce a western release window. Versus on the other hand, I think Q3 or Q4 2012 still remains a sensible estimate for its release not just in Japan but worldwide as well (it didn't take that long at all to wait for FFXIII's western release after the Japanese release, only less than 3 months which was pretty decent) unless another problem in development means it has to be pushed back. Not that I study this in any way or know the business strategies of multinational videogame companies, but they will kind of need a big release in this massive fiscal year space of 2012 and it's still realistic to have Versus be the big release to fill in that gap before their next projects on the horizon for 2013.

As much as I'd love to see their fortunes reverse for FFXIV (I do not envy the team that has to clear up that mess), I'm still sceptical of its very existence now. The MMO market is already becoming very saturated anyway and SE's fortunes were not mitigated at all by FFXIV being a flop with such negative publicity. I don't doubt that there are people looking forward to the PS3 release whenever that may be, but SE is dangerously on the precipice. I don't think with the MMO market as it is anyone can afford to screw up a launch schedule and much of what comes afterwards in this schedule like they did with FFXIV. Still, I suppose they still do have a chance with turning things around. The market can get a bit fickle now and then.

This list really doesnt provide anything it just confirms what we all thought(anyone that was expecting versus to release early 2012 must've been a bit daft :wacky:).......But It is a little piss-taking they are saying nothing other than "this winter" for the western realease date. As for versus sf it doesnt release in 2012 that wouldn't suprise me either, I dont think SE have ever released a major FF, the next year after each major installmant.

lol I predicted Versus coming Q4 2012 JP ..hoping actually..lol if its not out by then I will lose all hope...SE isnt the same anymore..little to no info at all and so freeking slowpaced...keep the cgi as it is..focus on one project at a time instead of spewing dozens of side projects that reels in unsufficient revenue what basically waste time and investments.....

SE has losses and they blame console failments or something..lol get your shit together SE.

FF13-2 is either a whole new FF which they can make in such a short time compared to other ff titles IMO BS ..or its just 70% of the original"s cut content...or it will be delayed as well.......

Wish I had a psp for Agito when it comes out.only thing that interest me at the time...

I've had to wait long enough for XIII Verses by now that I don't mind waiting a few years more.Heck,even if it turns into the next Duke Nukem Forever and we have to wait till 2020,I wouldn't mind.:monster:As long as it's awesome when it comes out.It's just about the only SE game on the horizon that I'm really,really looking forward to.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII or XIII versus... whatever it is, I got to the point where I have no idea what it's suppose to be about or anything about it minus the fact it has almost nothing to do with XIII.

I think Versus took a side step when they announced XIII-2(anyone else find it funny they dont put II instead of 2 :wacky: )

Another thing that shouldn't shock people is Final Fantasy XIV for ps3 not being announced date yet. The PC is still free to play, I'm guessing that once you have to start paying each month for the pc version we won't hear much of a ps3 release date, unless they go with a different plan like what Guild wars is doing and give people free to play the game and pay for special armor and that stuff.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 being on the list is scarring me a little, I wish they wouldn't put a set date on it already, when they announced it after all these other games that aren't on the list, it almost feel's like there going rush it to try and milk XIII already (which I have no idea why when a good chunk of the fan base is skeptical about FFXIII so i didn't think there would be much to milk from it,) but I guess we can hope for the best.

As far as Type 0 goes, I am going to see what others say before I even think about buying that game, I'm not a fan of many psp games (minus remakes of PS1 games sadly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back