don't climb too high, ribbit
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Drake Noir
FFXIV Server
Sargatanas
image2.png

Square Enix formally unveiled Dragon Quest X: Awakening of the Five Tribes. As promised the game is for Wii and as a surprise it is an online role playing game.

A trailer was shown with five races: ogre, elf, dwarf, pukuripo, and wedi.

Update: Dragon Quest X will be released for Wii U too with enhanced graphics.

image3.png
image4.png

image5.png
image6.png

image7.png
image8.png

image9.png
image10.png

Screenshots from the trailer

Source: Siliconera

Also, the trailer in full and two gameplay trailers can be found here: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=160555

Last edited:
Fuck you Square Enix. Fuck you hard and Fuck you good.
Congratulations on killing DQ. Now just kill FF and be done with it.

It's not that bad. I wish they'd stray away from the mutiplayer aspect, though. I wanted more character development and less social interaction with real life people (not as bad as it sounds :gasp:). Although the battle system seems to have died completely. I liked the classic turn based battle. Now it looks pretty boring to look at and you may as well just be controlling one person. Seems more active time battle now. On the plus side, the music sounds great, and the character models and world look really good.

SaLXV.jpg

Look at that one glorious screenshot. While I'm not one to complain about the graphics as long as the gameplay is good, that looks an awful lot like a PSP game rather than on a console that is supposed to be on a similar graphical level to the PS2 (and compare this to Dragon Quest VIII).

I totally died a bit when it was announced that the game is an online title? Fantastic, I thought, they are heading down FFXI and FFXIV territory with the Dragon Quest series. Whatever could be next? Kingdom Hearts III is an online title with a choice of various customisable Disney characters from Captain Jack Sparrow to Jiminy Cricket? Why on earth would they want to make yet another MMO, particularly a Dragon Quest one where the main Japanese audience wouldn't really give an ounce of shit about MMOs and would want only a one-player journey like DQVIII? And the Wii? I don't know about the Wii U, but in terms of online gaming, the Wii doesn't handle online anywhere near as well as its rival consoles anyway. The moment I saw the word "Online", I wrote this game off completely, until:

According to Saito, you’ll be able to clear the game 100 percent on your own. You don’t have to play with others if you don’t want to; you can use NPC characters instead.

Source: Gematsu
So it's like a glorified DQIX then, with the online sort of taken to the next level? So I'm a little confused then. Is this a proper MMO with what could dangerously be a half-arsed single-player experience then, or still at the core a proper Dragon Quest game like the eighth title, but with a heavy online interface, community and focus at the same time? Or am I totally misreading it and that it is completely an MMO title that you will be charged for even if you want the single-player experience? Only they can take a vapourware title that I was actually looking forward to considerably, and just come out of the announcement leaving me feel utterly underwhelmed.

Nice one Square-Enix, put probably your best franchise in terms of quality on the shittest console, then say you're going to make it an online RPG with the worst controls and usage fees on the shittest console. It honestly baffles me why they're sticking with Nintendo, for handheld games I can understand but come oooooooon, for console games go with the 360 at the very least :yawn:

I honestly don't like Dragon Quest very much (the art style in particular disagrees with me) so I'm not too fussed. Honestly, an online title sounds rather intriguing, since the most fun I've ever had online on a game was on the Wii, with Monster Hunter Tri. So some online multiplayer could be fun, although no matter what they say, I just know the story is going to suffer for it. Although DQ storylines have never really been much good.

I doubt I'll get this; Square Enix and online don't mix, and nothing really appears to have changed, so it just isn't very appealing. I made a mistake buying DQIX - it was fun enough at points, but mostly tedious - and buying another game in this series is not a mistake I'd so willingly make again.

Yeah I really did not like what I saw when this was announced. Why in the world would they make Dragon Quest an online title? It is so disappointing to hear this. If you can play the game by yourself, and not online... will it change the story in various ways? I mean.. is it an mmo.. or an rpg? MMo's tend to have no story at all... either that or a really shit one. I will wait for more info and see if it intrigues me. I really doubt it though. XIV and XI have influenced DQ now? Oh dear.

Last edited:
Online RPG, guys. Think Phantasy Star Online. You could play the game by yourself (although the game was devoid of a proper story and lovable characters) and enjoy it, or you could play it with your friends online or in split screen. Then again, Phantasy Star Universe was pretty shit because of how they added those sorts of things in. The idea of this is dumb, I was hoping for more of something like VIII.

And Fleur, that looks like a bad screenshot. The trailers and in game videos made them look much, much better.

Although DQ storylines have never really been much good.

How many DQ games have you actually played? Dragon Quest IX is probably the only one with a weak story due to the way you made characters. And even then it wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad either. I could say III as well because it's exactly the same, but I haven't played through it, and most NES games had pretty weak stories (FF included). That and the SNES version is in Japanese.

Dragon Quest X requires consistent internet connection… for the most part

First few hours can be played offline.

During Dragon Quest X‘s announcement press conference in Tokyo this morning, producer Yosuke Saito noted that you’d be able to clear the game 100 percent on your own, without the help of other players. Though, that doesn’t mean you can play the entire game offline.

According to the official Dragon Quest X FAQ over at Square Enix support, the Wii / Wii U sequel requires a consistent internet connection… for the most part.

“When you start the game, the first few hours can be played offline,” reads the FAQ. “To play all of the game you will require an internet connection.”

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online is scheduled to release on Wii in 2012 with a Wii U release TBA.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2011/09/dragon-quest-x-requires-consistent-internet-connection-for-the-most-part

Online game mostly then. I would prefer if it would have a regular story. MMo's do not interest me.

Oh good lord :ffs: That's fucked up. Who really wants to play an online game on the Wii? I want to play my God damn Dragon Quest and I want it to be awesome :hmph: Couldn't it just be like IX? Where the multiplayer was pretty much optional? Please? :sad2:

Just no then.

I'm completely writing this off. After concluding that Pandora's Tower looks shit, I was hoping to replace that leg of the trinity of AAA RPGs for the Wii's twilight hour with Dragon Quest X, but if it's going to be a fully online title with monthly fees slapped on a player even if all you want is the single player experience, then no thank you. Sorry Square Enix, I just don't like the idea of designating flagship numbered titles with the Online label and I just have no interest in MMOs. And you've got quite a lot to handle with three active MMOs running. I guess there's always the 11th game then, hopefully for an HD console and similar to DQVIII, but give that about another seven or eight years before we ever see it. No doubt the Japanese audience will lap it up because of the name, though for the people thinking of getting this for the Wii, it really is an awkward console to play an MMO on.

Great... Because FFXI and FFXIV was so good... (sarcasm)

Well maybe they wont try to do so much with the online and make it basic level up system and easy to understand... YEAH RIGHT!!!

Dragon Quest X online...glad I dont have a Wii

If they were making this as a free to play RPG on the PC, I would definitely play it. I'm always hooked up to the internet on here and I wouldn't have a problem with that. The Wii is a bad console for that because of its shitty WiFi. I had extremely high hopes for X to be like another Dragon Quest VIII. And on the only next gen console I own, that would've been great. But now it's going to be shit. My Wii can't stay connected to the internet. Seriously? No fucking offline mode? SE what the hell. Not everyone HAS amazing internet or a Wii that works perfectly :hmph: Not to mention not everyone wants to play an RPG socially like that.

Different species, greeaaaat. How many people are honestly going to choose anything that's not human? I wouldn't. I hope to God they're working on Dragon Quest XI as well so when this flops we can play that instead and it will be great. Then Dragon Quest XII will be shit because it's going to be like FFXIII. This is my wishes oh yes.

Level-5 could be on it right now. They got the last two games nailed so well, I wouldn't want anyone else but Level-5 to make the games now. =P

And seeing as it's Square Enix developing a Dragon Quest game for the first time, then yeah, I guess there's the likely chance we could sit back and see it get mediocre reviews. :lew:

You're getting the worst of both worlds no matter the console version you're getting. For the Wii U, it's essentially a Wii game given the port job that was just not built from the ground up for it. For the Wii, playing something online on that just seems so awkward (I don't actually know how it works. Do they still use friend codes or something?) because Nintendo has never really embraced online anywhere as readily as Sony and Microsoft have, and using USBs to get DLCs and patches seems pretty damn funny.

Oh, jeez, I didn't realize Level-5 wasn't doing it. They'd better be working on it :hmph: But it won't be for a console I have this time :sad3:

I am pretty sure they still use friend codes, yeah. The Wii U is supposed to be more like Xbox and PlayStation though. In terms of online, I heard the Wii U would be different and more like the other two. Wii U will have a single online ID.. like a gamertag in Xbox's case, or in PlayStation's case.. a PSN ID. Hahah dlc by usb connecting... xDDD. Honestly that is such a stupid idea.

Also in case anybody wanted to know where I heard it from: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/farewell-friend-codes-wii-u-to-have-single-gamertag-and-friend/

I don't think DQX will use friend codes. You'll probably make a character and register with it online. Now that you have to be online all the time, it's looking to be closer to an MMORPG. Still confused on if you share the world with everyone who is online or if you have your own world and invite friends, so it's still kind of inbetween an online RPG and and MMO (there is a difference).

Seems a tremendous waste of time and effort.I don't have a wii and I am glad I don't.

I don't undrerstand why Square is wasting our time.Maybe they think this stuff will draw in an asian audience where there is a huge market in China and they don't care what western players think but it seems ridiculous to me.
There's making their western players mad by producing junk and not quality titles anymore.
They should be concerned the western players will go to western rpgs and abandon Square altogether.

So pretty much here they go. MMO's and social gaming are looking to be the future of gaming. Something Im not a fan of. And truthfully, its all for money. They make more money on games you can play online.

I can honestly see myself giving up gaming if everything becomes online. Fighting games, racing games, and FPS, I can see having an online multiplayer component. Adventure, 3rd person action, and RPG's I think are always better when the main portion of the games are single player.

Way to go SE. Well, not just SE, this seems to be a current trend in gaming. One I hope eventually dies down.

earth to square.. FFXI And FFXIV was le shit because u fail at making them.. soo u make dragon which is an awesome game into a type of game u fail at.. even worse u put it on wii... where the interface and controls are crap at the best of times :hmph: and the graphics are worse than psp :hmph:

at least i'm looking forward to how they are going to use that big screen on the wii u XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back