• No

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

Warbsywoo

Hellodia.
Veteran
Gil
Queen Brahne: Was she all that bad?
I mean, we've always seen her as the bad person, even from her appearance frankly. :dry:
She also hinders the party's progress, and destroys Burmercia...
So is she really all that bad....?
When we see her die, do we sympathize with her?

No. I think she just lost it because her husband died, and Kuja was manipulating her. =[

I sympathized for her and garnet when she died...
I mean garnet lost her mother, and brahne caused so much trouble for everyone. You finally realize at the end of disc two that she was almost hypnotized the whole time.

By human standards, no.

By videogame standards, yes. But there wasn't really a clear villain in FFIX. Even Kuja was more a product of his environment.

Well Garnet explains that before her father died Queen Brahne was a kind person...myself i doubt that fat blue monster was any good!

She might have been manipulated by Kuja but she was still responsible for destroying Burmecia and Cleyra and killing a lot of people in the process...no matter how manipulated she was it was her lust for power that made her do those things and as such she is guilty and evil!

She's a greedy, power hungry bitch. Yeah she's evil. She didn't give a shit if she killed her own daughter (even though adopted). She wanted things to make her all-powerful and wealthy.

Sure Kuja came to her and "used" Brahne, but Brahne could say no. Kuja didn't put a spell on her, she just took an opportunity that came along to make her richer in the long-run.

I lean more towards the evil side myself.
I mean, like Busta said, Brahne could've said no, even under Kuja's influence.
Her little act in the end probably did save some face for her part though.

I think her ambitions blinded her, but it surely wasn't something that uncontrollable.

Brahne was definatly evil, I mean someone who tries to kill there own child (even if adopted) is evil. All she wanted was power and wealth and lots of it, good person before her husband died... :dry: I highly doubt it. Kuja was mabye only using Brahne, but I dont think she was hypnotized or anything I'd like to think that it was 50/50 between them both using each other for there own ends. And as for that whole I'm sorry act she protrayed just before she died, I think that was more for herself then anything else.

Last edited:
I feel bad for her though. She was power hungry, but I bet she was also lonely. She took Garnet it, but think about it...

Her own daugther AND her husband died. She loved Garnet, but it doesn't account for losing everything else.

That's true, but there are always options.
She could've avoided destroying everything or grasping everything that she set her heart to.....wait, that sounds like normal human behavior :dry:

So do you suppose it was more because of the grief and whatnot that led her to destroying lives?
Or something else?

I think it was grief and sorrow. I mean...when I get really sad about something, I usually take it out agressively. lol. Not all people do, but...you heard the famous star wars quote in the game:

Fear leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.

XD

Me and Aztec went through this part of the game last night where Garnet states:
I know i can't overlook my Mother's role she's playing in this, because she is to blame too; BUT, I will not forgive Kuja for taking advantage of her like her is.
Garnet knows her mom's corrupt too, but there is a higher power they must eliminate to root out the evil.

Exactly, Queen Brahne is very evil. My guess is that her husband kept her in line when he was the ruler of Alexandria. When he died, she was able to rule in a greedy and overbearing manner which was a reflection of her ever-present personality. It's just that her real side was never shown to anyone while the king was in power because she was not in charge and had no opportunity to show it. But she was very much greedy beforehand. I do not really blame Kuja for her corruption since Kuja says that he was sent to Gaia to create death on a large scale. He needed someone corrupt and willing to fight and he found that greed in Queen Brahne. So it was already present before he even stepped into the picture.

greedy? yes... evil? i dont think so. more like blinded by greed and manipulated by a madman who wanted to destory everything named kuja. i believe we saw the true queen brahne before her death.

I think Vivi is a Godsend to this game. He really makes the game. He gives insights constantly that would be overlooked if he didn't point them out in very subtle ways.

Vivi:
"I hate Kuja a lot. But I hate Brahne a lot, too...... so much that I wanted this to happen to her."
"I should be happy, but..."
"Once I saw Dagger start to cry, I didn't know how I should feel."
"I kind of wanted to cry, too..."

I still think Queen Brahne was evil inside. But that doesn't mean she didn't regret what she did. Perhaps it goes back to my passion topic. Maybe she just thought that expansion was the best thing for Alexandria at the time so she set out in that direction... but somewhere along the way lost sight of what she was doing in the first place. Forgot that she wanted to expand for her people's benefit and just began conquering for her own.

Greedy and Evil? During the time in the game yes, but I don't think she was inherently evil.

I remember at the end of Disc 2, when she was dying on the beach, Garnet kneeled next to her and Brahne saying something like:

“I am empty now and free of that terrible greed”

“I haven’t felt this way since I saw that play with you and your father”

So, I don’t believe that she was always evil, just terribly changed by Kuja.

In the Lifa Tree, whilst confronting Soulcage, we're informed that the Mist stirs unnatural things. This is represented by the Mist Monsters, however the party also learns that the Mist also spurs an aggressive instinct, be it willingly embraced or not, those affected by the Mist are driven to near-insanity. As is the case with Queen Brahne.

We also know that Brahne was a "caring" and "loving" woman once upon a time, so considering this as a stated fact by both Garnet and Cid Fabool, calling her evil is ridiculous. Would a gentle woman hurl her Kingdom into despair and ruin through war intentionally? I think not.

We can also assume that she had a level of greed within her, even before being consumed by the Mist influence. Upon her final scene in the game, she states:

"I am free from that terrible greed."

I hypothesize that yes, she was potentially greedy in her 'normal' state, but the Mist fed upon her darker part (that being the greed, in Brahne's case), and exaggerated her minor intent.

Evil? No. Corrupted? Yes. Brahne is as evil as my left foot.

Last edited:
Even so, no matter how much she was goaded by either Kuja or the mist, she still committed heinous acts. They were done by her, no one else. You can justify her actions all you want but in the end it was her who summoned Odin and Atomos. She alone was the one that ordered to have the eidolon extracted from Garnet. I agree that there might have been a lot of external factor but in the end it was her and no one else.

Even so, no matter how much she was goaded by either Kuja or the mist, she still committed heinous acts.
Like I said, the Mist exaggerated the lesser quality in her. That being greed, it was blown out of proportion and thus she essentially knew no other way. She can't be blamed for that; we're all greedy to an extent.

You can justify her actions all you want but in the end it was her who summoned Odin and Atomos.
Indeed, however Kuja's knowledge fed her greed immensely, and neared her further to irrationality. The summoning of these Eidolons was to aid her in attaining her prize. A prize formed from her greed.
She alone was the one that ordered to have the eidolon extracted from Garnet.
Under the influence of Kuja. Even the most stubborn of people can be persuaded.

Her greed is the reason and cause for everything. No other justification need be present, considering this is the key element of Brahne's character. You can throw her actions around accusing her of this and that, but it all boils down to the developed greed. No matter how you look at it.

That makes much sense.
So it was more like she was corrupted? o_O
To that I agree most, because like you said, she likely wasn't inherently evil, and besides, there is something in her death that made us sympathize in some way.

Back