Doctor Who

oh a relation would be good id not thought of that.

I really enjoyed series 6, hated how 7 stareted with the modelling and the divorce papers, I genuinely thoughtit was some weird dream or alternate reality as it all felt abit fake and cheesy... alas. Il have to hope it improves. I was bound to dislike it at some point as ive loved it all so far up to date :lew:

i just found this online

it's quite a nice tone-setter for the rest of the series, it's something i'd enjoy seeing in a proper episode. i would guess that she's maybe a time lord and doesn't know it, so somehow accidentally keeps travelling through time, but that seems a little too close to what they had with river song in the last series.

that would be interesting. i suppose she could get pregnant in a future episode sine she's always out of sync with the doctor's timeline. that wouldn't be so much of a cheat as using the tesselector in the last season. :hmph: i was thinking it might be something like whenever she dies, she is reborn again in a different time

thats the only thing i could think of really and as the 'older' river we know wouldnt tell him because its not happened in his time line yet what with the 'spoilers'

what would cause er to be reborn in different times, do you suppose she remembers her other lives? And she doesnt change her face when she regenerates either if that's the case...... :hmmmm:

if she is river's daughter, it could tie in to silence in the library in some way since that was the first time we saw her. i also just realised that it's SILENCE in the library, and we've still not seen the silence in this series so it might resolve that. maybe the reason she doesn't remember has something to do with how you forget about the silence when you stop looking at them? maybe she's part silence :gasp:

Oooooh so many weird theories!!!! Can't wait til sat, typically im out when its back on so il have to watch it sunday and completely avoid the internet til ive watched the first ep lol.. does she actually join him in the returning episode, i dont want it draggign out any longer than it has been, i dont feel like we've been very story driven do far this series

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, here is an excellent mini-episode that was released recently.

I’m very happy that we get to see Paul McGann’s Doctor again. I felt that the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Doctor was a brilliant Doctor trapped in quite an awful television movie. I’m glad that they've used him again on television, and that we finally see his regeneration sequence into John Hurt’s ‘War Doctor’.

A few interesting points:
1) Hurt’s War Doctor as seen at the end here is significantly younger than he appears in The Name of the Doctor. Perhaps the severity of the Time War aged Hurt’s War Doctor significantly.
2) Time Lords are seen as equally destructive and feared as the Daleks, and to become the War Doctor was the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Doctor’s choice, but a very difficult choice.
3) The Doctor’s comments at the end suggest that the audio dramas and some of the comics which the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Doctor has featured in are canonical.

There was much more that I wanted to say about it as well, but I've forgotten now.

apparently that is existing footage of john hurt from a crime and punishment tv series from 79.

it was a really interesting little episode - the sisterhood of karn are ancient and inhabited gallifrey before the time lords - so it was interesting to see them again. i like the little explanation as to where john hurt came from. my guess is that during the 50th anniversary episode, the doctor will travel back and decide not to drink the potion and therefore regenerate into eccleston instead.

has anyone seen the science of doctor who? it was a professor brian cox thing on bbc two last night. i'm watching it right now (cos who doesn't love watching brian cox) and it's really interesting!

So, about 1 minute of the new Doctor in the season/series finale. Anyone else find that a tad abrupt for an ending?

i only half watched the christmas special so i need to watch it again, but i did think his regeneration happened a bit suddenly. i get why they didn't want to drag it all out and make it overly emotional like tennant's was, but to have not seen the regeneration happen was a bit strange. i liked that amy pond came back (although i'm sure they used a different girl for her younger self); it was a really nice way to round off matt smith's time

This is the first regeneration I have seen, so I had nothing to compare it to, but it did seem a bit quick and abrupt. The sendoff was less spectacular and heroic than it could have been, and it was a shame to see the Doctor reduced to an old, frail man, with no energy, unable to think of any ideas. I think the writers could have spent more time with The Doctor and Clara; I really liked the dynamics between Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman. Mind you, I haven't watched the majority of season 7. :lew: I am looking forward to seeing what the new Doctor is like.

I liked the last 15 minutes or so..... Other than that I thought it was quite...I dunno. I felt like the episode trivialised trenzalore a bit.... I just wasn't really feeling it. Especially after the amazing high from the 50th special episode. I could sit here all day long and watch that over and over.

really hope capaldi can breath so,e life back into the show as tbh, other than the 50th I thought the whole of the last season was pretty much forgettable

edit*

and yes! the regeneration was a tad abrupt! I know technically it went on for quite some time, but it was like....instantaneous. I'm not sure what to make of that yet

I thought the abrupt regeneration was quite funny, personally.

We'd already seen Matt Smith begin the process of regeneration, and using the energy as hand-cannons at the Daleks (which gave Matt the energetic end many would feel he deserved). The actual metamorphosis itself was abrupt, but I felt that it worked well. We were well prepared for his regeneration, and if it was drawn out any more then it might have been a bit too soppy. Yet they managed to make the regeneration a shock.

Having the Doctor essentially jump straight into a shocked-looking Capaldi was quite humorous, as was Clara's shocked reaction.

I'm interested in seeing how Capaldi plays the Doctor. Matt Smith could be described as being sometimes like an old man in a young body (obviously playful etc too, but also you got a sense of him being old behind that). By the way that Capaldi seemed to have temporarily forgotten how to fly to Tardis, perhaps we're seeing a younger-acting man in an older body. Perhaps. It could be interesting. There's no reason to assume that Capaldi will play it entirely stern and scarily anyway. This is Doctor Who.

i like the theory that capaldi will be a more mature doctor. since john hurt's war doctor, we've had eccleston, tennant and smith, all of who have been young (and relatively immature) as a result of the terrible decision the war doctor had to make. now that he has had closure on the matter (in the 50th anniversary episode) he can move on from what he did and be a more mature man again.

Hmmm I didn't realise this thread existed.

I'm really excited to see how Peter Capaldi will play the doctor. I quite like him (though to me he'll be Sid's dad from Skins forever I think) and I haven't been watching it regularly because I really wasn't a fan of Matt Smith. David Tennant was my favourite.
So yeah I'll be watching again now. I've not seen the 50th anniversary episode yet so I need to get that watched soon I think

Doctor Who is by far my top favorite show on TV.
I have seen all the 2005-2014 episodes and specials except for the last few episodes in the 8th Series with Peter Capaldi. I have also watched a fair bit of classic Doctor Who. I have seen all episodes with Tom Baker (the 4th Doctor) and a season with Peter Davison (the 5th Doctor). I have also seen the 1996 Doctor Who movie with the 8th Doctor Paul McGann. I still have a lot of Doctor Who to catch up on.

My favorite Doctor is Tom Baker.
That scarf is awesome!
I want it!
Whovian for life!

How has this thread not been touched in a whole year :lew:

Really loving Capaldi as the new Doctor, some amazing episodes were had, but I think, for the most part, he is being let down by some poor writing. I enjoyed this series, more than I did the year before, I can only remmeber the episode where the Ponds left and that still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It was a more enjoyable series overall, but what I didn't like what The Doctor being led by Clara, as though she is the intelligent one and he's a bit of a hapless sidekick.

Still can't decide what I think of the Xmas episode either. I really liked the 'Scrooge' influenced one, that was clearly Christmas, without the extra cheesiness, already stated my opinions on last years above. This one, I think was better - but the Santa thing. I don't care if it was supposed to be a subconcious thing. It just felt really.....stupid

and Pooley, your facebook status the other day, got me worried. What if the entire series gets written off as a dream D:

Personally, I think Moffat has had his day. His plots are just getting stupider, as are the twists or whatever that come with them

I totally agree. Capaldi has been brilliant and I think he could really shine if there were some better scripts. He was basically a grumpy old man, a lot like William Hartnell in the beginning. Even the episodes that should have been poor (Robot of Sherwood and Mummy on the Orient Express) were really enjoyable because of Capaldi being a sour old man and bickering with people. I think Robot of Sherwood may have actually been my favourite episode.
However I do think series 8 overall was the best one since Matt Smith's first. I wasn't a fan of Clara at first, because I think they left it too long to actually make her a character whereas in the past she had just been a plot. Danny irritated me as well because he was set up in pretty much the exact same way as Clara was originally. I really liked his dynamic with The Doctor and how they constantly competed with one another.

I liked this year's Christmas episode more than previous years, since it was an original script and not an adaptation with a Doctor Who twist. But I will be seriously pissed off, though not surprised, if Moffat brings the dream crabs back as a "plot twist" later in series 9. He definitely needs to hand over the reins to someone with fresh ideas.

Back