Party members

I liked all the heroes, because they all ended up showing determination to save the world from a major threat. They vowed to stand by eachother in the face of death and terror and valiantly conquer it with righteousness in their hearts and minds to restore peace and harmony to the world.

My team on my current run through is:
Zidane: I have to
Freya: Quite a strong character and also she can get away from the action by jumping.
Vivi: Black magic is amazing
Amarant: Very powerful

my favorite team was steiner, garnet, zidane, and freya for regular battle. but for boss battle, i would prefer using eiko over freya because of her summons.

Zidane
Steiner
Vivi
Eiko/Amarant/Quina

Personally, I thought Freya wasn't that good. She seemed weak. I like the strong close combat dudes.

In my last playthrough i was using Zidane, Eiko, Steiner, and Quina. Zindane isn't a choice because you have to use him. I used Eiko for her holy and healing spells. Steiner was awsome with climbhazzard and shock to deal massive amounts of damage. Quina was overpowered if you utilized frog drop to deal a potential 9999, and had a really useful mightyguard.

However, on my current playthrough i am using Vivi instead of Quina because of his 2X magic dmg with reflect. I equipped auto reflect on steiner just casted flare off of him on the enemy.

My most favorite team to use is Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Amarant. I may occasionally switch out Amarant for Eiko if I may be fighting an boss.

Zidane: obvious reasons
Vivi: He's a black mage, duh I'll use him :P
Eiko: over Garnet, she gets to use Madeen, Phoenix and Holy
Steiner: he's strong and has good skills later in the game

Zidane: Forced to use.
Vivi: Favorite character, love the black mage in general.
Freya: Dragoon based characters are my second favorite (played a DRG/SAM on FFXI if anyone is familiar with it :P).
Quina: Unique, comic relief, big fork.

If I wanna go with story play through/cliche setup, I'd use:

Zidane: Thief/Utility/Light melee
Vivi: Nuker
Steiner: Heavy Melee
Garnet: Healer

Both parties are fun to play with.

i used:
zidane- had no choice... would still of kept him if i could choose
vivi- has no face expressions and is a kick ass black mage
steiner- because he has shiny metal on him :D.... mainly because he could use magic sword
quina- eats frogs... enough said?

My Final Fantasy IX Parties:

Zidane: mandatory. He is also a powerhouse that could deal a lot of damage very quickly. I usually have him steal in the Evil Forest until he has 99 Phoenix Pinions. By the time that happens his Thievery (when he finally gets it) would be already near 9999.
Vivi: favorite character. His black magic is very powerful, and it's always a plus to have him in your party to throw out some spells at the enemy.
Garnet: the Summoner. Her White Magic isn't as good as Eiko, nor does she get all of the spells that Eiko does. But that doesn't change the fact that she has the ones that I really need, so she acts as my healer. She is also much more powerful than Eiko in summoning, and her Trance is wicked powerful.
Quina: the best support character of all! I absolutely love Blue Mages, so Quina is almost always seen in my party and I try to get her/him as early as possible. S/he's a strong base to your party with powerful spells, status effecting spells, healing. S/he also provides strong defense and some pretty descent physical damage too. And her Death spell is the best way to train early in the game (Grand Dragon training much).

Zidane: Powerhouse (see above).
Vivi: Favorite character. Black magic is sweet (see above).
Steiner: one of the strongest characters in the game. His physical attacks are devastating and he's a tank in battle. I really don't use his abilities, but I use "Magic Sword" alot. Physical damage + black magic = pwn. Him and Vivi are the power duo of the entire game.
Quina: Blue mages are AWESOME (see above).

I also like swapping out the third slot with the following character:

Eiko: she's an awesome healer. I primarily use her for her White Magic and for Phoenix. Other than that, she has little use in battle. What I like, though, is that if I need her to deal some damage her summons can do a descent job (and depending on what I equip her with I could deal different elemental damage).

I also like swapping out the fourth character slot with the following characters:

Freya: she is the second best support party character under Quina. I like her abilities and Jump is awesome. I mean, who doesn't like a Dragoon. This option, sadly, is rarely used. I probably have "one" file using her in my party when I have a choice (does not include when you have to use her). Her Trance by the way, has been a life saver many times (spear shower, hehehe).

Amarant: only when I have Garnet in the third slot. His "chakra" ability is amazing to have when you have a party of mages that are throwing out spells like crazy. Other than that, he serves the same purpose as Zidane: damage dealer. I just use "attack" with him, or "throw" (but only with his wheels, none of my precious items). He's also a valuable part in beating Osomos (not even going to check if I spelled that correctly). The hardest boss in the game, but with Amarant in my fourth slot and Steiner in my third, I could beat the giant ball in under four turns (I think I did it in one turn before, maybe two).

In my first game my party consisted of Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Steiner, if I remember correctly. In my second game I replaced Garnet with Eiko and Vivi with Freya.
I just love Eiko <3 And Freya is awesome, although she wasn't the main damage dealer (that was Zidane and/or Steiner).

Zidane: Well... you kinda have to use him. xD;;; He's a nice powerhouse. Even from the beginning of the game he deals a load of damage compared to the rest.

Garnet: My healer and my summoner. While her magic isn't as good as Eiko's, it works, and she's a beast at summoning. Besides, she joins the party earlier than Eiko, so I just grew accustomed to her. xD;;;

Freya: She's mainly in here because I like her character overall. She's not as strong as, say, Zidane; but her jump can deal some pretty heavy damage.

Vivi: He's cute as hell, great at magic, and did I mention cute? His magic has saved me countless times, so I just can't imagine my party without Vivi in it.

Zidane - just because I have to. If I could choose, I'd put Freya here, for jump attacks and dragoon abilities.
Dagger - for healing and unleashing the latest summon.
Steiner - for using combo attacks with Vivi, and powerhouse sword attacks.
Vivi - blasting enemies with spells, and helping Steiner.

Zidane, Eiko, Vivi, and Freya. I usually use Freya for support, and of course Eiko for healing, while Zidane and Vivi do the damage. But I occasionally bring in Steiner for his big damage, and Amarant for his Chakra.

Zidane- Mandatory, but he deals out his fare share of damage to enemies. So no complaints with him. Grand Lethal anybody?
Garnet/Dagger- Healing and summoning.
Vivi- Kickass mage, love his magic. Favorite character in the game by far.
Steiner- This is the hard selection for the 4th member. But how can you pass up his damage, and his option for Vivi with magic sword. That just spells P-W-N

I rarely ever use Quina. I felt she was the most useless character I have ever seen besides Cait Sith in FFVII. I normally do a good amount of alternating in Eiko, Amarant and Freya. But the above mentioned are my main party that I use in the game.

Freya - 9999 DMG w/ Dragon Crest
Steiner - 9999 DMG w/ Shock
Vivi - 9999 DMG w/ Flare + Reflect + Reflect x 2
Umm... Zidane - 9999 DMG w/ ..uh..Solution 9 :/ never bothered powering Thievery up.
I don't bother healing. I never actually casted White Magic except for when Garnet/Eiko was mandatory in my party :ness:

Hmmmmm my final 4, and 4 for Ozma (and therefore my best XD )

Zidane - Best Trance, so always made sure the bar was 3/4 charged. Decent attack.
Freya - Dragon Crest, simples
Steiner - Shock, Chimhazzard if I'm feeling saucy, good attack.
Eiko - Holy, Healing, Double white on trance was a godsend sometimes!

Back