Party members

Zidane - obviously
Stener - high atk and def and also can use sword magic for enemies weak against elements.
Garnet - she has arc and bahmut, also i just prefer her generally over eiko
amarant - his flare attacks are immense and his atck is high

For the earlier half of the game i take vivi with me but by midway magic starts to lose its effectivness so i usually take amarant or freya.

My party usually consisted of:

Zidane: I really liked using him, plus he had the steal ability, and his trance attacks were usually boss killers.

Steiner: I also liked using him, he some the highest attack power, and magic sword was an awesome ability.

Vivi: Black magic. Nuff said.:P

Garnet: Her white magic, and summoning.

And sometimes I might switch out garnet for either Freya or Amarant.:)

I used Zidane, Steiner, Vivi and Eko...I chose her over dagger because of
dagger not being able to concentrate
...each had their advantages, although I liked Holy and Phoenix summon of Eiko in a pinch . If I could have switched out Zidane for Amarant I probably would have, Amarant could do some major damage

I stuck with Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Garnet/Eiko. I would switch out Eiko and Garnet based on the occasion, as I noticed that Garnet does better in the battle against Necron whilst Eiko does better against Kuja and Grand Dragons.

So yeah, Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Garnet/Eiko. I didn't really use anyone else.

I usually use:
Zidane:Stealing is fun sometimes.
Vivi:Love him and his magic.
Steiner:Really helpful and strong.
Garnet/Eiko:For their summins and white magic.

I'd say the 'safe team' is usually Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Garnet, or perhaps Eiko. That usually was mine as well, it works well for boss fights. I appreciated all of the characters though (except Quina), so I used them all pretty frequently when I could. I'd prefer to have an all attack team just to make random battles easier instead of having a couple dull characters. I usually saved Vivi's magic for boss fights since I didn't want to use up his magic on pointless fights...and I saved ether's like they would be my last meal. So sometimes I'd have Zidane, Steiner, Freya, and Amarant. If I got hurt I'd usually have Eiko heal me between fights and it wasn't much of an issue.

I go for physical attacks.

zidane, freya, steiner, aramant. After you get auto haste with auto regen and auto life you don't need to cure as your hp will heal extreamly fast. I don't know which is faster ff9 or ff7.

I always choose Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, and Garnet. Eiko is pretty good too, but by the time I got her, Garnet had all the magic she had, plus some. Vivi and Zidane are must haves, and Steiner is just another powerhouse to round things off. Some battles are good for Freya though, because Reis' Wind comes in handy. As for Amarant, he seemed like such an arbitrary character all around. "Well, we have the Hero, Black Mage, White Mage, Summoner, Knight, and Dragoon. Where's the monk?" Not to mention that some of the NPCs had more character than him. In a cast of shining examples of well craftted personalities, Amarant had something really trite and unnappealing to him.

I've only got Zidane, Steiner, Vivi and Garnet so I'm sorta forced to use them. =/
But once I get the other party members, I'll most likely still use them.

I used:
Zidane: Well . . . he's the main party member, so I probably well use him.
Garnet: She's a summoner and because she cast white magic.
Steiner: Although he's gay but he was kinda strong.
Vivi: he's my favorite character and he cast Black magic. :monster:

I went for a very classic setting for my party (not unlike the party I had for FF1) composed by the following:

Zidane: Though obligatory a well rounded character both gameplay and story-wise. A fun character to develop. I tought it was nice for a thief to be a FF protagonist.

Garnet: It's hard to do without summons or white magic and garnet does both very well. I also admire her as a character because of how she develops.

Steiner: A comical character (sometimes socially impaired) but a wonderful warrior and tanker (his magic sword skill is useful, especially Doomsday Sword)

Vivi: A first-class nuker and a great character to follow story-wise. Vivi represents the typical black mage and adds a whole new dimension to the spellcaster.

I used:

Zidane, no choice in that until Memoria, but by then he was so beefed up that i didn't want him out of the group anyway.

Freya, her dragon knight abilities are very useful as well as jump is too. I also picked her because i'm a dragoon fan. Enough said. :D

Eiko, Her summons swang it for me over Dagger, plus she's a great white mage anyway.

Vivi, every group has to have a black mage, and my group is no exception.

Last edited:
No one uses the party I use! Or atleast I didn't seen anyone list them.

I use Zidane,Garnet,Steiner, and Eiko.

Garnet - Her summons and a healer at times. Plus I have to have her in the party with Zidane. ;p

Steiner - His physical attack and shock.

Eiko - Her healing abilities and some of the summons.

Back